Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The 2017 General Election

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The 2017 General Election
View Poll Results: Current General Election Results
Labour 262 39.64%
Conservative 318 48.11%
Liberal Democrat 12 1.82%
Green 1 0.15%
UKIP 0 0%
SNP 35 5.30%
Ind 23 3.48%
DUP 10 1.51%
Voters: 661. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 07:59   #211
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: The 2017 General Election

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
I'll be surprised if May is still leader at the end of 2017, nevermind 2020. She screwed up big time.
Apparently, the bookies estimate a 54% chance of another election this year.
Yet more money wasted on election admin that could be spent on the NHS, schools and security.
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2017, 09:11   #212
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

So what we've learned from this mess is that Theresa is a bloody old fool.

calling an election that we didn't need purely for the reason of bigging up her ego. she was hoping that she would be given super human powers by the voting public.

she's weaker now than she ever was. she's more wobblier than she ever was.
Stability?? my arse!
the woman is pathetic. go old wobbly can't be taken seriously woman!

when you hear her talk now and hear her wobbly voice. you just can't take her seriously can you.
she's trying to be in charge but she really can't pull it off.
shake your fists more wobbly woman. that might work!
Old 10-06-2017, 12:06   #213
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
Quite honestly, this election has been a disaster for everyone pretty much.

Teresa May because she lost the majority that Cameron somehow against all the odds in 2015 secured
Corbyn because whilst doing so much better than I and many polls predicted didn't win the election
Sturgeon because the incessant banging on about a second Scottish independence referendum drove voters away to the Scottish Tories
Nuttall & Farage because UKIP is now pretty much finished as a political party, in all honesty once the Leave result last year won UKIP should had disbanded

In fact, only the DUP seem to have been the big winners out of this election, finding themselves effectively in government, even if there's no official coalition or confidence and supply agreement between them. However, I cannot see this lasting for a full 5 years now so I am 90% sure we will be having the election by 2020. Also probably without May as leader of Tories.
They'll be another election this year never mind 2020. The DUP are right wing homophobic trouble making nutters. They'll be demanding everything and holding her to ransom. Only takes a few Tories to rebel on any issue or a couple of by elections for it all to fall. One of her MPs is in court facing charges next month; he'll find it hard to vote behind bars.

Labour didn't win but they did far better than anyone expected. They are going forwards, the Tories have pressed the self destruct button as usual. Jezza needs to bring some of the former Labour big guns back, but they have to accept why he's been successful and that New Labour is history.

---------- Post added at 12:06 ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
So what we've learned from this mess is that Theresa is a bloody old fool.
Yes a lot of Tories seem to have that sentiment. None of them said it before the election though, they thought she was a tactical genius ! They underestimated Corbyn and took the public for granted. The tide is turning, the next few months will be a shambles and the Tories will get the blame. Meanwhile Labours support will increase.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:42   #214
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Two in three Conservative Party members say that May should announce her resignation.

http://www.conservativehome.com/thet...signation.html
Old 10-06-2017, 12:58   #215
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
The DUP are right wing homophobic trouble making nutters. They'll be demanding everything and holding her to ransom..

Some of the DUP policies are in line with Biblical teaching. Good.

But they will not be used as a bargaining chip. They are interested in the Brexit aspect. They want a friction less border, but out of the single market. Something everyone wants.
Old 10-06-2017, 13:11   #216
Mr Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
They'll be another election this year never mind 2020. The DUP are right wing homophobic trouble making nutters. They'll be demanding everything and holding her to ransom. Only takes a few Tories to rebel on any issue or a couple of by elections for it all to fall. One of her MPs is in court facing charges next month; he'll find it hard to vote behind bars.

Labour didn't win but they did far better than anyone expected. They are going forwards, the Tories have pressed the self destruct button as usual. Jezza needs to bring some of the former Labour big guns back, but they have to accept why he's been successful and that New Labour is history.

---------- Post added at 12:06 ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 ----------

Yes a lot of Tories seem to have that sentiment. None of them said it before the election though, they thought she was a tactical genius ! They underestimated Corbyn and took the public for granted. The tide is turning, the next few months will be a shambles and the Tories will get the blame. Meanwhile Labours support will increase.
Think you are getting a little carried away. The Conservative campaign was shocking as was their manifesto and yet they still beat labour by 56 seats. It was also the highest turnout since 97 and the majority appear to have been students who leaned towards Labour.

