Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | changing from usb to ethernet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

changing from usb to ethernet

Old 09-11-2005, 00:17   #1
allthom
Inactive

allthom is an unknown quantity at this point
Question changing from usb to ethernet

hi
new to forum hope someone can help
existing modem is a ntl home 120 running 2 meg conn on a p4 3ghz, 1 meg ram, win xp sp2.
my son has bought a linksys wkpc54g wireless broadband router to connect his laptop to the main pc. followed the threads posted about changing from usb to ethernet, followed set up in linksys guide, now laptop can see main pc but neither can access the internet, disconnected router from system and connected modem into lan port on pc, port connected at 100mbps but still no internet. feels like i'am missing some steps in the set up to see ntl connection.
thanks
allthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2005, 00:24   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: changing from usb to ethernet

to Cable Forum

Lets do some initial checks to see where you are on this.

When you connected via ethernet, did you switch off the power on the modem and PC, then swithc back on after changing the conections?

Can you now get a connection to the internet using just the working PC, but on ethernet, not USB, without the router, assuming you have rebooted PC & modem?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 01:50   #3
allthom
Inactive

shutdown as per linksys guide, rebooted modem with ethernet on ,
then booted pc, with just pc connected to modem still no internet
Old 09-11-2005, 11:08   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Rule out the possibility that one of the cables is no good - use one of the spares temporarily, from the rest of the networkd you were building. Try connecting the lappy, instead of the PC direct to the modem (remember to reboot modem - off for about a minute, then on, let it settle before on with the 'puter).

If that don't work, I'd be calling ntl claiming a fault suggesting that the ethernet port to your modem is dead.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 13:36   #5
allthom
Inactive

Smile Re: changing from usb to ethernet

thanks
i am at work at present, will try out suggestion when i get home.
i was suspecting the modem ethernet port as it can be lit, then it will lose connection, but if i push cable end in or waggle it about it comes back on, tried other new cables same thing happens. if i need new modem will they just send one out or will an engineer have to visit and install.
Old 11-11-2005, 00:03   #6
allthom
Inactive

sorted!!!
replaced onboard net card for new pci card, ran installation software shutdown system. booted modem, took while for it to settle down. booted pc so now i'am up and running on ethenet.
just got to sort out the wireless router tomorrow and get the laptop online.
many thanks to forum.