Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What do I buy?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What do I buy?

Old 11-02-2006, 10:32   #1
LFC4LIFE
Inactive

LFC4LIFE is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation What do I buy?

I was wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I have.

I have an NTL broadband connection and want to connect an extra computer to the internet, is this possible with NTL? I thought I would buy a router and a USB adapter to make the wireless connection. Is this correct? If not what would I have to buy to get the new pc connected wirelessly? Please help!
LFC4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2006, 10:44   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: What do I buy?

Just make sure it's not an ADSL broadband router and if you want wireless connectivity buy a wireless router and wireless NIC or adaptor for the PC.
Have a read through here
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/forum/article.php?a=74
and then put
wireless router
into the search forum box up the top of the screen and check out the different questions and answers given to people asking for advice. It's horses for courses a lot of the time but you will then have a better idea of what you need to buy.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 13:29   #3
patrickp
Inactive

patrickp has reached the bronze age
patrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze age

One other point worth checking, LFC4LIFE, if you can: that the router you get has a 10/100 Mb WAN port. The WAN port is the one that connects to your modem, and if it's only 10Mb capable, it won't handle the full bandwidth of the 10Mb internet connection that ntl says all customers will be on by the end of this year.

Best way to check, usually, is to go the the model page for the router on the manufacturer's site and look for a link to the user manual. This will normally be a .pdf (Acrobat) file, and the information should be under 'Technical Specifications' - or just 'Specifications.'
patrickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 20:02   #4
LFC4LIFE
Inactive

LFC4LIFE is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe I am not looking hard enough, but I can't find the part where it says 10/100 Mbps on these products, but I was wondering about buying these two items:
ROUTER:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=93180
USB ADAPTER:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=92693
Am I right in saying the router plugs into my broadband modem which then transmits the signal to the USB Adpater which would be upstairs to create the connection? If so would these two items create a wireless connection when set up? Thanks
LFC4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 20:29   #5
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC4LIFE
Maybe I am not looking hard enough, but I can't find the part where it says 10/100 Mbps on these products, but I was wondering about buying these two items:
ROUTER:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=93180
USB ADAPTER:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=92693
Am I right in saying the router plugs into my broadband modem which then transmits the signal to the USB Adpater which would be upstairs to create the connection? If so would these two items create a wireless connection when set up? Thanks
taking Patrick's advice, above, and looking on the manufacturers website, throws up this

http://www.usr.com/download/datashee...61/5461-ds.pdf

Quote:
• One RJ-45, 10/100 auto-sensing/auto-switching Ethernet
WAN port
• Four RJ-45, 10/100 auto-sensing/auto-switching Ethernet
LAN ports
looks ok, according to that

<edit> sorry I don't know about wireless stuff, hopefully someone else can advise on your other question
Old 11-02-2006, 20:51   #6
patrickp
Inactive

patrickp has reached the bronze age
patrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze age

Thanks for that, Gaz! ;-)

As I said, LFC4LIFE, you may not find this information on the vendor's site. You'll probably need to go to the manufacturer's site, look for the model you're interested in, and look for a link to the user manual. You should find the information in the manual under 'Technical Specifications' or 'Specifications.'

As Gaz did! ;-)
patrickp is offline   Reply With Quote