Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The iPhone thread

Old 12-09-2013, 12:34   #2296
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: The iPhone thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
Stuff all this - I am hoping with iOS 7 I can change Siri's voice back into a woman's so I can flirt with my phone
Unfortunately, that option is not present in the betas if you are using UK English. It is, if you are using US English, but then the phone might have trouble understanding you. Sort of ruins any flirting if the person you are flirting with responds with "Sorry, I am afraid I didn't get that".
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2013, 12:42   #2297
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I guess I will just have to stick with the receptionist at the hospital
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 13:41   #2298
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
NFC is, I think, a solution without a problem. People do seem to think it's useful and a good thing, but no one seems sure what it's for and why it's a good thing.

Even one of the two mainstream uses people have identified (NFC cash cards) hasn't really taken off. The other (NFC travel tickets such as Oyster) has, but even that uses primarily proprietary systems that I doubt will be moving to mobile phones anytime soon.
Oyster uses RFID. It's why TFL haven't been able to move it onto phones as they're concerned the time it takes to register is still too slow for their operation to run smoothly. They have shown a willingness to let people use their phones once the technology facilities it.

I think it will payments and ticketing on phones will eventually take off and Apple will implement it but it may be something other than NFC. Apple's Passport and now fingerprint scan make me pretty certain it's coming in the near future on iPhone.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 06:08   #2299
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Anyone else regularly check for software updates in case iOS 7 accidentally gets released a few days early?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 14:51   #2300
wwe
cf.mega poster

Services: Telewest Phone Telewest BroadBand Telewest Digital Tv v+ HD
wwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpack

When will u be able to pre order the iPhone 5s? Just my contract ends on the 18th of September and really want to order it so I get it on the day
wwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 15:08   #2301
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwe View Post
When will u be able to pre order the iPhone 5s? Just my contract ends on the 18th of September and really want to order it so I get it on the day
You can't. Just have to turn up at your phone company on the day.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 17:00   #2302
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Gameloft's latest racing game, Asphalt 8: Airborne, is free for this weekend only:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/asph...610391947?mt=8

Batman Arkham City Lockdown, normally £3.99, is free via IGN this month:

http://uk.ign.com/prime/promo/batman-free
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 17:19   #2303
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Thanks ... Downloading Batman now, but the one I really want is beyond my reach due to the lack of a gyroscope. Add Asphalt 8 to the lengthening list of games I can't play on my venerable ipad1.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 17:20   #2304
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Cheers
Old 16-09-2013, 14:36   #2305
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

One particular business I look after has 10,000+ ios devices. Needless to say we've been spending the past couple of weeks planning how to protect their wireless networks and internet pipes. Apple yer a pain in the bum
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 15:28   #2306
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

the new iphones a long with the iphone 5 and 4S are a load of crap. they just keep releasing the same old thing and people are paying over £700 for this!?

the new ones are even worse and the 5C, what a joke.

There are much better options around, Nokia Lumia 925 & HTC One both for style, power and beauty ... and the Lumia 1020 with a 41 MP cam if you're into that!
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 15:40   #2307
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

How are they "the same old thing"?
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 15:50   #2308
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
the new iphones a long with the iphone 5 and 4S are a load of crap. they just keep releasing the same old thing and people are paying over £700 for this!?

There are much better options around, Nokia Lumia 925 & HTC One both for style, power and beauty ... and the Lumia 1020 with a 41 MP cam if you're into that!
which one of the phones you suggest would be suitable for me to use?
Old 16-09-2013, 15:58   #2309
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post

All of which are the same as last year's models with maybe a faster CPU, higher res CCD (for the camera) and more memory. Essentially offering even less "innovation" than Apple are.

As for more stylish and beautiful.. I can't believe you managed to use those words in the same sentence as Lumia. Hideously ugly phones, IMO.

As for the 41 megapixel camera. Yes, that sounds impressive. However, 41 megapixels actually doesn't make that much difference to the quality of the image from a mobile phone camera because the sensor itself is too small.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 16:16   #2310
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
All of which are the same as last year's models with maybe a faster CPU, higher res CCD (for the camera) and more memory. Essentially offering even less "innovation" than Apple are.

As for more stylish and beautiful.. I can't believe you managed to use those words in the same sentence as Lumia. Hideously ugly phones, IMO.

As for the 41 megapixel camera. Yes, that sounds impressive. However, 41 megapixels actually doesn't make that much difference to the quality of the image from a mobile phone camera because the sensor itself is too small.
Lumia on the right next to HTC One, is that phone hideous?

http://cdn2.mos.techradar.futurecdn....17-580-100.JPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
which one of the phones you suggest would be suitable for me to use?
What are you looking for in a phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
How are they "the same old thing"?
What's different between the 4 and 4S.

What is a major change between the 4 and 5, what's any sort of major difference between the 5 and 5S?

As for the 5C, charging people a premium price for a really low budget looking phone
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote