Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 19-04-2020, 12:54   #2311
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Care home deaths 'far higher' than stated in official figures.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52341403
We are now at the point in the news cycle where nothing new is happening and journalists are re-running the same story whenever they can get somebody different to give their take on it. It’s one of the oldest tricks in the book. I’ve filed screeds of copy that way in my time.

We have known for weeks that the headline death rate only includes those who die in hospital and who have tested positive for Covid-19. We have known for almost as long that the ONS is compiling a more comprehensive figure that will include deaths outside hospitals - such as the care home deaths in this case - but that this is lagging the headline figure by days because they are doing it carefully and with methodology they have had to design and implement in a bit of a hurry.

As usual Den you are far too eager to jump on the ohmygosheverythingisawfulpanicpanicpanic bandwagon. Things are actually quite bad enough without sensationalist non-news nonsense like this. For the sake of your mental wellbeing you should put the internet (and all news outlets) down for the rest of the day. Sit in the garden if you can, get some sunshine. Everyone is doing their best here. Nobody is sitting in their lair twirling their moustache and plotting how best to feck up the official statistics. We’ll get there.
Advertisement
Old 19-04-2020, 13:27   #2312
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
It would help if Michael Gove actually answered some of Sophy Ridge's questions instead of the usual spin and obfuscating but alas as usual that is too much to ask..
It would help if Sophie Ridge actually asked a sensible question.
Old 19-04-2020, 13:46   #2313
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
We are now at the point in the news cycle where nothing new is happening
I would say several hundred people dying every day is new to those affected. Lives can be saved if politicians deliver on the their promises of PPE and testing. They need to be held to account, daily.

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
It would help if Sophie Ridge actually asked a sensible question.
That would be to ignore the the question asked, ask the one they wanted of themselves, and answer that instead. The remote interviews are making it easier for them to avoid questions, and cut journalists off, particularly in the daily briefings.
Old 19-04-2020, 13:57   #2314
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I would say several hundred people dying every day is new to those affected. Lives can be saved if politicians deliver on the their promises of PPE and testing. They need to be held to account, daily.

Send the politicians to the front line of folk that had the virus with no protection!

---------- Post added at 13:57 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

The BBC web site says the delivery of PPE is delayed,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52343912
Old 19-04-2020, 15:15   #2315
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I know that it's an offence for an employer to knowingly send an employee into a situation or undertake a task that could be a risk to their health and/or safety.

I'm surprised that none of the healthcare workers or their trade union representatives have brought this up with regards to the lack of PPE.

Maybe Government operations are exempt from this Act? ISTR that hospital kitchens were exempt from hygiene checks, but this was eventually remedied.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 19-04-2020 at 15:18.
Old 19-04-2020, 15:58   #2316
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Absolutely acceptable for him to spend his time recovering now and not attend. But surely unacceptable to avoid chairing FIVE Cobra meeting earlier in the year?
The PM is not needed for all Cobra meetings, so he did not skip 5 as he was not down to attend any of those 5 meetings.

It's all well and good having ago at the Government for what we know now. Hindsight is a good thing.

I can quote several of you in this thread from the beginning of it, that said this is just hyped up by the Media, or it's political correctness gone mad, practically none of you were taking this serious back in February, if people take a look back at the beginning of this thread, so if you were not taking it seriously, in February, why should you expect the government to have done the same?

That said, the position on lockdown timing was crystal clear. It was articulated transparently by the CSO and CSA and it represented the SAGE consensus, all of which the minutes of their advice to government ministers at the time, is available for all to see on the internet!
Old 19-04-2020, 15:59   #2317
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
It's all well and good having ago at the Government for what we know now. Hindsight is a good thing.

I can quote several of you in this thread from the beginning of it, that said this is just hyped up by the Media, or it's political correctness gone mad, practically none of you were taking this serious back in February, if people take a look back at the beginning of this thread, so if you were not taking it seriously, in February, why should you expect the government to have done the same?
Well for one they should have better information than us and it isn't our responsibility. I don't judge the competence of other professions based on if I could personally do it. The Times is alleging that the Government's own advisory committee were raising the alarm in late January.

I also think that even if they didn't know it would get as bad as it has they should have had better contingencies in case it did. The NHS said they needed PPE. Why didn't ramping that up start in February? Why did it take so long to scale up testing.
Old 19-04-2020, 16:04   #2318
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Well for one they should have better information than us and it isn't our responsibility. I don't judge the competence of other professions based on if I could personally do it. The Times is alleging that the Government's own advisory committee were raising the alarm in late January.

