Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Football : Season 08/09

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Football : Season 08/09
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 10:52   #136
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: Football : Season 08/09

Just noticed the Arabs reckon they can land Torres as well as still getting Berbatov next season - this shows they have no idea how our football culture works.

Teams selling their top players to their rivals?

What these Arabs lack in common sense they clearly make up for in cash.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2008, 10:54   #137
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Everyone has a price. That is universal.

If you were offered £135m for Ronaldo and say £50m for Berbatov, that you guys wouldn't take it? Of course you would. Its enough money to buy another team with, let alone two players.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:57   #138
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Name a football club that isn't in debt, you know that it's standard practice in finance
I'm not saying teams aren't in debt but United simply don't have a sugar daddy in the way Chelsea and City - that's been my point. We cannot simply go out and spend over £100m on players and guarantee us the title. I'm not begrudging any team financial power and the ability to bring in new players, after all it makes it even sweeter when we beat them and go on to take the trophies, the point I've always made is Chelsea and certainly Man City were pretty much insignificant in the world until one day a rich man turned up.

United's success and reputation were built up over a very long time. That point is unlikely to to mean anything to a supporter of a team who has a sugar daddy chairman.

---------- Post added at 10:57 ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky View Post
Everyone has a price. That is universal.

If you were offered £135m for Ronaldo and say £50m for Berbatov, that you guys wouldn't take it? Of course you would. Its enough money to buy another team with, let alone two players.
Another team?! Who are you talking about, Arsenal?

United would then balance up whether Ronaldo would eventually earn them a figure close enough or exceeding £135m over time. If they reckon he would they why sell him?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 03-09-2008, 11:01   #139
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

I don't know what you mean by the Arsenal comment. I meant generically though. (£135m + £50m) / 11 = 16.8m per player. Enough to make quite a team out of.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:05   #140
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky View Post
I don't know what you mean by the Arsenal comment. I meant generically though. (£135m + £50m) / 11 = 16.8m per player. Enough to make quite a team out of.
My usual dig at Arsenal, I have a quota of 8 per week to achieve.

Can you imagine the disharmony amongst fans, the lifeblood of any team (other than a sugar daddy of course) if any team sold its star player to a rival whether it was Ronaldo at United or Torres at Liverpool?

I'd love to see the scousers crash and burn as much as anyone but even I can see they'd be stupid to sell the one player who looks like he can turn them in to a decent team again.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 03-09-2008, 11:09   #141
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Hey that's not fair...

Man u fans gets to have a dig at arsenal, liverpool get to have a go at everton..etc...

..but city fan's are expected to have a go at city No justice there
Old 03-09-2008, 11:12   #142
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Oh don't worry, once you lot start claiming your team has always been successful and you never actually needed the Arabs then we'll start aiming our snipers

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 03-09-2008, 11:14   #143
punky
Inactive

I know you were digging at Arsenal but I don't know if you meant that £185m was expensive in that Arsenal were over-priced prima donnas, or that that £185m was cheap and that Arsenal are stingy.

Everyone does have a price. And that descision stands with your American overlords.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:15   #144
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

OK well bookmark this page - I am telling you there's no way United will sell Ronnie to City.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 03-09-2008, 11:19   #145
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
OK well bookmark this page - I am telling you there's no way United will sell Ronnie to City.
Not even for 130million? Come on, one man doesnt make a team, and I thought Utd didnt solely rely on Ronaldo.

Besides I'm sure that great developer of players, Fergie, could turn another 11-15 million signing into a player Ronaldo now is (I hear quite a few people give a lot of that credit to Fergie)
Old 03-09-2008, 11:21   #146
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
Tell you what - Villa have spent nearly 50 million during the transfer window so, if Randy's up for another go, can we have him in January instead?

Old 03-09-2008, 11:24   #147
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

If Ronnie can make United £130m in commercial sales, gate receipts and other methods such as his talent winning trophies then why sell him? To a main rival? It doesn't make sense.

And I've never said United don't soley rely on him - of course we do! 42 goals last season which went down to the final game?

So far this season we've lacked any serious firepower with the inexperienced Campbell, and Rooney still not entirely fit. And Ronnie's still not back. Are United a 1 man team? No way but he's definately our star player, just like Torres for Liverpool, like Berbatov was for Spurs and Henry was for Arsenal.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 03-09-2008, 12:23   #148
Shadow Demon UK
Inactive

Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal
Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo View Post
Not even for 130million? Come on, one man doesnt make a team, and I thought Utd didnt solely rely on Ronaldo.

Besides I'm sure that great developer of players, Fergie, could turn another 11-15 million signing into a player Ronaldo now is (I hear quite a few people give a lot of that credit to Fergie)

In my mind, and of course i may be proven wrong, I can pretty much guarentee that United would not sell Ronaldo to City. We will not sell our star player to a team that is already a rival and who it looks like are going to become a rival who will actually challenge us and i can pretty much guarentee Ronaldo wont want to go to city, he wants to go to Madrid, i don't see him as a money grabbing player, more a player who wants to win trophies with the club he has supported his entire life. It's not about one player making a team and solely relying on one player, it's about keeping a star player and not strengthing your rivals. If United were desperate for money they would have already offloaded Ronaldo to Madrid for £70million or so.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:50   #149
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedantic View Post
20 million for a player who will be 28 in January is a fair price to me. Unlike Chel$ki, and it seems now, Man City, normal clubs have to consider a sell on value. If Berbatov was offered a 5 year contract, that would make him 33 if Man U decided to sell him at the end of his contract. He would be worth practically nothing. It must be nice to be able to buy players, and not giving a toss about such trivial matters as sell on values eh?
Well considering they finally paid 30 million, it seems like Utd aren't giving a toss about sell on values either huh.
Old 03-09-2008, 13:03   #150
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

I don't ever remember United needing to make money from sell-ons?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Closed Thread