The Conservatives also increased their share of the vote by 12.4% whereas Labour increased by 9.8%.

So, in my opinion, they had their chance and blew it.

Old 10-06-2017, 13:24   #217
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

From yesterday's News Quiz.

Jeremy Corbyn proved wrong all those people who said he couldn't win an election, by not winning an election...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 10-06-2017, 13:26   #218
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post

But they will not be used as a bargaining chip. They are interested in the Brexit aspect. They want a friction less border, but out of the single market. Something everyone wants.
Not quite true
Old 10-06-2017, 13:32   #219
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
From yesterday's News Quiz.

Jeremy Corbyn proved wrong all those people who said he couldn't win an election, by not winning an election...

Yep, which is explained by this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg words.jpg (182.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 10-06-2017, 13:35   #220
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

Frankly, I'm no fan of any of them. I still want a 'None Of The Above' option - that way the politicians would find out, for certain, what the electorate really thinks. I reckon NOTA would get a majority, It'd be fun, if nothing else, to see what would happen.

For myself, Heinlein's logic still rings true: if you can't decide who to vote for, then vote against. The fly in the ointment is that if you don't want to vote for any of them, then you end up voting for none of them, i.e. not voting. Which is precisely why I want NOTA - it would be possible to make your feelings known while not compromising your principles by voting for someone you don't want to vote for. (The exception to this was 1997, when millions of people including me voted against the Tories for the simple reason that we were desperate to get rid of them! I don't know anyone who reckoned Labour would be any better - they weren't, of course, and I never trusted Blair and that creepy smile anyway - but at least they weren't the damn Tories!)

And don't give me that cobblers about not being entitled to complain if you don't vote - us non-voters still have to pay our taxes, which pay for whichever government gets in! (Speaking of taxes, did you know tax rebates are taxed? Yeah - I claimed a rebate for work uniform laundry...and lost 20% of it in VAT! )

The current political system does not work. End of. As far as I'm concerned they can all take a running jump.
Old 10-06-2017, 13:36   #221
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post

Well, hopefully not Exodus 21.7, Exodus 35.2, Leviticus 11, etc.

https://youtu.be/DVL-gA1KpxQ

(Not to mention Deuteronomy 21:18-21, Leviticus 21:17-23, Leviticus 15: 19-20)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 10-06-2017, 13:38   #222
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Around here, those that abandoned Labour in 2015 to vote UKIP, allowing the Tories in, have now abandoned UKIP and gone back to Labour, ousting the Tories. To be expected. No huge swell of voting by youngsters either.
Old 10-06-2017, 13:41   #223
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Frankly, I'm no fan of any of them. I still want a 'None Of The Above' option - that way the politicians would find out, for certain, what the electorate really thinks. I reckon NOTA would get a majority, It'd be fun, if nothing else, to see what would happen.

For myself, Heinlein's logic still rings true: if you can't decide who to vote for, then vote against. The fly in the ointment is that if you don't want to vote for any of them, then you end up voting for none of them, i.e. not voting. Which is precisely why I want NOTA - it would be possible to make your feelings known while not compromising your principles by voting for someone you don't want to vote for. (The exception to this was 1997, when millions of people including me voted against the Tories for the simple reason that we were desperate to get rid of them! I don't know anyone who reckoned Labour would be any better - they weren't, of course, and I never trusted Blair and that creepy smile anyway - but at least they weren't the damn Tories!)

And don't give me that cobblers about not being entitled to complain if you don't vote - us non-voters still have to pay our taxes, which pay for whichever government gets in! (Speaking of taxes, did you know tax rebates are taxed? Yeah - I claimed a rebate for work uniform laundry...and lost 20% of it in VAT! )

The current political system does not work. End of. As far as I'm concerned they can all take a running jump.
So, as a matter of interest, exactly what kind of policies would you vote for?
Old 10-06-2017, 14:11   #224
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Banana View Post

The Conservatives also increased their share of the vote by 12.4% whereas Labour increased by 9.8%.
That was the UKIP disintegration effect. Nigel's coming back and swivel eyed loons will return to UKIP when it becomes apparent they aren't getting the Hard Brexit they have wet dreams about.
Old 10-06-2017, 14:17   #225
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Fallout continues for Theresa Mays election campaign team.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-team-dup-live