Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The state benefits system mega-thread.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The state benefits system mega-thread.

Old 03-04-2013, 17:00   #256
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread. Many merged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Not this guy, after all the policy hadn't come into effect. I mean generally, the idea is that this is the normal benefit aside from housing benefit and any additional disability allowance or child benefits. Which would mean the £56 is for bills, travel, food, drink and any other expense apart from housing.
Are we talking about the same thing ?

I am talking about David Bennet who challenged to IDS to live on the same income (£53pw) as he does .It turns out that Bennet does not live on £53 pw his net income is £53 pw that is after bills ,his gambling and blowing his inheritance on the gee gees
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2013, 17:07   #257
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Are we talking about the same thing ?

I am talking about David Bennet who challenged to IDS to live on the same income (£53pw) as he does .It turns out that Bennet does not live on £53 pw his net income is £53 pw that is after bills ,his gambling and blowing his inheritance on the gee gees
Yes but other than this guy, who earns additional money on the side, people will need to live on £53 a week excluding housing costs and council bills. I am talking about if someone can live on £53 a week, realistically.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 17:22   #258
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Yes but other than this guy, who earns additional money on the side, people will need to live on £53 a week excluding housing costs and council bills.
oh i'm sure some will ,in fact i'm dam sure i've been close to that myself .

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:17 ----------

Quote:
Yes but other than this guy, who earns additional money on the side, people will need to live on £53 a week excluding housing costs and council bills. I am talking about if someone can live on £53 a week, realistically.
Sorry missed your edit

As long as bills like housing and CT are paid and all you have to buy is food then yes ,like i said it would be a crap existence but you would not starve .£20-25 pw and a trip to farmfoods will feed a single person for a week
Old 03-04-2013, 17:39   #259
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Interesting. on a scale of 1 to 10 how close to death were you?
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 17:40   #260
tizmeinnit

Quote:

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:17 ----------

Sorry missed your edit

As long as bills like housing and CT are paid and all you have to buy is food then yes ,like i said it would be a crap existence but you would not starve .£20-25 pw and a trip to farmfoods will feed a single person for a week
20% council tax payable now by those on benefits. Gas Electric Water TV licence internet to look for work bus fairs to and from the job centre you will be luck to have much more than a tenner.When I refer to the £53 a week I refer to IDS claim not the joker

---------- Post added at 17:40 ---------- Previous post was at 17:40 ----------

Quote:

It does not
In IDS claims it does
Old 03-04-2013, 17:41   #261
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Sounds like a life support thing. as long as you're still breathing and have a pulse. that's all that matters
Old 03-04-2013, 17:45   #262
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

For anyone prepared to cook food themselves that sort of money could properly feed a person for a week using stuff like potatoes, pasta, rice, fresh/frozen vegetables, chicken, cheap mince (horse styleee ) oats, tinned fish, cheese, eggs milk etc.
Certain convenience foods, branded goods, red meats, takeaways etc. tend to be much more expensive and therein lies part of the problem - many people seem unable or unwilling to prepare simple healthy food for themselves.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 17:47   #263
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
For anyone prepared to cook food themselves that sort of money could properly feed a person for a week using stuff like potatoes, pasta, rice, fresh/frozen vegetables, chicken, cheap mince (horse styleee ) oats, tinned fish, cheese, eggs milk etc.
Certain convenience foods, branded goods, red meats, takeaways etc. tend to be much more expensive and therein lies part of the problem - many people seem unable or unwilling to prepare simple healthy food for themselves.
how much are you talking about?
Old 03-04-2013, 17:48   #264
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

£50
Old 03-04-2013, 17:52   #265
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Well you can buy a loaf of bread for 50p. but it won't be as fresh as it should be after a couple of days so you'd have to buy another one.
and then there's way too much bread to eat. so you probably wouldn't want to eat anything else if you had to eat all the bread.

which means you wouldn't be hungry enough to eat the 'healthy and vitamin rich' foods.
saying that you can buy a bottle of vitamins.

---------- Post added at 17:52 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

Quote:
£50
Are we stealing the gas and leccy?
Old 03-04-2013, 17:53   #266
tizmeinnit

Quote:
£50
If I had £53 a week to feed off yes I concede that can be done quite easily but when IDS made his claim he stated live off not just feed himself off they are 2 different things afterall no one knew what this guy got till well after IDS made his claim

JSA claimants have to manage on £70 now none of them are likely to have a spare room so unlikely to fall foul of bedroom tax however those who live away from home will fall foul of the new council tax rules leaving them on around £67 a week this to me is around the bare minimum you can run a bedsit off and eat when you include utilities and internet or daily travel to job centres and libraries

I worked it out yesterday on £53 a week I would be able to pay my way if I lived in a bedsit and buy 2 loaves of bread 2 bottles of milk and a few tins of beans for the week

If I lived in this house I would be £20 in debt every week
Old 03-04-2013, 17:59   #267
Osem
Inactive

I was just addressing the food bit, not what IDS said or meant by it. Clearly if your bills etc. also come out of that sum then you're not going to be adding to the burden on the state through obesity.
Old 03-04-2013, 17:59   #268
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
I worked it out yesterday on £53 a week I would be able to pay my way if I lived in a bedsit and buy 2 loaves of bread 2 bottles of milk and a few tins of beans for the week
But is that healthy and good for you?
it's not as if were in the 40's and waiting till the war's over or anything. we're in 21st century Britain.

it shouldn't be where we're just about surviving and registering a pulse.
that's in the very poor countries that we raise millions of pounds for every year. isn't it?
Old 03-04-2013, 18:07   #269
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
But is that healthy and good for you?
it's not as if were in the 40's and waiting till the war's over or anything. we're in 21st century Britain.

it shouldn't be where we're just about surviving and registering a pulse.
that's in the very poor countries that we raise millions of pounds for every year. isn't it?
no
Old 03-04-2013, 18:46   #270
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
If I had £53 a week to feed off yes I concede that can be done quite easily but when IDS made his claim he stated live off not just feed himself off they are 2 different things afterall no one knew what this guy got till well after IDS made his claim
Let's not forget in all of this that IDS did not stand up and make a claim about anything. He was ambushed by someone who was pretty soon afterwards discovered to be lying.

He answered a direct question and said "If I had to, I could". Within that short sentence there is room for endless interpretation, and it seems to me that a lot of people are interpreting it a little generously, making very long lists of 'essentials' and then proving with paper and pencil that you can't live that list of 'essentials' on £53.

A fairer way of looking at it would be to see IDS affirming he would be able to cope on equal terms with the man in question (terms which, as we now know, are a little less straitened than £53). Or, better still, you could take his words at naked face value. Yes, you *could* live on £53 for a week, if you *had* to, because if you *had* to, then you would simply prioritise what you need to stay alive and buy that first. Everything else, even some of the things you might class as 'essential' such as internet access, become extras that you may or may not be able to afford.

I have no doubt that someone as intelligent and resourceful as IDS, especially with his military training, *could* live on £53 if he *had* to.

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------

Incidentally, I've been going back over our online grocery receipts (as we get everything delivered) and a fair estimate of our average weekly grocery bill, ie. all our eating and cleaning, is somewhere between £80 and £90 for a family of five.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote