Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The traditional CF voting intentions thread, week 1

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The traditional CF voting intentions thread, week 1
View Poll Results: If the election were held today, who would you vote for?
Labour 25 54.35%
Conservative 4 8.70%
Liberal Democrat 3 6.52%
Plaid Cymru OR SNP 1 2.17%
Reform UK 3 6.52%
Green 0 0%
NI - Unionist 1 2.17%
NI - Nationalist/Republican 0 0%
Other vote 2 4.35%
Will not vote 7 15.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 27-05-2024, 11:13   #151
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: The traditional CF voting intentions thread, week 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
How to have a protest vote in a constituency that has been solidly Tory since its inception in 1974?

Any ideas? Because essentially that's what I've been doing since I began voting.
If you don't know it, your local Electoral Registration Office will be able to supply you with details of who came second last time. You could then vote for whoever this was if your main aim is to unseat the incumbent Tory.
Advertisement
Old 27-05-2024, 11:26   #152
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

More bizareness this morning.

The Tories are starting to pivot the attack on Starmer from 'what does he stand for' (which has some merit) to 'Sleepy Kier' following on from Trump's 'Sleep Joe' tag for Joe Biden.

https://www.ft.com/content/2c00e00e-...9-43264c85a82f

Quote:
Tory officials say Sunak has hit the campaign trail running: the “Sleepy Keir” jibe aimed at Labour’s leader is a direct reference to presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump goading of 81-year-old US president “Sleepy Joe” Biden ahead of November’s election.
They have no ideas. There are plenty of criticisms of Starmer but hardly anyone thinks it's he is too old and tired to do the job. It won't cut through at all. It works with Biden because he is old and he looks like it. The no 1 concern voters seem to have him with is his age and mental state.

Also Steve Baker, NI Minister, has come out against the National Service plan and expects to be fired over it: https://www.stevebaker.info/2024/05/...aw-now-always/
Old 27-05-2024, 11:28   #153
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I’ve put in my application for a postal vote this morning. It’s very easy to do if you know your NI number and you’re asking for a one-off postal vote form to be sent to your home address, and your home address is the address on the electoral roll. You don’t need to scan your passport or driving licence although you do need to scan your signature. Easy enough these days as we all have decent cameras on our phones.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-postal-vote

(Edit) Should add, this is especially useful for Scottish voters as many of us will be on holiday in the first week of July. The process for applying for a postal vote for Holyrood is still a bit old fashioned and involves downloading and posting forms, but Scottish voters looking for a one-off postal vote in a Westminster election can use the gov.uk fully online service.

Last edited by Chris; 27-05-2024 at 11:31.
Old 27-05-2024, 12:05   #154
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
How to have a protest vote in a constituency that has been solidly Tory since its inception in 1974?

Any ideas? Because essentially that's what I've been doing since I began voting.
My parents have often asked the same question as they are in the same constituency as yourself and feel their vote is completely wasted.

l don't know if these links might help you.

https://tactical.vote/

https://tacticalvote.co.uk/

https://www.electionpolling.co.uk/ta...t/conservative

Last edited by denphone; 27-05-2024 at 12:09.
Old 27-05-2024, 12:18   #155
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I’ve put in my application for a postal vote this morning. It’s very easy to do if you know your NI number and you’re asking for a one-off postal vote form to be sent to your home address, and your home address is the address on the electoral roll. You don’t need to scan your passport or driving licence although you do need to scan your signature. Easy enough these days as we all have decent cameras on our phones.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-postal-vote

(Edit) Should add, this is especially useful for Scottish voters as many of us will be on holiday in the first week of July. The process for applying for a postal vote for Holyrood is still a bit old fashioned and involves downloading and posting forms, but Scottish voters looking for a one-off postal vote in a Westminster election can use the gov.uk fully online service.
Thanks. Very useful!

---------- Post added at 12:18 ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 ----------

Quote:

I feel for you.

In our case Michael Gove is gone, and the LibDem guy is ahead by a couple of points in the local polls. Better than Gove.....
Old 27-05-2024, 13:31   #156
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
More bizareness this morning.

The Tories are starting to pivot the attack on Starmer from 'what does he stand for' (which has some merit) to 'Sleepy Kier' following on from Trump's 'Sleep Joe' tag for Joe Biden.

https://www.ft.com/content/2c00e00e-...9-43264c85a82f

They have no ideas. There are plenty of criticisms of Starmer but hardly anyone thinks it's he is too old and tired to do the job. It won't cut through at all. It works with Biden because he is old and he looks like it. The no 1 concern voters seem to have him with is his age and mental state.

Also Steve Baker, NI Minister, has come out against the National Service plan and expects to be fired over it: https://www.stevebaker.info/2024/05/...aw-now-always/
Boris was out at the weekend accusing Starmer of not prosecuting Jimmy Saville. Back in the day (it did the rounds when he was first appointed in 2020) the argument had a certain level of merit, assuming some dotted line could be drawn to show Starmer’s leadership of the CPS meant he ought to have intervened to ensure a prosecution went ahead. It’s by no means clear that argument was ever developed, and now the line just seems to be ‘Starmer didn’t prosecute Saville’ as if it was only ever in his personal in-tray.

All in all, the Tory campaign appears to be to shore up the core, boomer vote by demonising Keir Starmer and teenagers.
Old 27-05-2024, 14:03   #157
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Parents could be FINED if their teenagers fail to do National Service

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tivemenubutton

Quote:
Parents may be fined if their adult children fail to do their National Service when they turn 18, a minister suggested today.

