Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

Old 13-02-2013, 18:13   #1816
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future
Re: General Sky TV Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
And that's the beauty of choice , that said at least you have the choice whether to pay or not with Sky's content unlike the TV tax forced on us too watch the BBC's whether we want or not.
Now don`t start me off about the BBC`s tv tax!
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-02-2013, 18:16   #1817
nn012
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media TV, Broadband and Phone.
nn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quads

That's going completely off topic. The BBC is a world renowned entity costing us only 40p a day and unlike Sky they don't acquire content previously free or other broadcasters' content and put it behind a paywall, they produce it and make it universally available regardless of the platform you're using to watch. Even with the many other channels available, the BBC channels are the most popular in most pay TV households and that speaks volume.

I have no qualms with paying this ''TV tax'' of 40p a day to support a great British institution we all should be proud of, it certainly is value for money.
nn012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 18:41   #1818
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Let's keep on topic.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 18:50   #1819
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I agree with your earlier points about HBO and the BBC producing excellent Dramas , that said I've also enjoyed a couple of Sky's Mad Dogs and Strike Back (co-produced with Cinemax) are two that spring to mind , HBO and the BBC have been making dramas for a lot longer than Sky so its hardly a shock that their content is world renowned.

As you have stated I personally welcome Sky's foray into original programming , there's enough US shows going around on pay TV already as for the TV tax that will always be a contentious issue for many.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 00:15   #1820
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

http://recombu.com/digital/news/uk-t...le_M11172.html

Some nice charts and figures on this website.

Looks like SKY have a real chance of becoming the number 1 TV provider in this country ahead of Freeview.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 07:58   #1821
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Looks like SKY have a real chance of becoming the number 1 TV provider in this country ahead of Freeview.
That's an interesting spin on "Freeview has overtaken Sky as the number 1 TV provider in the country".
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 07:58   #1822
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I agree with your earlier points about HBO and the BBC producing excellent Dramas , that said I've also enjoyed a couple of Sky's Mad Dogs and Strike Back (co-produced with Cinemax) are two that spring to mind , HBO and the BBC have been making dramas for a lot longer than Sky so its hardly a shock that their content is world renowned.

As you have stated I personally welcome Sky's foray into original programming , there's enough US shows going around on pay TV already as for the TV tax that will always be a contentious issue for many.
This is true and if Netflix are capable of producing excellent original content I don't see why Sky can't do the same.

I definitely welcome original content and I'm sure it will work in Sky's favour when they're selling the international rights to their self produced content - Another source of income for Sky.
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 11:57   #1823
Media Boy UK
My post info may change

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Broadcast: Discovery’s TLC set for long-awaited UK launch

Quote:
Lifestyle channel TLC could make its long-awaited UK debut as early as April, with parent company Discovery moving into the final phase of its launch.

Discovery’s latest internal deadline for the channel, which has been in the planning stages for close to two years, is between late April and early May, although sources close to the company suggest this will depend on whether it can reach a carriage agreement with pay-TV platform BSkyB.
http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/b...052015.article
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 16:03   #1824
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
That's an interesting spin on "Freeview has overtaken Sky as the number 1 TV provider in the country".
I seem to have carried over putting a spin on things from my Virgin days. After putting a spin on things for so long, and lets face it most virgin customers have to, I should be all spun out. I simply can't stop doing it
Old 14-02-2013, 17:09   #1825
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I seem to have carried over putting a spin on things from my Virgin days. After putting a spin on things for so long, and lets face it most virgin customers have to, I should be all spun out. I simply can't stop doing it
You're doing it again.....

I (and I am sure many others) am very happy with my VM services (because if I wasn't, I would have moved) - nothing to spin, just simple truth.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 17:38   #1826
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You're doing it again.....

It's all tongue in cheek really.
Old 15-02-2013, 12:19   #1827
Media Boy UK
My post info may change

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Ofcom awards more local TV licences

The following Local TV areas will launch:

=== 2013 ===
-Made in Leeds (Leeds)

©copyright 2013 Ofcom.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 21:10   #1828
Aguero9320
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Paramount+, Apple TV+
Aguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
Lets hop its not too expensive
Do you mean "Let's hope it's not too expensive". I'm Autistic and a Virgin customer, but I sure know how to spell, mate!
Aguero9320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 08:12   #1829
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
Do you mean "Let's hope it's not too expensive". I'm Autistic and a Virgin customer, but I sure know how to spell, mate!
Thats what i meant, my bad, stupid typos
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 15:02   #1830
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

News on the new TV pack
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote