Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | MAC Address for Cable Modem ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

MAC Address for Cable Modem ?

Old 09-01-2006, 18:03   #1
blue jammer
Inactive

blue jammer is an unknown quantity at this point
MAC Address for Cable Modem ?

On Saturday I got upgraded to 10MB, an engineer came and fitted a cable modem.

I wasn't able to get online until this morning, due to customer services closing at 5pm on Saturday, which was after I had tried both "pin" numbers, given to me by a foolish customer services operator. She first tried to tell me that my original PID number was the pin number, nope that didn't work, and by the time I'd tried the 2nd number she had given me, which was also incorrect, yep, you guessed it, it was too late to get any further

Technical support told me a sales number to call monday morning to get the correct pin number - in the end, they actually re-registered me as a new customer, where I got a new e-mail address, and had to give my bank details (AGAIN!)

Anyway, onto my question:

I have managed to get one pc online, but previously used a router to share the connection between 3 pc's. In the past, I've cloned the MAC address of the network card, is this still the case? as the registered MAC address that came up is different to that of my network card (is that from the modem?) which one do I clone ?

Also, the software on the CD has installed 'netmedic' will it be ok to unistall this, or is it required at all ?

Cheers
blue jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2006, 18:05   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: MAC Address for Cable Modem ?

Just clone the working MAC address in as usual. Netmedic can be removed as long as you don't need it.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 18:19   #3
blue jammer
Inactive

blue jammer is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you mean the one that came up during the Broadband set up CD install, as that has more digits than a usual MAC address:

See image below

blue jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 18:26   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

If you have a cable modem, there should be no need to worry about cloning mac addys or anything.

Simply power off the modem, and disconnect any cables between it and computers. Now connect the router to the modem and router to the PC(s). power on modem, let settle, power on router, let settle, power on PC(s). That should be it.

You should not need any ntl software on your computers.

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

Moving to Computer & IT as this relates to home networks
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote