Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Post-Brexit Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Post-Brexit Thread
Closed Thread

Old 26-11-2016, 23:32   #2776
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
You sure it's not down to Brexit?
Most cetainly not! I was uneducated before we even went in!
Advertisement
Old 26-11-2016, 23:37   #2777
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I'm uneducated, it's not my fault. I blame the government!
Well done. Seems on this forum most would blame immigrants or the EU.

Convenient scapegoats for our own failings, and I look forward to seeing who our politicians blame for our problems when we leave the EU, as we're almost certain to.

India have told us to get lost as far as a trade deal goes without liberalising immigration policies.

Our economy is doing well despite the allegedly massive drag of being in the EU and the Single Market.

Anyone would think that perhaps the best idea is to not mess with things and carry on as we are, as it's clearly a formula that's working.

Note: For those 'expert' types, there are massive structural issues in the UK economy. These are nothing to do with the EU and our leaving the EU's only impact on them is negative, in that it throws a whole bunch of other problems into the mix to try and solve.

A 'hard' Brexit will hurt. A lot. There is absolutely no evidence to indicate it will do anything other than hurt our economy. While evidence is not something that people seem to pay attention to it's worth mentioning. The OBR forecasts, and it's worth mentioning this is an institution born solely to be politically independent, are if anything optimistic if the UK does leave both Single Market and the customs union. These not the same thing despite the nonsense that the leave side are peddling.

Few things quite put the nonsense into context quite like that 'Leave means leave' are advertising what the UK might do with the 10 billion a year 'EU windfall' while the OBR as forecasting that Brexit will leave a multi-billion pound a year hole in the UK's finances.

Still if people want to carry on deluding themselves Leave.eu are only happy to carry on lying to them. After all, they have been doing it successfully for months, why change a winning formula?

Last edited by Ignitionnet; 27-11-2016 at 01:11.
Old 27-11-2016, 00:05   #2778
RizzyKing

Quite a few of us have stated here that brexit will not be a fix for all and that there will be a period of hardship as we re-establish things as they were before the EU and also a few punitive measures from the EU. I can't argue with some people blaming everything on immigrants and whilst not completely true it's also not completely untrue in some areas and in regard to some migrant communities. Right now the debate seems to be being handled by extremes from both sides who don't represent the majority.

Old 27-11-2016, 00:08   #2779
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Talking of the OBR forecast, here's a good sound bite for a Political Campaign

Brexit will cost £58.7bn. Let's spend it on the NHS instead

Old 27-11-2016, 00:29   #2780
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Talking of the OBR forecast, here's a good sound bite for a Political Campaign

Brexit will cost £58.7bn. Let's spend it on the NHS instead

I need time to pay.

Will £350million a week do?
Old 27-11-2016, 01:00   #2781
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I'm uneducated, it's not my fault. I blame the government!
I never progressed higher than A Level.

However, I've never stopped being educated - it's my responsibility to learn more, not anyone else's to teach me.

I take personal responsibility for my learning and education- I refuse to devolve that to others.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 27-11-2016, 01:05   #2782
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

However, I've never stopped being educated - it's my responsibility to learn more, not anyone else's to teach me.

I take personal responsibility for my learning and education- I refuse to devolve that to others.
Dropped out before I'd finished a year of university, however am funding an MSc.

Not cheap but if you want the knowledge, skills and opportunities that it provides you have to be prepared to pay for them, and have to show you have the ability and aptitude to pursue the course.

Like many other things, something you have to do for yourself as no-one else will.
Old 27-11-2016, 01:06   #2783
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:

It was a tongue in cheek comment in reply to Igni due to my typo's. Also a bit of a dig at Mr K.

As Kenny Everett would have said "All in the best possible taste!"
Old 27-11-2016, 01:08   #2784
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Dropped out before I'd finished a year of university, however am funding an MSc.

Not cheap but if you want the knowledge, skills and opportunities that it provides you have to be prepared to pay for them, and have to show you have the ability and aptitude to pursue the course.

Like many other things, something you have to do for yourself as no-one else will.
Agree - self-funded my M.Sc, but dropped out after a year, as I found no practical application for what was being taught, but thing are better now 20 years on.
Old 27-11-2016, 01:12   #2785
RizzyKing

Education never stops for most people as I've grown older I've learned new skills some trivial some more involved but a constant drip drip of skills as my life changes. Academically few of them would qualify as skills but academic achievement is not the be all and end all and not all education is necessarily academic in nature, that's why i don't like people being judged based on perceived standards and prefer judging people on what they do and how they think. A good idea doesn't cease to be a good idea if the person who has it misspells words describing that idea or cannot give the mathmatical formulations that make it good.

Old 27-11-2016, 01:13   #2786
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Agree - self-funded my M.Sc, but dropped out after a year, as I found no practical application for what was being taught, but thing are better now 20 years on.
Mine is an outstanding one, internationally renowned, with the price tag to match.

As no-one else is going to fund such things falls to me.
Old 27-11-2016, 01:14   #2787
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

I dropped out of a tech degree with the OU back in the 80's but then again, I'm uneducated so it's no surprise.
Old 27-11-2016, 01:18   #2788
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
Education never stops for most people as I've grown older I've learned new skills some trivial some more involved but a constant drip drip of skills as my life changes. Academically few of them would qualify as skills but academic achievement is not the be all and end all and not all education is necessarily academic in nature, that's why i don't like people being judged based on perceived standards and prefer judging people on what they do and how they think. A good idea doesn't cease to be a good idea if the person who has it misspells words describing that idea or cannot give the mathmatical formulations that make it good.
Agreed - but using 'educated' as an insult leads to the dumbing down of society, and denigrates those who spend time learning and feeding back value (such as teachers, doctors, engineers, etc.) being devalued.

---------- Post added at 01:18 ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 ----------

Quote:
I dropped out of a tech degree with the OU back in the 80's but then again, I'm uneducated so it's no surprise.
Who, besides yourself, has called you uneducated?
Old 27-11-2016, 01:18   #2789
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Agreed - but using 'educated' as an insult leads to the dumbing down of society, and denigrates those who spend time learning and feeding back value (such as teachers, doctors, engineers, etc.) being devalued.
But I must be uneducated, Mr K says so as I voted Brexit.
Old 27-11-2016, 01:20   #2790
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Regrettably that's where we are. Being educated is considered something of a negative characteristic. Personal experience is where it's at now, even when that experience has no bearing on basically anything.

Perhaps this was the inevitable progression of how our careers progressed, based around technical and procedural experience. It somehow morphed into the experience of simply being alive, whether exposed to anything that actually broadened knowledge base or not, being superior to an education.
Closed Thread