Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VPN question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VPN question

Old 18-05-2010, 19:17   #1
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era
VPN question

I have bought a Netgear FVG318 VPN router. The manual will only give me instructions on how to VPN connect using their own Netgear software at £30 a pop for a single user or £140+ for a 5 user license (which is what I really want).

I am unwilling to pay for this unless I can get some idea the router is working as it should out of the box.

I have followed the "VPN Wizard" interface on the router, setting up gateway to client.

I have tried using the "connect to workplace" on Vista Home and get nothing.

I have downloaded a few IPSec installs for Vista Home and still, even with the most basic settings, I cannot connect.

I have tried connecting from my work connection and my 3G card so all connections are isolated from my home network.

Any help much appreciated.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-05-2010, 20:02   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: VPN question

I think you might be getting a bit confused as to what is actually doing the VPN work.

To have a VPN you need a client (normally the client at which you are sitting), and a server device (the point into which the connection is being made).

If you were to use the Netgear setup, I would expect the server would be the Netgear router, and client would be Netgear software installed on your local computer.

If instead you are trying to use Vista software as the client, what are you trying to connect to? The Netgear router? I suspect that might not work as the protocols for authenticating the connection may have different encryption and other weirdness.

Having said that the only VPN connections I've successfully used have been using the inbuilt Windows VPN connect to workplace stuff on my local PC, into a remove Windows Server box that is receiving the connection. Moreover I had to ensure the router's between the computers were fully compatible and didn't block the protocols. I've never been successful with VPN where a router in the loop was Netgear, even if the specs said the router was VPN passthrough compatible
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 14:26   #3
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

The Pro Safe vpn software is really just a means of deploying a policy driven vpn client to users so it shouldn't be required at all.

Looking at the router specs there's really nothing unorthodox going on so I'd hazard a guess that it's possibly an authentication settings issue. What are you seeing in event viewer when the clients fail to connect?
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 17:43   #4
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

I have tried the Shrewsoft client and I get that the "negotiation has timed out".

Rob. What you describe is exactly what I am trying to do.

I have conflicting advice from the manual, netgear forums and Shrewsoft "how to" pages.

Does the FQDN string have to be a true Internet address like fred.dyndns.com (which I have setup something similar, as Virgin uses dynamic IP) or as the Netgear manual states "fvg_netgear.com" and the Shrewsoft pages say "client.domain.com" litterally as these strings (which don't exist on the www).

It doesn't appear to be the way I am remotely connecting (using my Nokia phone from my laptop over 3G as an access point) as I am trying the same from a fixed BT IP at work and still no cigar.

My problem is my local experts are great at Linux VPN stuff, but when it comes to hardware VPNs and Windows - are at a loss.

Both ends are using 3DES and the authentication Diffie Helmen stuff matches.
Old 23-05-2010, 02:08   #5
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

To save anyone else going through this.

Netgear Gateway to client VPN requires their proprietry software at 40 quid a pop.

However Shrewsoft do a free client that is Win7 & Vista (all versions) compliant.

Setting up is quite nonsense as remote and local addresses use non FQDN settings.

www.vpncasestudy.com offer advice about setting up these weird settings in the routers and clients to talk to each other.

Using software from Joikuspot allows use of your mobile as an access point enabling you to tunnel in from an outside IP while watching activity on your local Intranet.

Works a treat and all free.

I can now see my grass growing on CCTV from anywhere which is why I wanted it

Waldo