Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Football Talk 2006/2007 Season

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Football Talk 2006/2007 Season
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 20:14   #256
Atomic22
Inactive

Services: Very High Monthly Bills!
Atomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to Atomic22 Send a message via AIM to Atomic22 Send a message via MSN to Atomic22 Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic22
Re: Football Talk 2006/2007 Season

hmm good goal by fletcher for scotland tho.
great to see the one and only 20LEgend is back in the norwegian team and scored two goals
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2006, 09:08   #257
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Now you know why some people hate the English...
Old 04-09-2006, 10:28   #258
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja View Post
Now you know why some people hate the English...
Over the media? Seems a really small thing to hate a whole country for. I mean, I hate bagpipes...does that mean I should hate the whole population of Scotland for making them "popular"?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:47   #259
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Over the media? Seems a really small thing to hate a whole country for. I mean, I hate bagpipes...does that mean I should hate the whole population of Scotland for making them "popular"?
Ireland did too, its a preconception that it was only Scotland that played the bagpipes.

I wasnt referring to the media, i was referring to the reaction of some people on here when confronted with an obvious bias in favor of a certain country despite it supposedly being a British organisation. Its almost like its being taken as an attack on England, with people getting offensive and not even taking the time to understand the reasons why the subject is being brought up in the first place and formulating informed responses instead of attacking Scotland, its team or its similarly trated neighbours.

Very immature.

I presented reasons why its annoying and showed that its persistant and not just a World Cup fad, i then stated ways that the BBC could very easily rectify it and then went about trying to show why some people could hate English people because of they way that they treat people when faced with the evidence as has been shown here.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:58   #260
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Ireland did too, its a preconception that it was only Scotland that played the bagpipes.

I wasnt referring to the media, i was referring to the reaction of some people on here when confronted with an obvious bias in favor of a certain country despite it supposedly being a British organisation. Its almost like its being taken as an attack on England, with people getting offensive and not even taking the time to understand the reasons why the subject is being brought up in the first place and formulating informed responses instead of attacking Scotland, its team or its similarly trated neighbours.

Very immature.

I presented reasons why its annoying and showed that its persistant and not just a World Cup fad, i then stated ways that the BBC could very easily rectify it and then went about trying to show why some people could hate English people because of they way that they treat people when faced with the evidence as has been shown here.
Just because you think its "obvious bias" and media-racism, doesn't make it so. And just because people have differing opinions to you, and are willing to back them up with reasoned arguments, no matter how much you don't like them, doesn't make them immature. In fact I think its more the other way. Stop stamping your feet because people don't agree with you.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:08   #261
Mal
Inactive

Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Very immature.

That's why I said popular, instead of invented

If someone had posted a thread in a similar vein to your world cup thread, but about Scotland, how would you have reacted? Wouldn't you have seen that as an attack? You might want to think about the content of your posts next time if you did not like the response.

Very immature.

It has been pointed out then and now, that we cannot do anything, the English people are not the media. Set up a petition, march on London, just do something about it!

I think Foreverwar is a Scot, so not all the responses are from the English
Old 04-09-2006, 11:37   #262
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

'favor', yuck, horrible American spelling, now that really does annoy me,
Old 04-09-2006, 12:29   #263
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky View Post
Just because you think its "obvious bias" and media-racism, doesn't make it so. And just because people have differing opinions to you, and are willing to back them up with reasoned arguments, no matter how much you don't like them, doesn't make them immature. In fact I think its more the other way. Stop stamping your feet because people don't agree with you.
I've not seen any opposing arguments, all i have seen is slander.

Im still waiting for a justifiable reason why the other home nations shouldnt be given equal coverage by the BBC even if its only in their home territories that the games are shown.

Im still waiting for a reason why the BBC choses to highlight England above all other Home nation teams, even putting the cricket results above them.

Im still waiting for a response from the BBC.

And obviously im still "stamping my feet"

Quote:
That's why I said popular, instead of invented

If someone had posted a thread in a similar vein to your world cup thread, but about Scotland, how would you have reacted? Wouldn't you have seen that as an attack? You might want to think about the content of your posts next time if you did not like the response.

Very immature.

It has been pointed out then and now, that we cannot do anything, the English people are not the media. Set up a petition, march on London, just do something about it!

I think Foreverwar is a Scot, so not all the responses are from the English
My World Cup thread never slagged England off, it merely states exactly when England would go out and what was wrong with your squad and that i would have prefered anyone but England to win it due to the bias of the English media.

Again, please understand the point before jumping in.

Setting up a petition or marching on London would only allow the media to twist it as an attack on the English people, who would be quite gullable to such a ploy given the responses on here.
Old 04-09-2006, 13:51   #264
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
I've not seen any opposing arguments, all i have seen is slander.
Like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawty View Post
Hang on here, the fact that the English game was shown on bbc 1 is because more people want to watch England. And after the Englang match i also seen on every bit of news that they reported, they mentioned the other games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar View Post
50 million people live in England
10 million people live in Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales.

Wouldn't be unequal if NI,S,&W got the same coverage as England?
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar View Post
I did - but you seem to be avoiding the fact that 10 times more people live in England than in Scotland, and the news reflects this - just like in the English news, a higher percentage of reporting comes from the South of England, and in the Scottish news, a higher percentage comes from Glasgow/Edinburgh - but I don't get upset about it.
etc... (love the multiquote system!)

*sigh*

Some people might have slandered you but you're hardly a shining example? Calling people immature? How about calling Britons racist? Is that not slander too?

Oh, and on the BBC radio 1 news talking about Murray reaching the forth round.... The only mentioned "the scot" and not "the Briton"
Old 04-09-2006, 14:21   #265
Mal
Inactive

Quote:
My World Cup thread never slagged England off, it merely states exactly when England would go out and what was wrong with your squad and that i would have prefered anyone but England to win it due to the bias of the English media.

Again, please understand the point before jumping in.
...but it did not start off "due to the bias of the English media" though. If it had, it might of gone down a different route and you might have had a more sympathetic response from us English. The media angle only came to light towards the end. You may have have made that a bit clearer before anyone had a chance to jump in

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja
Setting up a petition or marching on London would only allow the media to twist it as an attack on the English people, who would be quite gullable to such a ploy given the responses on here.
Well, you don't want to do anything, that is your choice, don't say that we haven't told you what to do Plus with the petition or march, if you make it clear that it is against the bias in the media, not the English people...

---------- Post added at 14:21 ---------- Previous post was at 14:12 ----------

...and can I just state that I have never slated the Scots on this forum. What has annoyed me was your attitude towards us, like we were to blame for what the media does.
Old 04-09-2006, 14:36   #266
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky View Post
Like...

Snip...
The Scotland game was on at 3, the England Game at 5 and the Wales game at 7: (15 or 45).

All of them could have been shown by the BBC IN those regions or back to back on BBC 1 nationally. Instead the England game gets shown nationally, in ALL regions and no other game does.

In the event it wasnt too bad because Sky picked them up, which is Ok for me as i have Sky and the sports channel needed to view it (a subsciption service) but what about the millions that dont and still pay their fees? I suppose we souldnt care about them...

The amount of people represented by those countries as i aready explained is irrelevant as we all pay our fees and this is the BRITISH broadcasting company, not the English broadcasting company and who's charter is :-

"To provide, as public services, sound and television broadcasting services (whether by analogue or digital means) and to provide sound and television programmes of information, education and entertainment for general reception in Our United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man and the territorial waters thereof."

It says nothing about proportional representation.

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

Quote:
...and can I just state that I have never slated the Scots on this forum. What has annoyed me was your attitude towards us, like we were to blame for what the media does.
I resent that - i have been VERY careful in what i have said and have not once to my knowledge personally attacked or even said anything deflamatory about the English people.

That was not my intention and if i did come accross that way i appologise now.
Old 04-09-2006, 14:37   #267
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

So wasnt the Scotland game not shown on BBC Scotland? If not then I'd agree that thats out of order.
I don't have Sky and am peeved off that the only place i can see the Wed game is at the pub , so if thats the case I know how you feel.
Old 04-09-2006, 14:39   #268
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo View Post
So wasnt the Scotland game not shown on BBC Scotland? If not then I'd agree that thats out of order.
I don't have Sky and am peeved off that the only place i can see the Wed game is at the pub , so if thats the case I know how you feel.
Thats my point Saaf, it was only on Sky Sports, BBC Scotland did not show the game and i belive it was the same with the Wales match in Wales, the England game was shown in Scotland though, work that out.
Old 04-09-2006, 14:44   #269
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Well thats not on then. I was under the impression that regional BBC showed the match that appealed to the country they are showing it in. I'd be very peeved off if i was a scotsman on Saturday (especially if i didnt have sky).
Old 04-09-2006, 14:55   #270
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo View Post
Well thats not on then. I was under the impression that regional BBC showed the match that appealed to the country they are showing it in. I'd be very peeved off if i was a scotsman on Saturday (especially if i didnt have sky).
Thank you for understanding...
Closed Thread