Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | how does vm work via nas? qnap... do i need a default os on the computer?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

how does vm work via nas? qnap... do i need a default os on the computer?

Old 15-09-2015, 19:05   #1
wakkaday
cf.addict

wakkaday is an unknown quantity at this point
how does vm work via nas? qnap... do i need a default os on the computer?

ive just ordered a nas, and i am interested in this vm

at the moment my macbook has a parrallels desktop and windows 8 installed. so i imagine the vm would be very similar

but my question is if i have another laptop.. i would some kind of default OS before i could access the vm OS ? sorry if thats sounds like a stupid question

but it makes me wonder why i would need a vm, when the computer has an OS already installed on it...

unless of course its different like linux, android etc

thanks

ive ordered a qnap pro ts-253
im hoping to access this remotely using virgin superhub 2.0
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-09-2015, 21:09   #2
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age
Re: how does vm work via nas? qnap... do i need a default os on the computer?

maybe I'm missing somehting, but I don't understadn the question.

when I see VM, it means Virtual Machine, or I guess on these forums Virgin Media

a NAS would already have an OS on it, which you would probably access via a web page from one of your PCs to confgure etc, browse the files, kind of liek you do for a router.

I don't think you remote desktop to them.

not sure where you using a VM? people use VMs on physical PCs to access different OSs etc on one PC.

edit:

just googled it, this it?
http://www.ebuyer.com/666187-qnap-ts...FUg8GwodCSAB5Q
I think you can use it as a server with a hypervisor so you could install different OSs on it, and remote connect to them, or you could just use it as a NAS.
the hypervisor OS is just a means to install an OS, you can't usually do anything with them, it's to get your VMS as "close to the metal" as possible without the overhead of a fullyu blown OS just to host VMs.
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 22:34   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have a WD NAS and can access it via the web.

I had to set up Remote Access then mobile access, for mobile access I had to download the app and followed the instructions. This also involved in getting a code from the NAS to enter into the app when requested.

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:21 ----------

Misread the question

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 08:45   #4
wakkaday
cf.addict

wakkaday is an unknown quantity at this point

ah thanks guys
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 17:33   #5
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

If you are planning on running VM's - you'll need iSCSI support - I don't think VMs are supported on a Samba / SMB share.
Old 22-09-2015, 18:16   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

VMs work fine on Samba/SMB and pretty much anything else.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote