Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Black Lives Matter

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Black Lives Matter

Old 09-06-2020, 16:36   #196
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
anyway, history is history, if you start taking the bits out that you don't like, it becomes a fairy tale
It's not about taking bits out, it's about adding facts of history that weren't in 'recorded' history before.

Last edited by BenMcr; 09-06-2020 at 16:39.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2020, 16:42   #197
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
They don't want to eradicate our history, they would just like a less whitewashed version of it...

Our culture has always been about adapting and including - cultures grow, because if they get static, they decay; you know, cultural institutions like tea (from India), curries (mostly from Bangladesh), Punch and Judy (Italian), the Women's Institute (Canada), the C of E (breakaway from the RC church), our Royalty (Sax-Coburg-Gotha), the English Language (Latin and Germanic roots), etc., etc.

Every culture is an amalgam of the cultures around it combined with their own particular cultural experience and history
Yours seems to be an altruistic view of what's just happened in Bristol and London.

The Colston statue dumped into the estuary smacks of an eradication to me.
Branding Churchill as a racist smacks of rewriting hiustory, to me.

You list a range of cultural importations. Let me list some more:

Gangs (Albanian); knife crime (Somalia); begging (Romania).

---------- Post added at 16:42 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It's not about taking bits out, it's about adding facts of history that weren't in 'recorded' history before.
What? What's being added that wasn't there before?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 16:48   #198
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
What? What's being added that wasn't there before?
Well here's an example
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ufmann-history
Quote:
Africans were already known to have likely been living in Roman Britain as soldiers, slaves or even free men and women. But Kaufmann shows that, by Tudor times, they were present at the royal courts of Henry VII, Henry VIII, Elizabeth I and James I, and in the households of Sir Walter Raleigh and William Cecil
It doesn't take away anything that we already know about the Tudor period, but adds to our understanding. But it would have likely been excluded in later history records as didn't align to the views expressed within society at the time.

Last edited by BenMcr; 09-06-2020 at 16:51.
Old 09-06-2020, 17:00   #199
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

It seems some idiot has decided we need a BLM protest in cleethorpes this weekend, should be interesting.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/n...t-held-4201906

Last edited by papa smurf; 09-06-2020 at 17:21.
papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 17:22   #200
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Well here's an example
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ufmann-history

It doesn't take away anything that we already know about the Tudor period, but adds to our understanding. But it would have likely been excluded in later history records as didn't align to the views expressed within society at the time.
Oh please, Ben. On that basis people might argue that we're really Italian, or Danish, or Celtic or whatever.

By all means add that stuff into History syllabuses but do please recognise that these demonstrators nor any ethnic group should be allowed to eradicate already written factual history.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 17:27   #201
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
It seems some idiot has decided we need a BLM protest in cleethorpes this weekend, should be interesting.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/n...t-held-4201906
Not much left to wreck there, maybe it will end up being a peaceful 'fish n chips' protest
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 17:30   #202
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Maggy, a few months ago I had a discussion with someone saying they want to drop World War I from the syllabus. Do you know anything about this?
Old 09-06-2020, 17:36   #203
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Branding Churchill as a racist smacks of rewriting history, to me.
I think it's pretty clear that Churchill held some views which we would now term racist. Rewriting history would be to airbrush this aspect of him out. A better approach would be to acknowledge and contexualise his views.
https://inews.co.uk/news/winston-chu...plained-440668

Last edited by 1andrew1; 09-06-2020 at 17:40.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 17:49   #204
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Not much left to wreck there, maybe it will end up being a peaceful 'fish n chips' protest
Well there's been no boozers open, no football matches for months so i predict a huge punch up and very busy police cells on Saturday night,it'll be like life as returned to normal again.
Old 09-06-2020, 18:29   #205
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
Can you offer specifics?
How about the de-industrialisation of India in the 1700s & 1800s, the export of food need to feed starving Indians during the famine of the 1870s, the deaths of nearly 30,000 (mainly) women and children in the concentration camps during the Boer War (out of around 100,000 captives), the minimisation of the fact that over 2 million soldiers from India, Africa, and the Caribbean fought for the British during the First World War, and the (until recently) erasure from the history books of Mary Seacole.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 18:39   #206
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Maggy, a few months ago I had a discussion with someone saying they want to drop World War I from the syllabus. Do you know anything about this?
When I was at school WW1 took a backseat to WW2. I wouldn't be surprised if that trend was continued as time moves further on.

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

Quote:
[
Branding Churchill as a racist smacks of rewriting hiustory, to me.
Why? It's not rewriting history so much as adding more depth to it. Churchill is celebrated for leading the country in WW2, complete with the tenacity in doing so, his ability to motivate the nation during the darkest parts of the Battle of Britain and in recognizing the threat Hitler posed. None of that precludes the idea he expressed racist views, it's just that his achievements are far more significant that to dismiss him as a racist would be stupid and simplistic.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 18:39   #207
downquark1
cf.mega poster

downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
How about the de-industrialisation of India in the 1700s & 1800s, the export of food need to feed starving Indians during the famine of the 1870s, the deaths of nearly 30,000 (mainly) women and children in the concentration camps during the Boer War (out of around 100,000 captives), the minimisation of the fact that over 2 million soldiers from India, Africa, and the Caribbean fought for the British during the First World War, and the (until recently) erasure from the history books of Mary Seacole.
Sure if you also cover Adam Smith, the Enlightenment and the French Revolution.
Old 09-06-2020, 18:45   #208
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Sure if you also cover Adam Smith, the Enlightenment and the French Revolution.
The point is typically those do get more coverage than the negative aspects of our history.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 18:49   #209
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Oh please, Ben. On that basis people might argue that we're really Italian, or Danish, or Celtic or whatever.
And what would be so wrong in realising that most of the people in the UK today have connections with somewhere else in the world at some point in the their family tree?
Quote:
By all means add that stuff into History syllabuses but do please recognise that these demonstrators nor any ethnic group should be allowed to eradicate already written factual history.
And who exactly is say that? Pretty sure that no-one in BLM is suggesting not talking about existing history, but to ensure what we do learn is re-contextualised within the wider world view that a lot of recent history teaching doesn't cover or allow for.

Last edited by BenMcr; 09-06-2020 at 18:53.
Old 09-06-2020, 18:51   #210
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The point is typically those do get more coverage than the negative aspects of our history.
Except that is a lie. When I was in school there was nothing about those periods at all. In the last ten years people are falling over themselves to lecture me about Mary Seacole.

When I want to learn about the British Raj I pretty much have to find a Hindu nationalist to yell facts at me.