Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Football talk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] Football talk
Closed Thread

Old 25-08-2004, 22:27   #1546
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
Re: [Merged] - Football talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer
i;ll have to double check but a few Eastern European teams have gone longer.
It was english football we were discussing. Can't seem to find the answer anywhere.
Advertisement
Old 26-08-2004, 10:01   #1547
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien
its annoying because i am sick of the record now as it hangs over us all the time, but the only way to get rid of it is to lose WHICH I DONT WANT TO DO ARRRHHHH
that's what the forrest players said at the time as well.. thing is i can't see you loosing for a few games yet.

Don't forget the European Cup draw today. I think it's 11:00 AM will post the results when i get them.

Although it's not really a draw it's more a case of well United can't play Real in case one team gets knocked out and you don't win enough money and you can't play this team in case they get knocked out and you can't play a team from your country either.

They should go back to the old system. If you win your league then you go into the European Cup and then your names go into a hat. If Arsenal get Barry Town from Wales so be it.. if they get Real Madrid then they have to play them and one of them gets knocked out.
Old 26-08-2004, 10:14   #1548
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer

Don't forget the European Cup draw today. I think it's 11:00 AM will post the results when i get them.
Think its later than that. According the the Uefa website its at 16:00CET

Here are the four "pots" for the draw. Each of the eight groups will consist of one team from each pot.

Pos. Club: Coeff:
1 FC Porto (POR) Title-holders 99.969
2 Real Madrid CF (ESP) 146.350
3 Valencia CF (ESP) 139.350
4 FC Barcelona (ESP) 134.350
5 Manchester United FC (ENG) 119.511
6 FC Bayern MÃÃâ€*’¼nchen (GER) 105.331
7 RC Deportivo La CoruÃÃâ€*’±a (ESP) 104.350
8 Arsenal FC (ENG) 103.511

Pos: Club: Coeff:
9 AC Milan (ITA) 93.531
10 Liverpool FC (ENG) 90.511
11 Juventus FC (ITA) 84.531
12 FC Internazionale (ITA) 82.531
13 AS Roma (ITA) 78.531
14 Olympique Lyonnais (FRA) 70.947
15 Chelsea FC (ENG) 67.511
16 Panathinaikos FC (GRE) 65.467

17 PSV Eindhoven (HOL) 65.247
18 Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) 62.331
19 Celtic FC (SCO) 60.600
20 AC Sparta Praha (CZE) 54.914
21 AS Monaco FC (FRA) 51.947
22 RSC Anderlecht (BEL) 49.528
23 AFC Ajax (HOL) 48.247
24 Paris Saint-Germain FC (FRA) 45.947

25 Rosenborg BK (NOR) 42.226
26 FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) 41.300
27 Olympiacos CFP (GRE) 40.467
28 SV Werder Bremen (GER) 37.331
29 FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) 17.300
30 FenerbahÃÃâ€*’§ e SK (TUR) 16.656
31 Maccabi Tel-Aviv FC (ISR) 14.012
32 PFC CSKA Moskva (RUS) 8.572
Old 26-08-2004, 11:22   #1549
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

Mystic Mog moment...

United will get their traditional easy draw - Lyon, Anderlecht and and Olympiakos. They'll qualify with a game to spare.
Arsenal will get their traditional big gun and a nice trip to Eastern Europe in winter - AC Milan, PSG and Dynamo Kyiv. They'll score 9 and concede 9 and go through second.
Chelsea will get Porto, of course, and Celtic and Werder Bremen. They'll beat them all 1-0 and most of the crowd will be asleep after five minutes
Liverpool no one will give a toss about as they won't get out of the group stage anyway. Let's say Real Madrid, Sparta Prague and Rosenborg. Owen hat-trick at Anfield.
Old 26-08-2004, 11:31   #1550
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

was going to set this up as another thread but as Arsneal as broken the record who would you rate as the greatest club side ever

Preston North End 1888
Real Madrid - 1950s
Ferencvaros - 1960s
Man U - 50s
Man U - 68
Celtic - 67
Ajax - 70s
Liverpool - 70-80s
Bayern Munich - 70s
Forest - 80s
Ajax - 90s
Man U - 90s
Real Madrid - 90s
Arsenal - 00s

Think i'd go for either Real Madrid 50s. 5 European Cups in a row plus 5 leage titles in a row and Di Stefano in the side or the Ferencvaros side of the 60s that had Pushkus in it and was the backbone of the Mighty Magyars team that thumped England 6-3 at Wembley
Old 26-08-2004, 11:38   #1551
gazzae
Inactive

I'd have loved to see what the Busby babes would have achieved.
Of the english teams I'd have to say the united team of late 90's early 00's.

As much as it pains me to admit it, the current Arsenal team is pretty damn good, but before I say they are one of the best they have to achieve it in europe.
Old 26-08-2004, 11:42   #1552
sherer
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae
I'd have loved to see what the Busby babes would have achieved.
Of the english teams I'd have to say the united team of late 90's early 00's.

