Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Should I be worried?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Should I be worried?

Old 10-09-2013, 23:42   #1
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Should I be worried?

Can anyone think of a technical reason as to why when I do a speedtest my IP shows up as being on the US Department of Defense network in Ohio?

If not I guess the NSA finally found me and are routing my traffic through their servers DoD Network Information Centre.....anyone got a hammer?
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2013, 00:21   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Should I be worried?

Run, don't walk, to the nearest 24 hour police station (good luck finding one of those locally), and approach the counter with arms outstretched awaiting the application of handcuffs. That will be preferable to the 6 o'clock door removal alarm call
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 00:32   #3
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Run, don't walk, to the nearest 24 hour police station (good luck finding one of those locally), and approach the counter with arms outstretched awaiting the application of handcuffs. That will be preferable to the 6 o'clock door removal alarm call
Was only speaking a few hours ago to someone who is on call as a chippy, with most of his call out work being to fix front doors the police have kicked in At least replacing the door isn't a worry but a long walk discarding bits of hardrive shrapnel on the way could be a better option
Old 11-09-2013, 23:09   #4
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Are you using any proxying of any sort?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 23:39   #5
spreadsheet
cf.geek

Services: virgin internet / sky TV
spreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to all

cut up a load of tin foil and throw it in the air like confetti when paranoia reaches breaking point - this will throw the drone bomb off course

also - make sure you have gps disabled on you smart phone
spreadsheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 00:43   #6
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Are you using any proxying of any sort?
I was logged in to a VPN server in either france or holland at the time and their IP address's are a good deal different. A traceroute at the time wasn't helpful as it showed the 10.* ip address, then the next hopped time out, then it looped continuously back the 10* ip. The VPN provider couldn't work it out either, never had that kind of issue with them before or since. I did wonder if they had a Tor exit node there, even though I had no Tor services running.

Gonna be one of those little mysteries I think!

Good plan SpreadSheet! But did you know that android 4.3 keeps wifi on even when you turn it off? For background location services they.....right. A hidden away menu lets you turn the wifi to the really really off setting though
Old 12-09-2013, 16:31   #7
RainmakerRaw
cf.addict

Services: Gig1
RainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of light

Someone at proxy.sh or the data centre IP spoofing for the lulz, maybe? Rather disconcerting either way!

---------- Post added at 16:31 ---------- Previous post was at 16:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
But did you know that android 4.3 keeps wifi on even when you turn it off? For background location services they.....right. A hidden away menu lets you turn the wifi to the really really off setting though
I've been on Android 4.3 for a while now, and I would hardly call WiFi > Advanced hidden away lol It also asks whether you want to enable or disable the feature during installation so it's hardly sinister.
Old 12-09-2013, 17:58   #8
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainmakerRaw View Post
Someone at proxy.sh or the data centre IP spoofing for the lulz, maybe? Rather disconcerting either way!

---------- Post added at 16:31 ---------- Previous post was at 16:27 ----------

I've been on Android 4.3 for a while now, and I would hardly call WiFi > Advanced hidden away lol It also asks whether you want to enable or disable the feature during installation so it's hardly sinister.
Definitely disconcerting, for a lot of reasons

It wasn't proxy.sh, they were interested in how it could happen too, as it shouldn't be possible. They checked there wasn't any re-routing going on and I checked to see if there was ways of spoofing a different IP to speedtest.net via the HTTP request or through flash. I might have missed something but still don't see how this could have happened of its own accord.

Still waiting for the official 4.3 upgrade (don't get me started on Samsung and S3 updates) so was going by what I read on a few sites. An advanced menu isn't too bad although the average user probably won't notice it and expect that when they turn off wifi that is is off. Xprivacy works with 4.3 so all good to go
Old 13-09-2013, 02:54   #9
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Could easily have just been the Speedtest.net applet bugging out
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote