Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | newbie with an Acer LAN problem :(

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

newbie with an Acer LAN problem :(

Old 16-09-2005, 23:30   #1
phils_wicked
Inactive

Services: 30mb cable, Freeview HD
phils_wicked is on a distinguished roadphils_wicked is on a distinguished road
newbie with an Acer LAN problem :(

Hi all

I've just bought a new acer 5021wlmi laptop, and im pleased with it so far.

I have been trying to get my NTL cable connection to work on the laptop, and assumed that I could just unplug the RJ45 from the ethernet card on the main pc and then plug it into the laptop LAN connector.

However it persistanly saying "low signal strength/connection unavaliable" etc. Clicking "repair" does nothing and cannot renew the IP address.

But it works fine when plugged into my main pc.

The light comes up on the LAN connection on the lappy and flashes as if its working ok.

Ive double checked the drivers on the lappy (xp home) and done the usual internet connection settings but it wont have any of it lol

Any thoughts???

Hopefully Im just being thick.

tech specs from Acer UK
http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page...&crc=2078580029
phils_wicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-09-2005, 23:37   #2
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: newbie with an Acer LAN problem :(

So the laptop is definitely set to obtain IP etc. automatically?

Did you reboot the modem when swapping from desktop to laptop?

You *must* reboot the modem when you connect it to a different device.

Turn off the main PC, turn off the modem, disconnect the modem from the main PC & connect it to the laptop, turn on the modem & let it boot up, turn on the laptop.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2005, 23:39   #3
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

I believe you are picking up a wireless connecting hence the low signal strength. I believe the network card will need enabling as you will probably have a wireless onboard and a wired onboard.
Old 16-09-2005, 23:57   #4
phils_wicked
Inactive

Services: 30mb cable, Freeview HD
phils_wicked is on a distinguished roadphils_wicked is on a distinguished road

Hi

Thanks for replying so fast (I guess posting in the wrong place helped.......sorry lol)

Ill try out your ideas and report back!

*Edit*

The wireless connection is sometimes picking up a signal, but its not mine (neighbours somewhere), since I dont have a router, but the signal strength is so low it drops out almost immediately.

Its just the LAN connection Im trying to get working right now, as or enabling it..........hmmm you've got me there, it says its working properly in device manager so I think thats ok.

Thanks Ill try it out and let you know

Well knock me down it worked!!!! lolIm well pleased now thanks to both of you for replying so swiftly

I guess you wouldnt belive Im an Information systems development and networking graduate would you lol

Ohhhh the shame

Cheers
phils_wicked is offline   Reply With Quote