Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 07-10-2012, 18:18   #2086
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

CF14 Cardiff

Quote:
Your speed upgrade is going to take a little longer

We estimate your area will be ready between: March 2013 and August 2013
Still, it's a freebie.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2012, 18:26   #2087
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

when is upstream going to be upgraded in Crawley. Downstream was done in July.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 18:38   #2088
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
when is upstream going to be upgraded in Crawley. Downstream was done in July.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 17:03   #2089
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

Argh! I'm goin' mad!

Speed doubling here (New Malden UBR) was originally forecast for April to June 2012, I'm pretty sure. Then went back to September, then, until very recently, October. I check again today and it's gone back to December to February 2013. At this rate it will be a full 12 months late!

Does anyone know what is going on in Croydon/New Malden to cause these delays and have a better handle than the online checker on when the job will really be done. That website is now thoroughly discredited, whatever small print they use to cover themselves!
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 17:38   #2090
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong1 View Post
Argh! I'm goin' mad!

Speed doubling here (New Malden UBR) was originally forecast for April to June 2012, I'm pretty sure. Then went back to September, then, until very recently, October. I check again today and it's gone back to December to February 2013. At this rate it will be a full 12 months late!

Does anyone know what is going on in Croydon/New Malden to cause these delays and have a better handle than the online checker on when the job will really be done. That website is now thoroughly discredited, whatever small print they use to cover themselves!
South London VM network has been held together with string and blu-tac for so many years that they have to do some major work to give people what they promised or advertised.

Originally VM gave the excuse that the July date was pushed back to September due to the Olympics but with the date moving twice since, its probably incompetence, bad planning or simply they are holding off paying for new equipment for as long as possible to save some pennies in their bank.

VM is one of the topics on Watchdog on BBC 1 tomorrow. Wondering if it will be about this or one of their many other false advertisements. Could be about their terrible service, bad support or so many other things though :P
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 18:18   #2091
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

I have to say they are getting a bit of a rep for this at THE most senior level (Neil Berkitt).

Of the top of my head I can remember:

• TiVo iPad app that still has not arrived 2 years after it was first demonstrated and a year after it was firmly promised
  • A big song and dance about Spotify and bundling music within Virgin packages
  • This speed-doubling website fiasco
Quote:
Dec 2010: "Confirmed: TiVo iPad app will come to Virgin Media service" http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...service-912206

Mar 2012: Paid Content Editorial: http://paidcontent.org/2012/03/08/41...o-years-later/
Quote:
"July 2011: Spotify charges £9.99 for its Premium service. “We’ll bundle it in to our broadband for significantly less than that,” Berkett told investment analysts." http://paidcontent.org/2011/07/27/41...-spotify-does/
The modus operandi seems to be to get maximum marketing coverage for seemingly cutting-edge technology, but then, through either incompetence or intentional deception, plans are delayed by many many months (years?) or evaporate altogether, until, in the end Sky get there first!!

It is really a shambles.

..and now all the talk is of "TV Anywhere". Let's see how that goes!
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 18:31   #2092
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

it is all PR to get them in the news
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 18:39   #2093
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Some of the recent ones I had noticed that were upheld:

David Tenant VM ad "Say goodbye to buffering" - Ad now banned
http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudi...DJ_201412.aspx

“Average download times with up to 60Mb broadband Album 9 secs TV show 54 secs Movie 2.5 mins HD movie 10 mins“ Ad on their website - ASA found to be misleading due to traffic management.
http://www.asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adj...DJ_194077.aspx

The complainant, who did not believe the small print was legible, challenged whether the ad was misleading.
http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudi...DJ_186497.aspx

There are many more ASA complaints which where upheld, probably 10 or more already this year alone that. Yet I havn't seen one for advertising upload speed upgrades by summer which then took 18 months, along with the speed doubling and similar stuff.
Old 09-10-2012, 23:33   #2094
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Not to mention the 100Mb rollout and upstream uplifts which were also a fiasco (remember them taking a full 12 months to even provide an estimated date, and then missing it twice?)
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 15:55   #2095
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong1 View Post
The modus operandi seems to be to get maximum marketing coverage for seemingly cutting-edge technology, but then, through either incompetence or intentional deception, plans are delayed by many many months (years?) or evaporate altogether, until, in the end Sky get there first!!
Or BT up the stakes whilst Virgin bungle their way through doubling broadband speeds.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...?topicId=33828

160 Meg down and 20 Meg up on BT Infinity, if you live in one of their upgraded network areas.

The BT upgrade doesn't happen in my area until next yer. Wonder what will be rolled out first where I live? BT's upgrade or my speed being doubled by Virgin?

Not looking good for Virgin in the long term. Second best TV provider behind SKY and if BT keep this up second best broadband speeds too.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 16:10   #2096
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
160 Meg down and 20 Meg up on BT Infinity, if you live in one of their upgraded network areas.
Only in FTTP areas. Where 330Mbps is already available and 1Gbps is being trialed for next year.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 17:20   #2097
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

My area (Chelmsford) isn't due to be doubled in speed until, I think, mid 2013. When I log into My Virginmedia, I get a message saying that my upgrade to 60meg is now available and to click on the message to get a superhub.

I'm on XL but stayed on 20meg because my current modem is rock solid and I didn't see a point of changing it just for an extra 10meg speed.

Do people think the message is an error, or are they offering me an early upgrade?
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 17:28   #2098
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

their offering it. take it. the SH can be put into modem mode. link your own choice of router and your away with more bandwidth.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 17:44   #2099
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I'm on XL but stayed on 20meg because my current modem is rock solid and I didn't see a point of changing it just for an extra 10meg speed.
Says a lot about Virgin when their customers are too scared to accept a free upgrade lol

Fought tooth and nail to go back to an old modem and was promised one by every department. Never got one though.
Old 21-10-2012, 18:01   #2100
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

I am another who is staying with my Ambit 256, for how much longer I don't know.
If it goes US then no option but a shub, would much prefer a better option of another shub (model 2 possibly)?
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote