Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Hijack customers browser search options

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Hijack customers browser search options

Old 28-06-2012, 17:35   #196
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Virgin Media Hijack customers browser search options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
opendns do the same.
They do, but in fairness, most people don't pay OpenDNS for their service and they've got to make money somewhere. OpenDNS also offers quite an extensive filtering system that should you opt in to using it, does a good job of blocking various sites people may not want to see.

I believe the objection here is that people DO pay VM for a service, and VM are doing this as well. VM don't (AFAIK) offer the option of filtering though.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-06-2012, 18:47   #197
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Google's DNS service is free and does not do this, nor is there even a paid-for option.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 10:23   #198
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Google's DNS service is free and does not do this, nor is there even a paid-for option.
Fair enough. However, Google do have other sources of income. I was just making the point the OpenDNS does it for income to survive, so your point about Google's lack of a paid for option is largely irrelevant.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 11:22   #199
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

And I think "hijack" is a very pejorative/subjective term anyway. If I can't get to the right page for some reason, isn't it a good thing to have some help/suggestions rather than just a useless blank page?
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 11:25   #200
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

No, because it breaks numerous protocols, and established technoliogies that rely on getting a proper NXDOMAIN error back (what you are calling a blank page).
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 11:27   #201
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Not that that matters to most non-tech people who probably neither know nor care. (Just like me.)
Old 29-06-2012, 11:58   #202
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

The old "doesn't affect me, so it doesn't matter, therefore theres nothing wrong with it" attitude, I see.

Well, if you get burgled, it wouldn't affect me, so it doesn't matter, therefore theres nothing wrong with it!

OK, its a bad analogy I know, but the only one I can think of with this migraine. I'm sure you will realise what I'm trying to say however.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 12:07   #203
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
Well, if you get burgled, it wouldn't affect me, so it doesn't matter, therefore theres nothing wrong with it!

OK, its a bad analogy I know, but the only one I can think of with this migraine. I'm sure you will realise what I'm trying to say however.
Actually a pretty good analogy.

He gets burgled, doesn't affect us, we don't care and there's no need for any police.
Old 29-06-2012, 12:51   #204
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
The old "doesn't affect me, so it doesn't matter, therefore theres nothing wrong with it" attitude, I see.
So exactly what is "wrong" with it then, how does it affect me?

Quote:
Well my getting burgled certainly won't affect you, no.

Quote:
OK, its a bad analogy I know..
Indeed.

Quote:
I'm sure you will realise what I'm trying to say however.
No I don't. But I am happy to wait until your migraine has passed before you answer the questions I posed, above.

Quote:
No, it really isn't.

Quote:
He gets burgled, doesn't affect us, we don't care...
That's fair enough; though I think I would care that you had been a victim of crime even though I wasn't directly affected

Quote:
...and there's no need for any police.
Unfortunately, this is where the analogy falls down. There is a need for the police to solve my burglary; even though you remain un-affected by it.

Still doesn't explain why I should be worried that VM want to offer me some help and suggestions as to what I may have been looking for.
Old 29-06-2012, 13:27   #205
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Way to resurrect a dead thread
It's helped me; I knew nothing about it until I read this thread just now. Now switched off.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 13:43   #206
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Why?
Old 29-06-2012, 14:20   #207
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

He gets burgled, doesn't affect us, we don't care and there's no need for any police.
I object to the hijacking on the grounds you are opted in automatically to something that makes money for the people who automatically opted you in.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 14:37   #208
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

I suppose that's a fair point.

But anyway, how often do you actually mis-type a URL so you see this screen and then click on one of the links? It happens to me very rarely so they're certainly not making anything through me

And I certainly don't begrudge VM another revenue stream if it helps them improve my services
Old 29-06-2012, 14:54   #209
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
No, it really isn't.
Yes, it really is.
Old 29-06-2012, 15:05   #210
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

How the heck is a burglary (that of course does not actually directly affect anyone but the person burgled) a good analogy for this? It makes absolutely NO sense!