As much as it pains me to admit it, the current Arsenal team is pretty damn good, but before I say they are one of the best they have to achieve it in europe.
if you look at the teams on the list that were home grown \ youth then it would have to be either the Busby Babes \ Fergies Fledglings or the Ajax team of the 70s, most of the other teams on the list bought in alot of their players.

think until the arsenal team do it in Europe they can't be considered great. After all there is a Malta side that has one their league for about 10 years running but still can't qualify for the European Cup..

hink this season they could make the breakthrough look at the confidence they are playing with at the moment.
Old 26-08-2004, 12:16   #1553
BBKing
R.I.P.

BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star

You forgot Arsenal 1930s, who won the championship five times in seven years and formed the backbone (7 out of 11)* of the England side that beat the world champions Italy at Highbury on 14/11/1934 after going 3-0 up in 12 minutes.

England didn't bother with the World Cup back then, we tended to see it as a competition to see who was next best to us.

Only two competitions back then of course, League and FA Cup.
League 31, 33, 34, 35, 38
Cup 30,36

7 trophies out of 18 available over 9 years is pretty dominant I think, although I would have to put them second behind the Madrid of Puskas and Di Stefano in the all-time list.

*Trivial fact - the four non-Arsenal players were from Everton, Derby County , Stoke City and Manchester City. The Man City man got two of the goals. The Stoke man was a 19 year old called Stanley Matthews.
Old 26-08-2004, 12:24   #1554
sherer
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKing
You forgot Arsenal 1930s, who won the championship five times in seven years and formed the backbone (7 out of 11)* of the England side that beat the world champions Italy at Highbury on 14/11/1934 after going 3-0 up in 12 minutes.

7 trophies out of 18 available over 9 years is pretty dominant I think, although I would have to put them second behind the Madrid of Puskas and Di Stefano in the all-time list.

*Trivial fact - the four non-Arsenal players were from Everton, Derby County , Stoke City and Manchester City. The Man City man got two of the goals. The Stoke man was a 19 year old called Stanley Matthews.
good point my knowledge only goes back to about 1950.. not bad considering I was born in 78.

i was going to do this as a vote but as everyone who uses the internet is quite young and doesn't have much knowledge of before 1990 it would end up just being an argument between the united and arsenal fans.
Old 26-08-2004, 13:41   #1555
BBKing
R.I.P.

Quite - odd that there don't seem to be many Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle fans etc. on here - mainly Man U with a couple of Gooners.

My Mum (online since 1995) will be happy to know she's still quite young

More trivial facts - the last game the original Busby Babes played in the UK was at Highbury. They won 5-4. Quite a side, although seeming to take a Keeganesque defensive view (get seven men up, apparently, and outscore them).
Old 26-08-2004, 14:34   #1556
sherer
Inactive

i bought the last issue of the UEFA Champions magazie. There was a poll in there for the top UEFA players of all time. If you read whop made the choices people like Fergie, Charlton, Cruyff, Beckenbaur etc picked players from their time as well as Zidane, Raul etc but the younger players just seem to pick players from their own time which is why ZZ always seems to top these polls. The younger players don't know who Best, Charlton, Charles, Cruyff, Di Stefano, Pushkus etc are. The internet polls are worse as more kids \ young adults vote
Old 26-08-2004, 14:50   #1557
BBKing
R.I.P.

For most people football is something immediate in their lives - there's always a match on somewhere - it surrounds them the whole time, so naturally (and with footballers being major celebrities in their own right) the current crop are going to be the ones people know most about Not everyone goes deep into the history of the thing, that takes real love and dedication.

One of my favourite books is a yearbook of the 1988/89 season (obvious why really) - reading the tables and history of the season there is entertaining, but not as entertaining as the picture of David Seaman playing for QPR in what appear to be a pair of shortish French knickers. Why have shorts got longer over the last ten years?
Old 26-08-2004, 14:54   #1558
gazzae
Inactive

Talking about Zizou, did you know that Man Utd turned down the chance to sign him in 1996, before he moved to Juve?
Old 26-08-2004, 15:21   #1559
sherer
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae
Talking about Zizou, did you know that Man Utd turned down the chance to sign him in 1996, before he moved to Juve?
didn't know that.. to be honest i never really rated him that highly when he was at Juve or even in 98 when France won the WC. He has moved on at Real but compared to Cruyff or Best or Beckenbaer or Eussebio he isn't really in their league
Old 26-08-2004, 15:24   #1560
gazzae
Inactive

Here are the groups so far... I'll update them when they come in

Code:
GROUP A      GROUP B      GROUP C 
Deportivo    R Madrid     B Munich 
LIVERPOOL    AS Roma      Juventus 
Monaco       B L'kusen    Ajax 
Olympiakos   D Kiev       M Tel-Aviv 

GROUP D      GROUP E      GROUP F 
MAN UTD      ARSENAL      Barcelona 
Lyon         Pan'aikos    AC Milan 
S Prague     PSV          CELTIC