Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 17:05   #5461
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Punishing different age groups differently is basically giving a free pass for other age groups to act less responsibly. If you feel people aren't being discouraged enough, that's fine and I agree because far too many people aren't taking things seriously, but punish everyone that's flouting the law equally.

This isn't an age issue, it's an issue that affects everyone and everyone needs to be on board with it.

There's another side to the statistics as well - correlation is not causation. More young people are being infected, that is true and I have no doubt that a proportion of that, even a significant proportion, is people going out drinking and partying - but that doesn't necessarily mean they're breaking the law, refusing to wear masks or not respecting social distancing. You can do everything "right" and still get infected. A large proportion of frontline workers are young people, that also skews the statistics greatly as well. You don't often find retired people working the checkouts.

We eased restrictions, opened pubs and encouraged people to go out, eat out to help out, etc. and suddenly we've had a rise in cases. If you want to look for someone to blame, blame the government. If you want to look for a group to blame, blame the group that refuses to wear a mask, or spreads stupid conspiracy theories - and those groups span all ages, all demographics.
The rump of misbehaviour is an age issue and you must know that. The offenders can then infect anyone.

Again - what's the matter with you, Kush?

My advice is at your risk.
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2020, 17:07   #5462
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
The rump of misbehaviour is an age issue and you must know that. The offenders can then infect anyone.
Offenders can infect anyone - true.

Only young people are offenders - false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

Again - what's the matter with you, Kush?

Why do you keep turning this into a personal argument?
Old 11-09-2020, 17:09   #5463
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
What's your obsession with punishing younger people? Covid doesn't care what age you are, if you spread it, you spread it. Fine anyone not social distancing or wearing a mask. If you really want to punish the younger folk, take solace in the fact that they have a much lower quality of life than the 50-65 group had when they were younger.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54116939 R is above 1 again.

Here comes second lockdown.
Really, and you know this, how?
Old 11-09-2020, 17:15   #5464
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Really, and you know this, how?
Economic data.

There’s plenty of data out there to show that younger people today have less employment opportunities, are saddled with more debt, more likely to stay at home with parents for longer and are further from the housing market than previous generations.

Of course the bitterness that the older generation have means many will not see that and blame eating avocado, and lattes. They live to deny progression for those that fame after them.
Old 11-09-2020, 17:16   #5465
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
These are inevitable really, although by the time they come out in the figures it’ll be too late. Cases doubling every 8 days, R definitely above one. Steps need to be taken to slow the spread, and stop it spreading into the most at risk groups. Or it’s lockdown 2. Boris has as much said we are buying time until Operation Moonshot is up to speed.

Just make wearing mask mandatory, no mask no entry in to any building.

Some idiot suggested that a face mask causes a build up of CO2.

Despite the fact a NHS doctor wore a medical spec mask and a O2 reader and his levels did not move.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Old 11-09-2020, 17:19   #5466
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Just make wearing mask mandatory, no mask no entry in to any building.

Some idiot suggested that a face mask causes a build up of CO2.

Despite the fact a NHS doctor wore a medical spec mask and a O2 reader and his levels did not move.
The misinformation around masks is ridiculous. It costs next to nothing, takes little effort and has some effect.

No it’s not a silver bullet. But we don’t have one of those, that doesn’t mean masks isn’t progress.
Old 11-09-2020, 17:20   #5467
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Offenders can infect anyone - true.

Quote:
I never said that. Where did I say that?

Quote:
Because you are jumping in on replies I make to jfman or Andrew. You obviously have the right but your new found tendency, which has not happened before, leads to a curt reply.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 11-09-2020, 17:21   #5468
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Economic data.

There’s plenty of data out there to show that younger people today have less employment opportunities, are saddled with more debt, more likely to stay at home with parents for longer and are further from the housing market than previous generations.

Of course the bitterness that the older generation have means many will not see that and blame eating avocado, and lattes. They live to deny progression for those that fame after them.
Fair enough point on the economic data, but the bit in bold is ridiculous!
Old 11-09-2020, 17:24   #5469
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Economic data.

i don't think any generation has been/or is worse off than the generation preceding it.
Old 11-09-2020, 17:24   #5470
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It might take longer than you’d expect. If the “I had Covid in January brigade” are right - we of course don’t know as there was no testing, and hasn’t been antibody testing - hospitalisations followed much further down the road.

Unless of course “I think I had Covid in January” was simply a misinformation exercise to reassure people that it wasn’t so bad.
On Jan 2nd I was around my sisters celebrating my nieces 19th birthday. I wasn't feeling to good, I came home ad was sitting on my sofa shivering and felt like crap.

I went to bed at 8:30pm on the Thursday night and woke a 8am on Saturday I had zero energy, I look back and think did I have Covid then?

This was before CV was really known about.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Old 11-09-2020, 17:25   #5471
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The misinformation around masks is ridiculous. It costs next to nothing, takes little effort and has some effect.

No it’s not a silver bullet. But we don’t have one of those, that doesn’t mean masks isn’t progress.
I'm all for mandatory masks indoors (except eateries and pubs)
Old 11-09-2020, 17:27   #5472
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I agree with you on that, but I wouldn't wear one outside unless it was fairly crowded.
Old 11-09-2020, 17:42   #5473
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Either masks are needed indoors or they're not. If you absolutely need to eat or drink then either do it away from others, or do it quickly and put your mask back in place. The idiotic exceptions highlight the contradictions.
Anything that is classed as being "safe", has to be safe to such a high level, as otherwise more people will do that activity, more often, meaning any "safety" gain is completely lost.
Old 11-09-2020, 17:53   #5474
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Either masks are needed indoors or they're not. If you absolutely need to eat or drink then either do it away from others, or do it quickly and put your mask back in place. The idiotic exceptions highlight the contradictions.
Anything that is classed as being "safe", has to be safe to such a high level, as otherwise more people will do that activity, more often, meaning any "safety" gain is completely lost.
Again it’s 100% or nothing from nomadking.
Old 11-09-2020, 18:01   #5475
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Again it’s 100% or nothing from nomadking.
A principle is just that. If the principle is safety, the exceptions have to be safe to the same level. A room full of people eating or drinking isn't magically safe, compared to a room full of the same people not eating or drinking.
Closed Thread