Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Modem security problem?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Modem security problem?

Old 10-05-2010, 18:32   #1
D-Mac76
Inactive

D-Mac76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Modem security problem?

Hi

I connect to the internet through a wifi router (Dynamode) that I got ages ago from Virgin and the standard cable modem.

Today I noticed that the modem lights were busy even though all my conectable devices were powered off (PC,Consoles)

At first I thought that there was a signal comming in from somewhere then realised that with all my stuff switched off only the "data recieved" light should be flashing but the modem was sending data too....tons of it.

I use WPA2 security on my wifi router...along with a substantial password.

Is it probable that someone localy had broke the security on my router or is it possible that someone/something can signal in and comunicate directly with these devices themselves. I didnt think the modem itself held any data and my dynamode router is pretty basic too

Thanks
D-Mac76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2010, 10:48   #2
Griffin
Inactive

Griffin is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Modem security problem?

Personally myself i also use the mac codes of my connected devices as extra security against the chances of anyone cracking the wpa2 key. This is of coarse possible to do as a few on here will tell you. Mac spoofing is also possible but the ore security you can add to your wi-fi the better, the only way to be really secure is not use it but if you are like me that,s not really an option. It also defeats the idea of having wi-fi too
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:50   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Welcome to the forum

Just check the attached devices on the router, that will tell you if anyone else is using the system.

Moved to networking as it's not a modem issue but the router
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:24   #4
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of

I do remember a few years ago that for the send & receive lights on my modem started to always flash, but then it stopped.

One quick test you can do is does the data activity on the modem stop if you turn off your router, or disconnect it from the modem?
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote