Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Application Throttling/Management

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Application Throttling/Management

Old 28-08-2008, 02:45   #226
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Application Throttling/Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly View Post
That's not proof; there are too many uncertain factors in the case of torrents. It may have been poorly seeded, your ports may not have been forwarded or you forwarded the wrong ones, or the tracker was unresponsive and you were only getting DHT peers. You might also have hit the STM limit.
i know how torrents work ffs & iv tested it on my own, so that shows what you know
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-08-2008, 06:05   #227
zing_deleted

Easy now
Old 28-08-2008, 12:53   #228
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Anyone in Preston / Wigan / Blackpool the usual contestants for this stuff seeing anything going on with P2P on their broadbandings?
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 21:09   #229
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Never mind, along with some info on here and some other stuff I've heard from reliable peeps seems Waltham Park is the lucky contestant this time.
Old 03-09-2008, 21:17   #230
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbandings View Post
Never mind, along with some info on here and some other stuff I've heard from reliable peeps seems Waltham Park is the lucky contestant this time.

Would make sense as it means they then do not need to use stm on 50 meg, Instead use application throttling ?

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 21:25   #231
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Would make sense as it means they then do not need to use stm on 50 meg, Instead use application throttling ?
Yep quite possibly.

'It has no STM, look everyone no STM on our 50Mbit, give us £50 a month for our no STM 50Mbit service!'*

*oh by the way check the AUP, we reserve the right to shape as we see fit.
Old 03-09-2008, 21:31   #232
xspeedyx

I really hope they dont do this
Old 03-09-2008, 21:35   #233
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthlinux View Post
Wrong tense on 'hope they don't' to be honest.
Old 03-09-2008, 21:49   #234
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthlinux View Post
Indeed however this is VM we are talking about, This is the same company that said on the newsgroups it was NOT testing STM and then released it 3 days later ?

there is a trace route of this forum that proves they are doing this is you care to look for it .

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 23:03   #235
xspeedyx

Looks like I am gonna be disconnecting all Broadband customer that want to disc as I can save customers with thise peice of crap service
Old 03-09-2008, 23:53   #236
Fatec
Inactive

Fatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Considering there is now DPI being used in that area as well as STM you have to wonder what VM are thinking...
Fatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 00:23   #237
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Pound signs. How little bandwidth can we allocate per customer while keeping them vaguely happy.

Shame really. My browsing on VM is the fastest that it ever has been even with a Be connection that was a similar speed, but if I find my occasional bursts of heavier usage crippled, both in terms of volume and the protocol I am using they can have the cable modem back.

As a World of Warcraft player I rely on Bittorrent to bring me updates in a timely fashion. This is a perfectly legal use of the protocol. It's one thing forcing me to try and avoid STM, quite another to cripple my use of the protocol as it's on a not wanted list.
Old 04-09-2008, 00:31   #238
acidal
Permanently Banned

acidal is infamous around these partsacidal is infamous around these parts

This is a new one on me

They can go **** themselves

Give me my old 1 mb Telewest back
acidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:34   #239
xspeedyx

you can have it back with virgin bandwidth throttling well for around 10 mins then its back to 512k
Old 05-09-2008, 08:51   #240
Fatec
Inactive

Fatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
walt-dpim1-4-coc-1-gw.service.virginmedia.net [62.255.80.173]
Look what's turned up
Fatec is offline   Reply With Quote