Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | wireless help needed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

wireless help needed

Old 04-06-2005, 12:24   #1
chrisa
Inactive

chrisa is on a distinguished roadchrisa is on a distinguished road
wireless help needed

Hi guys,

I recieved my wireless-G broadband router today, set it up on the desktop as instructed. However, whenever i try to access a website on my laptop get the message "access denied by access control list" even though the connection is "excellent" according to the laptop. Thus it would seem that i have messed up somewhere, and being a complete newb to these things i don't have a clue about what to do next.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated

Thanks
chrisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2005, 12:29   #2
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: wireless help needed

Can you access any websites from your laptop?

Have you tried pinging any websites?

Go to:

Start > Run

Type cmd and press enter

now type:

ping www.bbc.co.uk

What results do you get? Are you able to successfully ping the site?

How were you connected when you posted your message? Were you connected through the router?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 12:43   #3
chrisa
Inactive

no site came up after trying that command

I am currently on the desktop.
When i type an address into IE i get the same message (as above).
My laptop has detected the connection and says it has an excellent connection, but no kuck when accessing websites.

Hmm
Old 04-06-2005, 12:43   #4
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars

Can you check whether you have a proxy server ticked, if so try unticking it and trying again
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 12:47   #5
iain_herts
Ex SKY Engineer

Services: 2x sky+ /sky16Mb/bt phone
iain_herts has reached the bronze age
iain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to iain_herts

have u rebooted the modem if not turn off modem pc/laptop router now turn on in this order modem-router-pc/laptop.

just make sure all modem lights are solid befor turning on router.

iain
Old 04-06-2005, 12:57   #6
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Ok.

Sounds like you 've got something not set right in the router's control panel.

Go to 192.168.1.1 from your wired connection and check through the settings, you need to look at the Wireless MAC Filter, DHCP Server, Access Restrictions settings, and anything else that looks like it could impose some sort of barrier.
Old 04-06-2005, 13:02   #7
chrisa
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
Ok.

Sounds like you 've got something not set right in the router's control panel.

Go to 192.168.1.1 from your wired connection and check through the settings, you need to look at the Wireless MAC Filter, DHCP Server, Access Restrictions settings, and anything else that looks like it could impose some sort of barrier.
Im at the wireless settings part, and i don't really have any clue about what to do, like i say im crap with all this kind of stuff. In any case, the waireless MAC filter is disabled, the internet connection type is set as automatic configuration DHCP, DHCP server is enabled, MTU is auto. I have no clue what any of these things are let alone if they are hindering my laptop...
Old 04-06-2005, 13:16   #8
iain_herts
Ex SKY Engineer

Services: 2x sky+ /sky16Mb/bt phone
iain_herts has reached the bronze age
iain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to iain_herts

wot is the ip you are getting on the laptop and pc
Old 04-06-2005, 13:25   #9
chrisa
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marge
Can you check whether you have a proxy server ticked, if so try unticking it and trying again
All done, it was the above that was the problem! thanks guys
Old 04-06-2005, 13:42   #10
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars

Glad it's sorted, sometimes it's the simplest of things that end up with us tearing our hair out. Took me almost 8 hours and two long phone calls to Stuartbe to sort mine
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 13:43   #11
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisa
All done, it was the above that was the problem! thanks guys
Nice one