Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 1

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 1
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 16:38   #2071
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: Coming soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
I can confirm this. I have an old CRT, non-HD TV in the bedroom hooked up to my (not quite so old) V+ box via a scart lead. I can view HD channels although, of course, not in HD. With the superb V+ upscaler the picture often looks almost HD quality. That's probably the one remaining thing that stops me upgrading the V+ with a second TiVo.
Well that's just weird Wonder why it wouldn't work for me?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
No it's not
Oh, okay. That's what I read in the DS article
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2012, 16:40   #2072
Vicki
Permanently Banned

Vicki can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
I am sure you can - But can not be bothered to try. Have one CRTV which we use to a sender to watch from our V+ box. I am sure it showed HD channels.

HD won't send over Scart as it has no HDCP handshake, Some device's (xbox360) will play a HD image over scart but it downscales the image to 480. Others will just not play at all.
Old 08-03-2012, 16:41   #2073
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
And in fairness you already have film flex, picture box and now sky movies, so loads of ways to watch films on demand with Virgin.
I would descibe FilmFlex as our version of Sky Shop
Old 08-03-2012, 16:42   #2074
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Can't see it doing so anytime soon, as why would Sky launch an advantage for their customers and then immediately offer it to a rival?
Rival or biggest customer??

If Sky were clever they would make the same profit from a VM customer as they do a dish customer. Would be interesting to understand the differences in cost of providing to a dish customer as opposed to a cable customer. ie cable customers dont use customer support etc etc so it could be possible to make more from a cable customer than a dish customer
Old 08-03-2012, 16:43   #2075
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Oh, okay. That's what I read in the DS article
It was badly worded and to be honest your right in that it will replace it at some point in the future.
Old 08-03-2012, 16:54   #2076
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Problem is that the BBC and ITV don't have full regional opt outs on the HD versions of their Channels, so neither of those could be replaced

Not sure whether C4 or C5 have any differences in their HD versions, but may well do so for local advertising opportunities, which would also be an issue.
I believe that, as yet, C4 and C5 don't simulcast all their regional variants in HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
No it's not Sky will still have SBO for newer titles although it will be more limited than Sky store , how would customers with older STB's rent a movie , I'm sure over time Sky will faze out Sky Box office but not for a while in my opinion.
http://advanced-television.com/index...ou-go-options/
I'm surprised that Sky have done this, I would have thought they would would make less profit going through a third party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_and_Crazy View Post

If Sky were clever they would make the same profit from a VM customer as they do a dish customer. Would be interesting to understand the differences in cost of providing to a dish customer as opposed to a cable customer. ie cable customers dont use customer support etc etc so it could be possible to make more from a cable customer than a dish customer
You make an interesting point...
Old 08-03-2012, 16:58   #2077
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I'm surprised that Sky have done this, I would have thought they would would make less profit going through a third party.
What 3rd party? It's accessed through a Sky STB via Anytime+
Old 08-03-2012, 17:05   #2078
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_and_Crazy View Post

Yes I agree but sadly the Murdochs do not get the bigger picture, imagine how much more money they can make if they gave Bio. HD, Crime & Investigation Network HD, History HD, MGM HD, Nat Geo Wild HD, Nickelodeon HD, Sky Atlantic, Sky Atlantic HD, Sky News HD, Sky Sports 3 HD, Sky Sports 4 HD, Sky Sports F1 HD, Sky Sports News HD, Sky 3D and Sky Shop!
Old 08-03-2012, 19:31   #2079
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
Yes I agree but sadly the Murdochs do not get the bigger picture, imagine how much more money they can make if they gave Bio. HD, Crime & Investigation Network HD, History HD, MGM HD, Nat Geo Wild HD, Nickelodeon HD, Sky Atlantic, Sky Atlantic HD, Sky News HD, Sky Sports 3 HD, Sky Sports 4 HD, Sky Sports F1 HD, Sky Sports News HD, Sky 3D and Sky Shop!

Not if they give it away Alan, unless gave now has a different meaning since the last time I read my dictionary

Cheers

Grim
Old 08-03-2012, 19:33   #2080
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

I assume he meant more "gave us access to...." rather than "gave for free"
Old 08-03-2012, 19:36   #2081
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Not if they give it away Alan, unless gave now has a different meaning since the last time I read my dictionary

Cheers

Grim
I keep reading the dictionary each day but I need to lay off the "Lysergic acid diethylamide"
Old 08-03-2012, 19:46   #2082
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Well you know Alan he can go through all the letters of the alphabet before we can understand the point he is trying to make.
Old 08-03-2012, 20:06   #2083
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I know what he meant, but felt the would give away the sarcasm <- look there's another one . In futre I'll use the even though i don't think it looks sarcastic at all.

---------- Post added at 20:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
I keep reading the dictionary each day but I need to lay off the "Lysergic acid diethylamide"
Maybe every word has a different meaning every day

Cheers

Grim
Old 08-03-2012, 22:09   #2084
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well you know Alan he can go through all the letters of the alphabet before we can understand the point he is trying to make.
I'll take your word that that
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
I know what he meant, but felt the would give away the sarcasm <- look there's another one . In futre I'll use the even though i don't think it looks sarcastic at all.
A better idea D
Old 08-03-2012, 22:09   #2085
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Quote:
I meant if they gave VM customers the option to access more of their services, it will benefit them a great deal

They can get away a dominant status in content without annoying non-Sky customers
Closed Thread