I also think that even if they didn't know it would get as bad as it has they should have had better contingencies in case it did. The NHS said they needed PPE. Why didn't ramping that up start in February? Why did it take so long to scale up testing.
I am not sure why Rexz, is showing for something I said. Will correct that.

I have added a further bit to my above post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick
That said, the position on lockdown timing was crystal clear. It was articulated transparently by the CSO and CSA and it represented the SAGE consensus, all of which the minutes of their advice to government ministers at the time, is available for all to see on the internet!
Someone should have told the Sunday Times that. Pathetic journalism.
Old 19-04-2020, 18:42   #2319
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Just got off the phone after being told that Paul O'Grady is ill and thinks he's got Covid-19.

In addition, his heating has broken down at home, so he's been spending his days laid on the sofa in front of his fire with his dogs laid on top of him!

Then, to top it all off, one of his dogs (Boycie) died

I do hope he recovers ok as he's 64 now.

#StayInSaveLives
Old 19-04-2020, 19:22   #2320
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Just got off the phone after being told that Paul O'Grady is ill and thinks he's got Covid-19.

In addition, his heating has broken down at home, so he's been spending his days laid on the sofa in front of his fire with his dogs laid on top of him!

Then, to top it all off, one of his dogs (Boycie) died

I do hope he recovers ok as he's 64 now.

#StayInSaveLives
Luckily, you’ve been misinformed- here’s a tweet from his Official Fan Club account, saying it is untrue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A38BA2EB-2BA8-490A-99CE-8B725E60AA5E.jpg (182.2 KB, 16 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 19-04-2020, 19:32   #2321
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
Send the politicians to the front line of folk that had the virus with no protection!
Boris did, and now he's vilified for shaking patients' hands.

And there is still no evidence that health workers are sadly catching the virus from patients AFAIK. If they are, they are not following correct procedures for PPE. It only takes one slip....
Old 19-04-2020, 19:38   #2322
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Luckily, you’ve been misinformed- here’s a tweet from his Official Fan Club account, saying it is untrue.
According to this, it sounds like he initially thought he had it because of his symptoms, but then realised he didn't. Probably run of the mill flu. Either way, i'm glad as I have fond memories of Paul and the odds of surviving Covid-19 at 64 with a history of heart problems wouldn't be good.

AFAIK Boris Johnson doesn't have any heart or other underlying conditions and he was only given a 54% chance of surviving.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/04/1...lth-condition/
Old 19-04-2020, 20:03   #2323
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I know that it's an offence for an employer to knowingly send an employee into a situation or undertake a task that could be a risk to their health and/or safety.

I'm surprised that none of the healthcare workers or their trade union representatives have brought this up with regards to the lack of PPE.

Maybe Government operations are exempt from this Act? ISTR that hospital kitchens were exempt from hygiene checks, but this was eventually remedied.
I deal with Employer's Liability cases which would be along those lines.

Any cases regarding exposure to CV would be some way off yet as we don't know enough about the virus to establish what sort of risk assessment would be enough.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 19-04-2020, 20:17   #2324
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Boris did, and now he's vilified for shaking patients' hands.
Boris is villified for be a blundering buffoon. He didn't take much interest until he personally got the disease. Now he's singing the praises of nurses. He and his party have voted against any meaningful pay rise for nurses in the last few years, and cheered as they did so.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mir...g-10707293.amp

Quote:
And there is still no evidence that health workers are sadly catching the virus from patients AFAIK. If they are, they are not following correct procedures for PPE. It only takes one slip....
What evidence would you like ? More bodies? Highly suspect that so many front line workers have died. Doubtless you'll be down your local hospital to help out. Hospitals are always after volunteers, you don't need any qualifications. Ring and ask, don't expect PPE though.

Last edited by Mr K; 19-04-2020 at 20:34.
Old 19-04-2020, 20:36   #2325
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Boris is villified for be a blundering buffoon. He didn't take much longer interest until he personally got the disease. Now he's singing the praises of nurses. He and his party have voted against any meaningful pay rise for nurses in the last few years, and cheered as they did so.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mir...g-10707293.amp
Oh Mr K, you do it every bloody time - LIES LIES LIES - FFS, stop posting Fake News.

That is not what they voted for at all - that video showed them voting against an amendment to the Queen speech, to undo the 1% cap of pay rises, public sector workers would usually get. They then later that year raised the cap anyway, so no, NHS workers, including nurses got more than a 1% pay rise the following years!
Closed Thread