Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Transferring files between two XP boxes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Transferring files between two XP boxes

Old 29-06-2005, 15:05   #1
quack quack
Inactive

quack quack is an unknown quantity at this point
Transferring files between two XP boxes

I've ordered a new computer and have around 10gb I need to transfer from the old one to the new one, unfortunately the old one doesnt have a dvdrw, so it'll have to be done via a network, as I understand it I need a cat5 crossover cable (have no inclination to go wireless for a one off,) will this do the job ?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...156&paintCatId=

And do I just use the XP 'create a new connection' wizard, presumably setting the folder to shared (and the computer as host) in order to get at them ?

TIA
quack quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-06-2005, 15:08   #2
Roy MM
Inactive

Services: NTL cable 20mb Broadband, V+ package.
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Roy MM
Re: Transferring files between two XP boxes

Home or small office network.
Roy MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 15:18   #3
bmxbandit
Inactive

bmxbandit has reached the bronze age
bmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by quack quack
that'll do nicely, but £6 for a 3m cable is daylight robbery!

to the site

aria charge under £3 for a 5m x-over cable... if you know of a computer shop nearby try there forst, save a few quid
bmxbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 15:19   #4
quack quack
Inactive

quack quack is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxbandit

to the site
True enough but I'd rather that than have to take the HD out and its either that or maplin, which I suspect is probably a similar price.
quack quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 15:23   #5
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one

Find a small PC shop somewhere they normally knock out cables for £2 or less for a shorty...

Ask your mates if they have one, sometimes adapters don't actually need a crossover cable to work (note the sometimes! my HP and intel ones don't)
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 15:30   #6
bmxbandit
Inactive

bmxbandit has reached the bronze age
bmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by quack quack
True enough but I'd rather that than have to take the HD out and its either that or maplin, which I suspect is probably a similar price.
blimey, you're right, maplin are just as bad!
bmxbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 15:35   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Once you have plugged in all your cables, use the Windoze Files and Settings transfer Wizards (Start Menu > Accessories > System Tools) to port over all your nice shortcuts and other settings from one PC to the other for each user. Makes some things nice and easy.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 15:39   #8
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Could just get an adaptor to change the normal cable to crossover
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...32423&doy=29m6
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 19:18   #9
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxbandit
Well, it is a lovely shade of purple. It's says it has boots but I can't see any - should protect the sticky up bit of plastic from snapping off.
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote