Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netgear CG814WG cable modem / router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netgear CG814WG cable modem / router

Old 14-11-2005, 11:33   #1
beardsley
Inactive

beardsley will become famous soon enoughbeardsley will become famous soon enoughbeardsley will become famous soon enough
Netgear CG814WG cable modem / router

I have the 10 mbit/s upgrade but unfortunately my Suftboard 3100 is not up to the job. I also discovered that my router WAN port is only 10 mbit/s half-duplex. So I though time to get a replacement.

I noticed a Netgear CG814WG combined wireless access point / cable modem / router on ebay. 100 mbit/s full-duplex ports great. This duly arrived on Saturday, and I configured the LAN and Wireless sides without (major) problems.

However, once I connected the Co-ax things went down hill. It was unable to lock onto a downstream signal. Looking at the status page, it was repeatedly cycling through the frequencies, displaying the signal strength of each but was not able to lock onto any of them.

This is a DOCSIS 2 modem, but compatible with 1.1 and 1.0.

I reconnected the Surfboard, and this locked on within a few seconds.

So is this a faulty unit, of is the CG814WG not compatible?
beardsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-11-2005, 11:40   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Netgear CG814WG cable modem / router

I would strongly suspect it is incompatible with ntl. ntl normally supply the modem, and will need to register the modem to their network. Is suspect what you have aquired was intended for use in the USA, or at least non UK based cable systems.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2005, 11:52   #3
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

You cannot connect non ntl modems to the network.

Ntl will/can only provision their own modems onto the network.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2005, 12:05   #4
beardsley
Inactive

beardsley will become famous soon enoughbeardsley will become famous soon enoughbeardsley will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman
You cannot connect non ntl modems to the network.

Ntl will/can only provision their own modems onto the network.
Not actually true. I have never used an NTL modem.

When I moved into the present house about 4 1/2 years ago, the installers connected the cable the day after we moved in. The procedure at the time was to send out the modems by courier. The NTL modem (Terajet) did not arrive for about two weeks.

I had a Surfboard 3100 which I had purchased previously (not from NTL), so I connected that, went to autoreg.autoregister.net, and registered the modem.

Once I had connected the Netgear, I intended to contact Customer Services with the MAC address, and get them to move my account to that from the Surfboard.
Old 14-11-2005, 12:12   #5
beardsley
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C
I would strongly suspect it is incompatible with ntl. ntl normally supply the modem, and will need to register the modem to their network. Is suspect what you have aquired was intended for use in the USA, or at least non UK based cable systems.
I have logged a support call with Netgear to see what they say. My understanding is that if it is a DOCSIS modem, then it should work.