Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | RDP onto my home machine

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

RDP onto my home machine

Old 13-11-2009, 13:42   #1
azcomposer
Inactive

Services: XXL Broadband (50Mbit), XL TV, XL Phone
azcomposer is an unknown quantity at this point
RDP onto my home machine

I am trying to RDP onto my machine.

I have set up a port forwarding rule (3389) on the router to point to my machine. I have also allowed the protocol on my firewall. RDP is also enabled on the PC.

When I try to RDP, (using external IP address), it says the computer is not available.

Does the modem, which I have read cannot be configured, blocking my RDP attempt?
azcomposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-11-2009, 16:10   #2
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: RDP onto my home machine

AFAIK the modem acts like a bridge between your cat5 and VM cable networks and really doesn't play a part in filtering or handling IP traffic.

Check your firewall logs. Switch off PC firewall temporarily and see if that helps. Use something like Wireshark to see the packets coming in. Check setup on the "server" to see if it has some IP filtering.
Old 13-11-2009, 16:18   #3
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

I would suggest you avoid using RDP to a home machine.
Logmein would be more secure and works well with both VM and ADSL.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 16:26   #4
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

You should be able to. Mine works. Either RDP isn't on properly, there is a firewall blocking it or the port isn't open. Can you try it on another local machine?

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 16:39   #5
bomber_g
Inactive

Services: Lots
bomber_g will become famous soon enoughbomber_g will become famous soon enoughbomber_g will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
/\ /\
this

also, if you tell me your IP address I'll try and help you... PM it though as I want to help myself

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:39 ----------

i mean - help you myself
bomber_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 17:18   #6
azcomposer
Inactive

Thanks for the replies.

It's the firewall on my machine! I automatically thought it would allow RDP as a rule by default, but it seems it does not. I have tried to manually allow TCP In on 3389 on the firewall but it still blocks it! Tried various combinations. I can see the entry in my firewall logs each time I try, but can I unblock it? Seems no.

Disable firewall, and it all works.

@Aragorn - I am already using logmein (which is brilliant), but I wanted another 'backdoor' just in case. I am using AVG IS 9.0 for the first time, and Zonealarm was easier to configure and RDP worked. Maybe I am doing something wrong with AVG, but I am not convinced.
Old 13-11-2009, 17:35   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

If a firewall allowed RDP by default then I'd really be worried

Glad you're sorted
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 17:37   #8
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Couldn`t agree more.
Another good Windows based solution is Teamviewer .In fact, i use Teamviewer via Wine on occasion to give the odd bit of remote assistance.It`s much easier & safer than expecting people to forward ports and indeed leave them open for more insecure methods such as RDP.

Personally i prefer a nice encrypted ssh tunnel, with a bit of added configuration and some nice dsa keys to boot but theres rarely any need for my having to login to home so the it`s rarely even running.
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 17:48   #9
azcomposer
Inactive

As I said, RDP as a backup.

Also, I am evaluating AVG IS 9.0 (have AVG AV 8.5 at the mo), and so far it's blocking everything, which is good, but not so good if I want it to unblock certain ports and it still blocks.

Logmein Pro is fine, but there have been a couple of times when I have lost connection and it wasn't VM's fault (not on those occasions anyway!).

Unless I am mistaken, I thought RDP was automatically allowed through the Windows (XP) firewall - I've never had to create a rule or allow it when I used it...
Old 13-11-2009, 18:24   #10
Sir John Luke
Inactive

Sir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful one

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...eshooting.html

any use?
Sir John Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 21:23   #11
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

As the thread has gone beyond the initial
Quote:
Does the modem, which I have read cannot be configured, blocking my RDP attempt?
and onto firewall questions I've moved the thread to NETWORKING
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote