Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Black Lives Matter

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Black Lives Matter

Old 09-06-2020, 22:37   #226
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Black Lives Matter

Also should we hand back looted treasures?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...-era-jfhpn8mwp
Old 09-06-2020, 22:38   #227
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I understand the point made by some that would a Jewish person enjoy walking past a statue of Hitler.

I understand that entirely. It is still, just, within living memory.

But when you get a few hundred years down the line it is different. It becomes of its time and should be judged objectively and remembered, with thought and explanation not ignorance and violence.

---------- Post added at 22:38 ---------- Previous post was at 22:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
Also should we hand back looted treasures?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...-era-jfhpn8mwp
Our museums would be empty.
Old 09-06-2020, 22:43   #228
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
The insanity and censorship continues ;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52983319

Personally I never liked the show, not my kind of humour, but this is just moronic.
Why?

Matt Lucas and David Walliams have both stated they regret the segments of the shows that have caused the removal from streaming services.

---------- Post added at 22:43 ---------- Previous post was at 22:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I understand the point made by some that would a Jewish person enjoy walking past a statue of Hitler.

I understand that entirely. It is still, just, within living memory.

But when you get a few hundred years down the line it is different. It becomes of its time and should be judged objectively and remembered, with thought and explanation not ignorance and violence.
Except the statues of Hitler were taken down within the lifetimes of those affected. Those that were affected by the people who statues we are talking about didn't have the ability to influence that at the time, mainly because they were still (and are to a level) discriminated against.
Old 09-06-2020, 22:44   #229
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
But if that's not what is happening, instead those people are being celebrated, then what?
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 22:55   #230
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Matt Lucas and David Walliams have both stated they regret the segments of the shows that have caused the removal from streaming services.
Of course they have, the twatter mob would be on them in a flash if they said anything else.
Given how anyone who dares to do something the mob disagrees with gets fired (even if it was years ago) they will of course say whatever they think people want to hear.

No one forces anyone to watch TV.
I'm also pretty sure everyone (black/white/whatever) is perfectly capable of making a choice whether to watch or not to watch something, and actually have a sense of reality, they know its a comedy show, from the past.

I know, from friends of mine who are not white (and btw, not hetro) that they find this kind of thing, where others censor on their behalf, to be quite insulting. It implies they have no sense of humour at all, must be offended by everything, and cannot laugh at themselves.

If you cannot understand censorship, then you will certainly enjoy the 1984 world we are moving towards.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 23:02   #231
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Of course they have, the twatter mob would be on them in a flash if they said anything else.
They've been saying it for several years now

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2...rent-time-now/
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ety-empathetic

Although even then it's a little bit of a hypocritical standpoint as they then did Come Fly With Me which was called out from the outset as in the same vein of racial stereotypes

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...me-fly-with-me

Last edited by BenMcr; 09-06-2020 at 23:06.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 23:06   #232
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Which doesnt change that point one bit.
Sensible people watch what they say on any SM.
An actor on 'The Flash' was fired just yesterday for comments made 6-7 years ago.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 23:17   #233
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
No one forces anyone to watch TV.
I'm also pretty sure everyone (black/white/whatever) is perfectly capable of making a choice whether to watch or not to watch something, and actually have a sense of reality, they know its a comedy show, from the past.
Attitudes change, and society changes.

We don't tolerate adverts for tobacco now, even though they used to be extremely popular. The Black and White Minstrel show used to be a popular show in the UK, and still was relatively popular at it's point of cancellation. However we wouldn't even consider repeating it today because views have evolved.

Quote:
I know, from friends of mine who are not white (and btw, not hetro) that they find this kind of thing, where others censor on their behalf, to be quite insulting. It implies they have no sense of humour at all, must be offended by everything, and cannot laugh at themselves.

If you cannot understand censorship, then you will certainly enjoy the 1984 world we are moving towards.
There is a difference between shows that allow anyone to laugh at themselves and those that are designed to mock others because of physical or other attributes.

Shows like Desmond's or Goodness Gracious Me are rightly celebrated as comedy greats because they were created by people from the background of those it was making fun of, and the comedy came from the experiences of those people, not 'haha aren't those people strange because they're not like us'.