Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 07-09-2012, 10:19   #2101
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Low enough for me to encode a virtual slap and send it on it's way to you
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2012, 11:12   #2102
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Replies with a virtual spank.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 13:06   #2103
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 13:54   #2104
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Low enough for me to encode a virtual slap and send it on it's way to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Replies with a virtual spank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
I think that Thenry's getting jealous of the spanking so we'd better get back on topic
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 14:42   #2105
crazyronnie
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 360 1TB x2, Maxit TV, M Phone, Hub 5 @ 350/36Mb
crazyronnie is on a distinguished roadcrazyronnie is on a distinguished road

A mates 1Gb Hyperoptic connection.

crazyronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 14:49   #2106
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
I think that Thenry's getting jealous of the spanking so we'd better get back on topic
Old 07-09-2012, 21:36   #2107
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

Given the fact that I've met you thenry I think it would be about time to return to the topic.
Old 07-09-2012, 21:42   #2108
thenry
Inactive

ok

i see you had no fault earlier. strange as it has happened to you before.
Old 09-09-2012, 22:18   #2109
H4GLER
Inactive

H4GLER is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, only just found this forum after having months of trouble with my vm connection while trying to game at peak times.

Have done all the phone call checks and finally they have now said it is over ultilisation in my area and will let me know when the likely fix date will be.

2 weeks later and they still can't give me a date so i'm assuming it ain't gonna be anytime soon so have just ordered infinity.

Just thought i'd post my tbb graph so you might be able to confirm this is the problem.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
H4GLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 22:46   #2110
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4GLER View Post
Hi, only just found this forum after having months of trouble with my vm connection while trying to game at peak times.

Have done all the phone call checks and finally they have now said it is over ultilisation in my area and will let me know when the likely fix date will be.

2 weeks later and they still can't give me a date so i'm assuming it ain't gonna be anytime soon so have just ordered infinity.

Just thought i'd post my tbb graph so you might be able to confirm this is the problem.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Looks like it, you made the right decision in switching over to infinity. The chances of that over utilization being sorted are slim and at any point in the near future even smaller.
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:59   #2111
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Usually takes VM 30-120 days to fix problems like these, if ever.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 14:20   #2112
mike24
Inactive

Services: super hub 2, 50Mbps, TiVo 500MB Tv, phone
mike24 will become famous soon enoughmike24 will become famous soon enoughmike24 will become famous soon enough

I am supposed to be on 30 Mbps!!!!!!
Ping 65ms download 7Mbps upload 2.6Mbps
michael
mike24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 14:23   #2113
Inactive

Services: 100Mbit Broadband
7031 is on a distinguished road7031 is on a distinguished road

I'd say Virgin Media is a lucky dip - I've had no problems myself but it seems if you ever had the dreaded contention issues you may as well leave - I can't say I've ever seen anyone report Virgin fixing them, with the exception of them being lucky enough to end up on a different set of channels.
7031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:06   #2114
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7031 View Post
I'd say Virgin Media is a lucky dip - I've had no problems myself but it seems if you ever had the dreaded contention issues you may as well leave - I can't say I've ever seen anyone report Virgin fixing them, with the exception of them being lucky enough to end up on a different set of channels.
I have had improvements but they all temporary only, it can range from 1 month to several months. The closest I came to what I considered an acceptable service is when they finished the upstream upgrades for the 10:1 changes, there was then a period of 4 months or so between those upgrades and when they changed modem configs for the increased speeds, most of that 4 months was a very good service however congestion had started creeping in just before they changed the configs so what happened after was easily predicted.

All of my recent discussions with the CEO office indicated to me they were not doing any upgrade work in my area for congestion relief instead the relief dates quoted matched up with planned upgrade work for new products and VM were treating that also as satisfactory for congestion relief.

Some discussions got partially heated and in depth, I did at least twice manage to talk to them about neighbouring segments and such but when it came down to the question as to why one segment had such good performance and another didnt and was still considered not high utilisation there was a simple refusal to answer the question, I have shown them graphs from my connection and showed them graphs from other VM connections on good segments so they could see comparisons which got an acknowledgment of things not been good enough but in terms of resolution to congestion nothing is forthcoming.

All I got was a explanation saying the entire leics backend was congested with the main shared pipe needing an upgrade, that may well be true given some problems I have seen but I dont think that was the main reason for my problems and they were just side stepping the fact that VMs target utilisation figures are too high.

Although my connection is still clearly congested, it has been in the past far worse, prior to that very good 4 months service I had I had several months of aweful service, and when on the old docsis1 network it was so bad that even light web usage was problematic and any kind of web streaming simply didnt work due to a lack of bandwidth. During that period my tbb graph wasnt as bad as some graphs I have seen so god knows how bad those connections are to use.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 20:29   #2115
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7031 View Post
... if you ever had the dreaded contention issues you may as well leave - I can't say I've ever seen anyone report Virgin fixing them...
They do get fixed but it certainly isn't fast. Mine went bad late last year and I got a date early this year. There was a partial fix and VM closed the open fault but things were still not right. Rather than ditch VM and go to ADSL which would have involved a long phone line contract I dropped speed to 10Mbps with the intention of moving to Infinity when it became available to me. By the time I could get Infinity the congestion was fixed but I would still have moved if BT hadn't screwed me around by failing to turn up to do the install so I cancelled Infinity and took a VM upgrade to 60 instead - 12 month contract - if VM screw up during that time then maybe I'll give BT another chance but I'm no fan of either company.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote