Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 19:33   #2686
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Most employees don't really have the choice though in the real world, just as they don't regarding Sunday working.
Most employees have plenty of choice, unless they work in the NHS. Jobs are advertised with the hours expected. If it matters to you that you don't work Sundays and not more than 48 hours per week, then don't apply for a job that requires this.
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2018, 19:39   #2687
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
i agreed with you on the other two, but you avoided my question on why the WTD is a bad thing...

The process may not have been ideal, but the outcome was optimal (unless you are an employer who didn’t want to give your employees decent holidays or working hours).
<SNIP>
Fair enough. Actually I didn't say it was a bad thing although I like the idea of the UK being more competitive than France by being more flexible in terms of labour laws. As it happens, we secured opt-outs that I find acceptable.

The con was the device used to thwart our veto. It's one of the reasons I hate them as an institution.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 06-11-2018, 20:29   #2688
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

You know that European Army we were told, by Europhile Nick Clegg, would never happen?

https://fullfact.org/europe/hunt-eu-army/

Well, typically, and as I have previously commented on, here it comes.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8619721.html

And Macron, the stupid French Twit, reckons they need it to protect themselves against the US?? That’s just offensive.

So you see the end game here is to dissolve NATO. Well I know who I would rather pin my allegiance too. The yanks or cheese eating surrender monkeys.............
Old 06-11-2018, 20:39   #2689
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
Most employees have plenty of choice, unless they work in the NHS. Jobs are advertised with the hours expected. If it matters to you that you don't work Sundays and not more than 48 hours per week, then don't apply for a job that requires this.
My point is that employers want employees to be totally flexible to their needs and that, whilst this law does exist and will help some people, most will ultimately have no choice.
Old 06-11-2018, 20:40   #2690
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Fair enough. Actually I didn't say it was a bad thing although I like the idea of the UK being more competitive than France by being more flexible in terms of labour laws. As it happens, we secured opt-outs that I find acceptable.

The con was the device used to thwart our veto. It's one of the reasons I hate them as an institution.
Hi, I have been trying to find anything about France making this an H&S issue but I haven’t had luck yet. Could you link me up? I worked ld be interested to know basis the WTD was before the change.

I did find an interesting parliamentary research paper discussing the WTD including the UK objections to the H&S basis of the WTD and the subsequent ECJ judgement. It also has nice appendices on the working hours and holidays of different then EU countries - http://researchbriefings.files.parli...6/RP96-106.pdf
Old 06-11-2018, 21:07   #2691
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Hi, I have been trying to find anything about France making this an H&S issue but I haven’t had luck yet. Could you link me up?
A complete history here

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full...23263X18760547

Knock yourself out, once you’ve Read it, any chance of doing us a quick appraisal?
Old 06-11-2018, 22:05   #2692
Bircho
cf.addict

Bircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
And the ones who really want to leave like me - do not give a shit one way or the other, leaving was not just about money FFS, we just want to get out of that cancerous club.

This is why we need to leave the EU in it's entirety - we do not need to be in a con job membership club to do trade deals. The other benefit is, we also save £39 Billion divorce bill, another con the corrupted EU said we owe them, they have robbed us and conned us for years - time to get on and leave that toxic shambolic union.
Mick whilst it may not be just about the money there are a LOT of businesses exposed. It is not only the loss of trade but many took a big hit, particularly on cash reserves when pound fell after the vote. Another drop of 10%+ will kill many businesses. There is much more to it than in any out especially if profitable businesses can't pay wages because they ain't got cash.

Last edited by Bircho; 06-11-2018 at 22:10.
Old 06-11-2018, 23:01   #2693
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
You know that European Army we were told, by Europhile Nick Clegg, would never happen?

https://fullfact.org/europe/hunt-eu-army/

Well, typically, and as I have previously commented on, here it comes.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8619721.html

And Macron, the stupid French Twit, reckons they need it to protect themselves against the US?? That’s just offensive.

So you see the end game here is to dissolve NATO. Well I know who I would rather pin my allegiance too. The yanks or cheese eating surrender monkeys.............
Donald Trump has talked about leaving NATO too

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...t-would-happen
Old 06-11-2018, 23:14   #2694
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
Donald Trump has talked about leaving NATO too

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...t-would-happen
Duh.......Dave i’m Starting to worry that you’re not the sharpest tool in the box, so to speak.

Because, pretty much since the end of the war, and certainly in recent years, the US has pretty much bankrolled NATO and most of the EU, post Cold War.

The reason Trump questioned the US role in NATO was because the EU members were/are taking the piss. Spending sod all and relying on the US to provide the muscle.

I agree with Trump on this issue.
Old 06-11-2018, 23:29   #2695
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Duh.......Dave i’m Starting to worry that you’re not the sharpest tool in the box, so to speak.

Because, pretty much since the end of the war, and certainly in recent years, the US has pretty much bankrolled NATO and most of the EU, post Cold War.

The reason Trump questioned the US role in NATO was because the EU members were/are taking the piss. Spending sod all and relying on the US to provide the muscle.

I agree with Trump on this issue.
says the man that don't understand all treaty cease mean in article 50 and cut the abuse out I never abused you and not gonna stope to your level
Old 06-11-2018, 23:35   #2696
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Why don't you just stick to the facts and avoid the personal attacks?
Old 06-11-2018, 23:52   #2697
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Duh.......Dave i’m Starting to worry that you’re not the sharpest tool in the box, so to speak. .
Go for the ball, not the man. You weaken your subsequent points by your unnecessary put-down.

---------- Post added at 23:52 ---------- Previous post was at 23:47 ----------

Quote:
Wtf is this obsession with Banks FFS ?

No wonder nothing.

Banks is a multi millionaire, the fines imposed are small change to him - it's not bad news for him or Brexiteers.

- you keep going on about him but he did not help me make my decision to vote leave and I am damn well sure that goes for millions of others. There is nothing to discuss about Banks.
Not an obsession. But a bit strange that on a day when he's found to be breaking the law, Brexiiters suddenly become interested in the Working Time Directive.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 06-11-2018 at 23:56.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:42   #2698
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Go for the ball, not the man. You weaken your subsequent points by your unnecessary put-down.

Not an obsession. But a bit strange that on a day when he's found to be breaking the law, Brexiiters suddenly become interested in the Working Time Directive.
Yawn, do you actually have any valid point here or what ?
Old 07-11-2018, 03:41   #2699
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Yawn, do you actually have any valid point here or what ?
Two.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:00   #2700
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Hi, I have been trying to find anything about France making this an H&S issue but I haven’t had luck yet. Could you link me up? I worked ld be interested to know basis the WTD was before the change.

I did find an interesting parliamentary research paper discussing the WTD including the UK objections to the H&S basis of the WTD and the subsequent ECJ judgement. It also has nice appendices on the working hours and holidays of different then EU countries - http://researchbriefings.files.parli...6/RP96-106.pdf
That link will do. The French thing is well known by those watching it at the time; they are also the ones that opposed the Services Directive for the same reasons.

---------- Post added at 06:00 ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post

You're being ridiculous. What's the big deal with Banks? To hell with him and the clutching at straws that some Remainers have in their heads.

I brought in the WTD not as a diversion from Banks but to keep us focused on the shenanigans of the EU and in that case protection of France's interests. Are you Remainers really respecters of the rigged Cap (in favour of France)? Are you really in favour of the rigged Euro (in favour of Germany)? Are you really in favour of the perfidious Irish using the CU to try and keep us shackled to the EU (in favour of Irish exports)?

You might well argue, and some of you have, that we brought this on ourselves by voting Leave. Be that as it may, the EU are determined to wreck Brexit and they should be vilified for their perfidy rather than the democratic Leave vote.

My advice is at your risk.
Closed Thread