Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ethernet Modem and Wireless Access Point

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Ethernet Modem and Wireless Access Point

Old 09-02-2006, 00:15   #1
jonelkins
Inactive

jonelkins is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Ethernet Modem and Wireless Access Point

OK, so I think I already know the answer to this one, but I'm gonna ask anyway..!

I have an NTL 250 ethernet modem and a Netgear WG602 wireless access point. I want to connect the two PCs in my house, via wireless network cards, to the wireless access point and then, in turn, to the modem for internet access.

Have connected the modem to the access point and then tried to find the IP address assigned by the modem to the access point, in the hope that I could then set this up as the Default Gateway on my PCs - but no luck!

Does anyone have any ideas here??? I've found that the 'customer side' IP address of the modem is 192.168.100.1 (thanks to a previous post on this site), which I've also tried throwing into the Default Gateway entry on the PCs, aswell as the access point - still no luck.

I'm quickly running outta ideas and it seems almost certain that I wont be able to do this, but if anyone has come across this before and can help me in any way, it would be much appreciated!
jonelkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2006, 00:39   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Ethernet Modem and Wireless Access Point

to Cable Forum

I hope this is the answer you expect

I can't see this working. You needed a wireless router, not a wireless access point.

You could have a wired router, and then add the wireless access point, so that may now be your cheapest option.

Simply put the modem can only speak to one device at a time. Usually that is a computer. Put a WAP instead of a computer and the modem gets confused.

---------- Post added at 00:39 ---------- Previous post was at 00:38 ----------

There would be one other way of doing it - using internet connection sharing, but that only allows one PC to operate wirelessly in it's connection to the other which is wired to the modem.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote