Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] The Football Thread 2005/2006 Season

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] The Football Thread 2005/2006 Season
Closed Thread

Old 24-11-2005, 08:43   #1561
akane1984
Inactive

akane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about them
Re: [Merged] The Football Thread 2005/2006 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
I see 90% of man u fans still think they have to buy success and the solution isnt tactics and on the training pitch.
arent chelski buyin success???
Advertisement
Old 24-11-2005, 10:03   #1562
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK
I thought they had taken them down and were asking for people to put new ones up? Maybe i was wrong going by what Yesman has said
i think what is happening is that during champions league games it just has boards showinh that stars pattern.. during league games we have sponsors boards there and whoever pays for those baords never get to see them as the banners are covering them.. so i think they take them away and then put them back for Euro games.. won't see them much more this season then..

will have a check next leage game i go to

the problem we have is that with Queiroz we are playing negative tactics and trying to hold onto leads.. we look far better going forwards than we ever have down trying to defend.. it's been the same the whole way through our history.. it was always a case of if you score 2 we will score 3.. now we have an ageing team who are being told to play differently to how they have their whole career and instead of playing 4-4-2 with wingers like we always have and been fluid we are now too narrow.. we never replaced Beckham and the only winger we have is Giggs who has been off form for 2 and a half years.. played as a striker as well and too old to go past anyone

our younsters aren't quite there yet, although i don't think they can do any worse than what we have and should be given a chance. Rossi, Pique look pretty good and we have a few others as well
Old 24-11-2005, 10:20   #1563
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
I see 90% of man u fans still think they have to buy success and the solution isnt tactics and on the training pitch.
Every team strengthens their team - but ones like Chelsea bring in handfuls of new players and if they don't work, they just throw them away like a kid in a sweetshop sampling the ones he likes.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 24-11-2005, 10:29   #1564
Shadow Demon UK
Inactive

Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal
Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer
i think what is happening is that during champions league games it just has boards showinh that stars pattern.. during league games we have sponsors boards there and whoever pays for those baords never get to see them as the banners are covering them.. so i think they take them away and then put them back for Euro games.. won't see them much more this season then..
Theres a very interesting article on wikipedia about it.

It says that supporters took them down at first because of the building work in the stadium and then refused to put them back up as a sign of protest over the Glazer takeover.

It also has a list of the new ones that have been put up, my favourite being "Blue Nose day comic relief for 29 yrs" that was put up against city.

Link
Old 24-11-2005, 10:35   #1565
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
Every team strengthens their team - but ones like Chelsea bring in handfuls of new players and if they don't work, they just throw them away like a kid in a sweetshop sampling the ones he likes.
unless they called Winston Bogard then they stay for 4 years getting payed load of money a week for doing nothing
Old 24-11-2005, 10:41   #1566
akane1984
Inactive

akane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer

will have a check next leage game i go to

the problem we have is that with Queiroz we are playing negative tactics and trying to hold onto leads.. we look far better going forwards than we ever have down trying to defend.. it's been the same the whole way through our history.. it was always a case of if you score 2 we will score 3.. now we have an ageing team who are being told to play differently to how they have their whole career and instead of playing 4-4-2 with wingers like we always have and been fluid we are now too narrow.. we never replaced Beckham and the only winger we have is Giggs who has been off form for 2 and a half years.. played as a striker as well and too old to go past anyone

our younsters aren't quite there yet, although i don't think they can do any worse than what we have and should be given a chance. Rossi, Pique look pretty good and we have a few others as well
agreed on all but giggs, i think giggs is one of Utds best performers when hes in the team hes always lively and always turning defenders heads. With age his injuries have become more frequent but if he can get a run in team him on left ronaldo on right and ability for them to switch wings we would be on right track.

i agree the problem is being too defensive and being happy with 1-0s when we cant even hold them.

we still need a few top class central midfielders. and what wingers can we get
Old 24-11-2005, 11:39   #1567
sherer
Inactive

will have to disagree on Giggs.. for over 2 years he hasn't beaten any defenders at all.. most of the time he rus quickly into a defender and looses the ball.. if he is lucky he will run into a defender and the ball may come loose and ge gets past them but 9 times out of 10 he looses the ball.. he doesn't do runs and beat players like he used to.. if he had just come into the team and was 20 and had never had them years to 99 all of us would be stating he is rubbish and shouldn't be in the team.. forget the past and look at what they are doing now.. Giggs and Scholes can't perform for the team any more and need to be replaced.. we have some youngsters in the squad and reserves who could do just as good a job as they are doing now
Old 24-11-2005, 13:10   #1568
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

Shocking news from Portsmouth - I honestly didn't see this one coming

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_...649721,00.html
Old 24-11-2005, 13:33   #1569
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget
Shocking news from Portsmouth - I honestly didn't see this one coming

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_...649721,00.html
A very sad day for football. He needed to stay there a good while longer to finish the excellent job he was doing.
Old 24-11-2005, 13:40   #1570
Nugget
Inactive

Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian
A very sad day for football. He needed to stay there a good while longer to finish the excellent job he was doing.
Excellent? You're not a Southampton fan are you?

Old 24-11-2005, 13:53   #1571
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Can anyone clarify something for me. Everyone is saying that Liverpool and Chelsea are defianetly through to the next stage of Champions League. Looking at the table chelsea have 10 pts and Real Betis have 7. If real betis win their next game 4-0 and chelsea loose 5-0 then wouldnt betis go through on goal difference? I know its unlikely but how can Chelsea definately be true. Dont get me wrong, I love Chelsea to bits but this has been bugging me all morning

Am I being stupid by over looking some glaring fact?
Old 24-11-2005, 13:59   #1572
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo
Can anyone clarify something for me. Everyone is saying that Liverpool and Chelsea are defianetly through to the next stage of Champions League. Looking at the table chelsea have 10 pts and Real Betis have 7. If real betis win their next game 4-0 and chelsea loose 5-0 then wouldnt betis go through on goal difference? I know its unlikely but how can Chelsea definately be true. Dont get me wrong, I love Chelsea to bits but this has been bugging me all morning

Am I being stupid by over looking some glaring fact?
Its not worked out on goal difference. Rather on results between the two teams.
Old 24-11-2005, 14:00   #1573
sherer
Inactive

because the table isn's a league table like in the prem.. if two teams are tied then the rules state that it goes to the old European CUp format..i.e the two results from Chelsea and Betis count before goal difference so that would give an aggregate win of 2-1 to Chelsea and they would go through even if their actually goal diff was worse than Betis
Old 24-11-2005, 14:10   #1574
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Doh! thatnks for clearing that up for me. I thought i was going mad
Old 24-11-2005, 14:12   #1575
Nugget
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo
Doh! thatnks for clearing that up for me. I thought i was going mad
Don't worry - you're still going mad. You've just got one less thing to worry about on the way
Closed Thread