Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin or Netgear issue?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin or Netgear issue?

Old 25-04-2010, 13:22   #1
roo
Inactive

roo is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin or Netgear issue?

On Friday my Virgin broadboand stopped working. I connect via a Netgear WGR614 wireless router. Rang Virgin on Friday who told me I must have a virus and would need a complete system restore! Rang them again yesterday and I'm sure that wasn't needed and finally got my internet back on by connecting the modem directly to my laptop, taking the arial out of the modem and restarting the modem. Only problem is when I put the ethernet cable back in the wireless router it won't connect. In the Netgear router setup wizard it kept detecting a static ISP. Finally got it to detect a dynamic ISP by running the wizard at the same time as restarting my modem. Got the light to go green then by restarting my modem and router. Internet worked for about 10 seconds them went off again. Tried to connect directly to the modem again and internet wouldn't work again. Had to unplug arial etc to get it working. Rang Virgin again who said they don't support the router as it isn't a Virgin one so I should ring Netgear or purchase a Virgin router. This router has worked fine for 3 years and I managed to set it up myself despite not being very good with all things IT related....anyone got any ideas how to sort this?
roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-04-2010, 14:00   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin or Netgear issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roo View Post
finally got my internet back on by connecting the modem directly to my laptop
Not a vm modem issue so moved to networking
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote