Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 07:26   #2701
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Not an obsession. But a bit strange that on a day when he's found to be breaking the law, Brexiiters suddenly become interested in the Working Time Directive.
I think you will find that the Working Time Directive was quoted at the time of the referendum as an example of legislation that was unhelpful to employers.

It's far more relevant to the debate than Aaron Banks - that is just a side-show designed to undermine the result of the referendum. It won't work.
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2018, 07:44   #2702
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
My point is that employers want employees to be totally flexible to their needs and that, whilst this law does exist and will help some people, most will ultimately have no choice.
Which employers though? I have worked shifts and in shops, now office based.

A huge number of employers still want Monday to Friday in some form or another. Most people I know work Monday to Friday including delivery drivers and care home workers.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:55   #2703
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Two.
You can’t count. I see none, as usual. But please do keep wittering on about sod all.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:58   #2704
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post

A huge number of employers still want Monday to Friday in some form or another. Most people I know work Monday to Friday including delivery drivers and care home workers.
My brother works Monday to Friday but in the 8 weeks leading up to Christmas he has to work the Saturday morning as well.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:00   #2705
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:

... of which statistically 52% voted to leave the awful, hegemonic EU.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:33   #2706
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Healthcare and or care home workers don't work just Mon - Fri, they work Sat and Sunday's as well, patients/residents don't suddenly go home for the weekend, they require round the clock care, 24/7, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:42   #2707
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
A complete history here

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full...23263X18760547

Knock yourself out, once you’ve Read it, any chance of doing us a quick appraisal?
Thank you so much for such a good source! It's fairly dry but I have certainly read dryer journal articles...

OK, so a quick appraisal of the article then (these are just my thoughts and interpretations);
  • The initial proposal came from the commission as a Health and Safety proposal. The WTD does of course cover both social and Health and Safety policies. It's not clear how the initial proposal was decided to be one or the other. I have managed to find the original transmission to the Council of Ministers here - https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...PC0317&from=EN
  • Including 'on call' time in the working hours is a tough one. Ideally, I would pro rate the 'on call' hours but what fraction would you assign to this on call time? Being able to pick up the phone to answer a quick question requires a whole different level of commitment to being ready to perform emergency surgery for example. Who decides the on call fraction?
  • The aim to try and enforce the WTD on a 'per person' rather than 'per contract' by the commission during the attempted reviewing of the directive would have reinforced this as an H&S directive
  • A 'per contract' enforcement of the WTD is more favourable to highly collective labour forces such as Germany and France, hence the feedback from consultations of works councils and lack of overall agreement on the setup of the WTD
  • Like many EU directives, the WTD is a bit of a fudge, balancing local customs and the need for harmonisation. The 'fudging' allowed a number of opt outs that have been used to a greater or lesser extent by member states and some of these have needed reinterpretation by CJEU

Having to need the courts to refine laws is of course nothing new. From that paper, it does look like the WTD is a pretty 'loose' law, needing quite a lot of judicial clarification. However, I don't know if this is a normal level of intervention for EU or UK laws to be honest and it would be interesting to find out.

---------- Post added at 10:42 ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
That link will do. The French thing is well known by those watching it at the time; they are also the ones that opposed the Services Directive for the same reasons.[COLOR="Silver"]
I still haven't found evidence that the French were responsible for making this an H&S directive rather than a social one. I have only found the original proposal from the commission where it was already an H&S one. Was it at the Commission level? Assuming it was in the Second College of the Delors Commission, the commissioner in charge of Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion was Vasso Papandreou from Greece
Old 07-11-2018, 11:13   #2708
Bircho
cf.addict

Bircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Thank you so much for such a good source! It's fairly dry but I have certainly read dryer journal articles...

OK, so a quick appraisal of the article then (these are just my thoughts and interpretations);
  • The initial proposal came from the commission as a Health and Safety proposal. The WTD does of course cover both social and Health and Safety policies. It's not clear how the initial proposal was decided to be one or the other. I have managed to find the original transmission to the Council of Ministers here - https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...PC0317&from=EN
  • Including 'on call' time in the working hours is a tough one. Ideally, I would pro rate the 'on call' hours but what fraction would you assign to this on call time? Being able to pick up the phone to answer a quick question requires a whole different level of commitment to being ready to perform emergency surgery for example. Who decides the on call fraction?
  • The aim to try and enforce the WTD on a 'per person' rather than 'per contract' by the commission during the attempted reviewing of the directive would have reinforced this as an H&S directive
  • A 'per contract' enforcement of the WTD is more favourable to highly collective labour forces such as Germany and France, hence the feedback from consultations of works councils and lack of overall agreement on the setup of the WTD
  • Like many EU directives, the WTD is a bit of a fudge, balancing local customs and the need for harmonisation. The 'fudging' allowed a number of opt outs that have been used to a greater or lesser extent by member states and some of these have needed reinterpretation by CJEU

Having to need the courts to refine laws is of course nothing new. From that paper, it does look like the WTD is a pretty 'loose' law, needing quite a lot of judicial clarification. However, I don't know if this is a normal level of intervention for EU or UK laws to be honest and it would be interesting to find out.

---------- Post added at 10:42 ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 ----------

I still haven't found evidence that the French were responsible for making this an H&S directive rather than a social one. I have only found the original proposal from the commission where it was already an H&S one. Was it at the Commission level? Assuming it was in the Second College of the Delors Commission, the commissioner in charge of Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion was Vasso Papandreou from Greece
More to do with nmw rather than wtd but Whittlestone v BJP Home Support Ltd is the case law you need. Basically a care worker on duty overnight was to be paid even if sleeping as they were required to be on duty. By the same process the wtd would therefore also apply.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:48   #2709
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

As you may deduce from the above posts, the Working Time Directive, along with much other employment related legislation (such as the Acquired Rights Directive and the General Data Protection Regulation) is an employer's nightmare.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:49   #2710
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
says the man that don't understand all treaty cease mean in article 50 and cut the abuse out I never abused you and not gonna stope to your level
Quote:
Go for the ball, not the man. You weaken your subsequent points by your unnecessary put-down.
Quote:
Why don't you just stick to the facts and avoid the personal attacks?
Just calling it how I see it.
Old 07-11-2018, 14:00   #2711
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

The Government has responded to the "Stop possible second referendum on E.U. membership" petition.

Quote:
A clear majority of the electorate voted to leave the European Union. We must respect both the will of the British people, and the democratic process which delivered this result.

The Government is clear that we will respect the result of the 2016 referendum, and that we will not hold a second referendum.

A clear majority of the electorate voted to leave the European Union in the 2016 referendum. Almost three quarters of the electorate took part in the referendum, resulting in 17.4 million votes to leave the European Union. This is the highest number of votes cast for anything in UK electoral history. This was the biggest democratic mandate for a course of action ever directed at any UK Government.

Parliament then overwhelmingly confirmed the result of the referendum by voting with clear and convincing majorities in both of its Houses for the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Bill.

In last year’s General Election, over 80% of people then also voted for parties committing to respect the result of the referendum - it was the stated policy of both major parties that the decision of the people would be respected. The Government is clear that it is now its duty to implement the will expressed by the electorate in the referendum - respecting both the will of the British people, and the democratic process which delivered the referendum result.

The British people must be able to trust in its Government both to effect their will, and to deliver the best outcome for them. As the Prime Minister has said: “This is about more than the decision to leave the EU; it is about whether the public can trust their politicians to put in place the decision they took.” In upholding that directive to withdraw from the European Union, the Government is delivering on that promise. We recognise that to do otherwise would be to undermine the decision of the British people, and to disrespect the powerful democratic values of this country and this government.

The Government therefore continues to be committed to delivering on the instruction given to us by the British people: working to overcome the challenges and seize the opportunities this brings to deliver an outcome which betters the lives of British people - whether they voted to Leave or to Remain.

The people of the United Kingdom gave a clear instruction and the Government is committed to seeing that through. We will leave the European Union on 29 March 2019.

Department for Exiting the European Union
(My bold)
Old 07-11-2018, 14:59   #2712
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
As you may deduce from the above posts, the Working Time Directive, along with much other employment related legislation (such as the Acquired Rights Directive and the General Data Protection Regulation) is an employer's nightmare.
Oh absolutely but to not have these protections would be a employees nightmare.

Some EU countries go well beyond the directives, especially with employees rights and data protection - try backing up Belgian employee information on a US server or generating employee identifiable metrics in Germany and see how far you get! It tends to be that the countries with the best union/works council representation have the strictest regulations - you can get away with much more in the UK than Germany for example.
Old 07-11-2018, 15:23   #2713
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/st...88180178186241

Quote:
BREAKING: Cabinet ministers have been invited to read a copy of the draft Brexit Withdrawal Agreement this afternoon. Emergency Cabinet meeting to sign it off set to happen either tomorrow or Monday, say Whitehall sources
Old 07-11-2018, 15:31   #2714
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
No10 sources say draft Withdrawal Agreement does not include Irish backstop, as that has not yet been agreed. Email to Cabinet ministers does not make that clear. Emergency meeting now looking like next week.

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/st...91512678621186
Old 07-11-2018, 15:41   #2715
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Oh absolutely but to not have these protections would be a employees nightmare.

Some EU countries go well beyond the directives, especially with employees rights and data protection - try backing up Belgian employee information on a US server or generating employee identifiable metrics in Germany and see how far you get! It tends to be that the countries with the best union/works council representation have the strictest regulations - you can get away with much more in the UK than Germany for example.
I would prefer much more straight forward UK legislation where it is needed. EU legislation is incredibly complex. So much so that even lawyers struggle with it and are not at all sure which way cases will go.
Closed Thread