Anne-Marie Trevelyan declined to rule out financial penalties linked to Rishi Sunak's election pledge to make teens spend a year in the military or do unpaid weekend community work.

The proposal, which was unveiled yesterday has triggered a major row, the first of the nascent general election campaign.

Ms Trevelyan, the Foreign Office Minister, said today that many details of the scheme would be set out in a Royal Commission, and refused to rule out punishing parents if their adult offspring refused to take part.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 27-05-2024 at 14:13.
Old 27-05-2024, 14:12   #158
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

They have all gone absolutely mental. The Tory election campaign thus far just looks like this, on a loop:

Old 27-05-2024, 14:17   #159
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Boris was out at the weekend accusing Starmer of not prosecuting Jimmy Saville. Back in the day (it did the rounds when he was first appointed in 2020) the argument had a certain level of merit, assuming some dotted line could be drawn to show Starmer’s leadership of the CPS meant he ought to have intervened to ensure a prosecution went ahead. It’s by no means clear that argument was ever developed, and now the line just seems to be ‘Starmer didn’t prosecute Saville’ as if it was only ever in his personal in-tray.

All in all, the Tory campaign appears to be to shore up the core, boomer vote by demonising Keir Starmer and teenagers.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/60213

Quote:
The CPS said: "There is no reference within the report to any involvement from the DPP in the decision-making in the case. The reviewing lawyer at the time set out their own reasons for the decisions they took, which are reproduced in the report."

Reality Check spoke to Nazir Afzal who was Chief Crown Prosecutor in the CPS for North West England from 2011-15.

We asked him whether - as DPP - Keir Starmer would have known about the decision not to prosecute Savile.

He said: "None of that would have been escalated beyond the south-east and Keir wasn't aware of it."

"At that time we were dealing [with] 900,000 prosecutions a year," he added.
Johnson apparently forgotten what he said previously…

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...osecute-savile

Quote:
On Thursday, during a visit to Blackpool, Johnson was challenged to withdraw the remark.

He said: “I want to be very clear about this because a lot of people have got very hot under the collar, and I understand why.

“Let’s be absolutely clear, I’m talking not about the leader of the opposition’s personal record when he was director of public prosecutions and I totally understand that he had nothing to do personally with those decisions.

“I was making a point about his responsibility for the organisation as a whole. I really do want to clarify that because it is important.”

Last edited by Hugh; 27-05-2024 at 14:36.
Old 27-05-2024, 19:48   #160
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy

I feel your anger Maggy....... Torys ppl are quite underhanded but trying to put a dent in that isnt gonna be easy.... Everything is on thier side ('rigged' like) otherwise Im sure he would be out by now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone
My parents have often asked the same question as they are in the same constituency as yourself and feel their vote is completely wasted.
Ya alot feel this way...... The Powers that be really have the control over who wins so yes people just coming in voting really means nothing....... If they want someone else,they will get them in regardless of who votes for whoever.......
Old 27-05-2024, 22:37   #161
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

The Tories are going full generation war: https://x.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1795205841068454393

'Triple-lock PLUS'. Big tax breaks on pensions.

Quote:
NEW: The Conservatives would upgrade the Triple Lock for pensioners with an extra income tax cut.

The new 'Triple Lock Plus' would raise pensioners' tax-free allowance each year.

National service for the young, tax cuts for the old. Big difference in the generational offering!
Old 27-05-2024, 22:38   #162
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

These people have no shame*…

*obviously hoping no one will remember the impact of Truss’ shenanigans on people’s Pension Funds…
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4408.jpeg (33.3 KB, 45 views)
Old 27-05-2024, 23:00   #163
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The Tories are going full generation war: https://x.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1795205841068454393

'Triple-lock PLUS'. Big tax breaks on pensions.
The reporting on this in the Sun is absolute bolleaux scare-mongering…

Quote:
The Tories also plan to guarantee in legislation that OAPs’ personal allowance will always be higher than the level of the state pension.

Party insiders say that by 2027/28, at the current rate, the state pension will be £12,578. The tax-free allowance is now £12,570.

Without action, it would mean the elderly having to go through a red-tape headache of filling out a self-assessment form.
I have been claiming pensions since late 2018 (4 x Defined Benefit pensions since 2018, a Drawdown pension since mid 2021 (made up by consolidating 4 Defined Contribution pensions), and a State Pension since late 2022), and I haven’t had to fill out a self-assessment*. All HMRC does (automatically) is offset your State Pension against your Personal Allowance, and if you get more than the Personal Allowance, put a K tax code (you have untaxed income which is more than your tax-free amount. This has been added to your pay or pension so the extra tax can be collected) against one of your pensions, and put the rest on BR (basic rate taxation of 20% with no allowance on those).

*my State Pension alone takes me over the basic Income Tax starting threshold
Old 27-05-2024, 23:18   #164
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Reading more into it, it's not as much as it seems on the surface. It would be nicer if they raised all thresholds but Tory party policy is to screw over those in work.

I wonder if they're in danger of overselling it though. It sounds too good be true when people here 'quadruple lock' and makes them seem like they are in a panic.

Also if this is what they're starting with then how far are they going to go? Probably some really crazy promises coming soon.
Old 27-05-2024, 23:46   #165
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Guess they are hoping their senile support have forgotten about all the manifesto pledges they've broken from the last election . Lies are acceptable these days. They should make manifestos contractually binding, as it is, they mean nothing.

Last edited by Mr K; 28-05-2024 at 00:12.
Closed Thread