Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Black Lives Matter

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Black Lives Matter

Old 10-06-2020, 07:58   #241
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Black Lives Matter

If people are worried about TV content they should do what Warner Bros do ahead of Tom and Jerry cartoons:

Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2020, 08:10   #242
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

HBO have removed "gone with the wind" entirely.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:58   #243
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
If people are worried about TV content they should do what Warner Bros do ahead of Tom and Jerry cartoons:

Love that!
Old 10-06-2020, 09:25   #244
figgyburn
Helter Skelter

Services: vm bbl.tvxl
figgyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
It's just got completely out of hand now, an absolute disgrace with spineless apologists rolling over and playing dead

I just hope I don't have to desecrate my Mothers grave because many years ago she used to collect the gollywog stickers off jam jars

oh, and I doubt very much if there will be anyone left on the TV and Radio if we're going back 30 years to see if they once said something that will upset the cry babies.

Welcome to Hell . . . . I think you've opened the gates
figgyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:17   #245
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

So where do you draw lines in censorship? Blazing Saddles is one of my favourite movies, yes it has racism in it but tries to show using comedy how silly it is. What about Roots, Cry The Beloved Country, Mississippi Burning? The old Charlie Chan films were much more racist in their depiction of blacks.

I think that there is a difference between racial/(sexual etc) humour (making fun of things you find odd about other cultures/people/faiths) and racist humour (denigrating another group because of their difference). The former CAN be done very well and very funny, the latter never is acceptable.

The problem is that we have a lot of emphasis on how the "target" receives things as opposed to the attitude of the source. Both are important but it can get too imbalanced so that even the slightest affront becomes a "hate crime".

(I grew up in South Africa in 2 trips finally returning to the UK when I was 13. On our mid stay return to the UK we settled in a very white area. Because I had grown up outside in the sun I was the most pigmented person in the school and was the butt of some very unkind remarks. Maybe it's just me but I pretty much ignored them as silly childish comments, that's all they were really. They were and are unacceptable and shouldn't have happened. So I do have a little (very little) understanding of comments made in relation to skin colour.)

What about religious prejudice? While I do not want to get like Islamic states but I find making fun of Jesus and using His name as an expletive very offensive and hurtful. I don't care that it's become common usage, the N word (and others) were once in common usage but are not acceptable now.

Finally there is a danger that all this disruption and pulling down of statues can detract from the issue at hand. We need to get rid of racist elements in authority now. We can deal with historic grievances when things are calmer and can be done with discussion and rational thought.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:33   #246
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
This is not about enlightening the British people. Their ignorance is boundless and could be reduced any number of ways. This is about removing heroes and cultural touchstones so they can be replaced by new ones. At the demand of a mob I will add i.e. Iconoclasm.
Nobody seemed to mind when new information came out about some modern-day "heroes", which informed a different viewpoint (Saville & Harris) - don’t hear calls for memorials for their philanthropic work...

It’s not about "removing heroes", it’s about providing a fuller picture, rather than the sanitised version currently in place.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:42   #247
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Nobody seemed to mind when new information came out about some modern-day "heroes", which informed a different viewpoint (Saville & Harris) - don’t hear calls for memorials for their philanthropic work...

It’s not about "removing heroes", it’s about providing a fuller picture, rather than the sanitised version currently in place.
Exactly.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:46   #248
downquark1
cf.mega poster

downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

a) This is not new information, this is new perspective. If they had known about Saville in the 80s they would not have tolerated it. Everyone knew how these slavers made their money, it was not a secret. It was not exactly fondly looked upon at the time by everyone.

b) It is manifestly not true that this is providing a fuller picture. You are not providing more information about a film by removing it, or statues.

c) I work with these people. Here's another quote from Orwell:
Quote:
England is perhaps the only great country whose intellectuals are ashamed of their own nationality. In left-wing circles it is always felt that there is something slightly disgraceful in being an Englishman and that it is a duty to snigger at every English institution, from horse racing to suet puddings. It is a strange fact, but it is unquestionably true that almost any English intellectual would feel more ashamed of standing to attention during God save the King than of stealing from a poor box.
This is entirely true in my experience. In fact they can't help themselves.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:49   #249
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Is it possible that had we not evolved as a society through the slavery days to present day enlightenment that the people tearing down or defacing statues would not be here and they would now be living in Africa? Would Africa be doing better than it is now?

Another thing, the BBC and prolly the other main stations, spent a considerable amount of time broadcasting the George Floyd funeral live. This is pure woke bias for which there is little or no merit.

As to statues of slavers, some of whom were philanthropes towards their community, a suitably worded plaque could be added that is correctly in tune with sentiment.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:01   #250
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Fears over planned rival gathering ahead of Cleethorpes' Black Lives Matter march

One Humberston resident said he had seen the posts encouraging people to gather ahead of the main walk from Cleethorpes Leisure Centre to The Pier.

"It is intimidating when the messages say '"we are not going to let the b*****ds deface our monuments," said the Grimsby Live reader.

As i said in an earlier post this will not end well.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/n...hering-4208874
Old 10-06-2020, 11:02   #251
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

I don't think this weekend is going to be much fun.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-protests.html

Jimmy-J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:04   #252
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Is it possible that had we not evolved as a society through the slavery days to present day enlightenment that the people tearing down or defacing statues would not be here and they would now be living in Africa? Would Africa be doing better than it is now?

Another thing, the BBC and prolly the other main stations, spent a considerable amount of time broadcasting the George Floyd funeral live. This is pure woke bias for which there is little or no merit.

As to statues of slavers, some of whom were philanthropes towards their community, a suitably worded plaque could be added that is correctly in tune with sentiment.

Sky prioritised it over the Daily cov19 briefing .

---------- Post added at 11:04 ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
I don't think this Saturday is going to be much fun.

papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:07   #253
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
HBO have removed "gone with the wind" entirely.
Temporarily.Will not be cut but when reinstated, it will have a discussion of its historical context.
Quote:
HBO's new streaming platform HBO Max has temporarily removed Gone With The Wind from its service over its outdated depiction of the American south during slavery.
The film will be reinstated 'with a discussion of its historical context', it confirmed.
“Gone With the Wind is a product of its time and depicts some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that have, unfortunately, been commonplace in American society,” a statement from the network reads.
“These racist depictions were wrong then and are wrong today, and we felt that to keep this title up without an explanation and a denouncement of those depictions would be irresponsible.
“These depictions are certainly counter to WarnerMedia’s values, so when we return the film to HBO Max, it will return with a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions, but will be presented as it was originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed.
“If we are to create a more just, equitable and inclusive future, we must first acknowledge and understand our history.”
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:17   #254
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
I don't think this weekend is going to be much fun.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:19   #255
downquark1
cf.mega poster

I am now being told not to work today to support BLM. This is from the same people who insisted I go to Switzerland as the coronovirus was spreading through Europe.

Last edited by downquark1; 10-06-2020 at 11:23.
downquark1 is online now   Reply With Quote