Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Gigabit Routing Performance Home Routers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Gigabit Routing Performance Home Routers

Old 17-03-2009, 21:55   #16
mischievious
Inactive

Services: Sky
mischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Gigabit Routing Performance Home Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
the good old build your own is always a good option too ,if you can ballance the costs of parts against the power usage, and the low power micro motherboards are getting cheaper by the day, assuming you can find enough slots and (dual+) ethernet gigE cards to populate to your needs or a good external cheap gigE switch to plug into a single port OC but power useage increases that way.......
presumably you are talking about turning a small low powered pc into a router capable of linking lan to wan (lets for now ignore the previous stuff about private wan for simplicity) with Gbit net adapters? I think I am with you.... but sorry if I didn't find the post entirely clear.

In this instance I would agree but you would require a good technical understanding plus you may also find that you ISP may well be relying on the fact that current private HW is slow. This gives them an escape clause, "it's your router".... Having had to deal with a number of ISP's professionally, I am sceptical of them all.....

I hope your experiences in Holland are much better
mischievious is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-03-2009, 01:44   #17
kpanchev
Inactive

Services: BB L package
kpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enough

Given the described situation, your only option is a custom build. If you are familiar with linux, it should take you a couple of hours to set one, if not, there are plenty of ready-made distros with web interface wizard-like configuration to play with... As for the power consumption, if you can afford a gigabit wan, I don't think that will be a problem...
kpanchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 10:09   #18
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpanchev View Post
Given the described situation, your only option is a custom build. If you are familiar with linux, it should take you a couple of hours to set one, if not, there are plenty of ready-made distros with web interface wizard-like configuration to play with... As for the power consumption, if you can afford a gigabit wan, I don't think that will be a problem...
Yes, this is pretty much what I thought. I am familiar enough with Linux, it powers the appliances I work on full time, so that's likely the way I'll have to go.

Plenty of options for network cards, be it a single dual port network card or two single ports, and I can just hook the LAN side up to a gigabit switch to provide the port density so that won't be a problem.

As far as affording goes, well, some places aren't like the UK!

---------- Post added at 10:09 ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischievious View Post
This gives them an escape clause, "it's your router".... Having had to deal with a number of ISP's professionally, I am sceptical of them all.....

I hope your experiences in Holland are much better
Oh a quick Iperf between devices on WAN and LAN ports on router soon puts anything like that to bed
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 10:27   #19
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbandings View Post
...snippety snip snip...
I know, who would ever want to leave the UK? Quality of life is so high here, such low taxes, such great public services, and the people are fantastic, so safe and peaceful even late at night. Why on earth would anyone ever leave?

Feel free to think of me as insane for wanting to leave this wonderful country.
If you are going to Holland, the taxes are higher
"- Part of the income from EUR 0 to EUR 17,878: 33.5 %
- Part of the income from EUR 17,878 to EUR 32,127: 42 %
- Part of the income from EUR 32,127 to EUR 54,776: 42 %
- Above that: 52 %."
National Health Insurance is on top of that.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 11:23   #20
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Surprisingly I know this, and am indifferent you actually see something for the taxes you pay, while here a fair proportion appears to go to people who do not wish to work and/or protest against our way of life.

Cost of living there is substantially lower in many ways which compensates and indirect taxes tend to be lower.

Income Tax is a pointless value in the UK as there are so many other ways that the government puts hands into our pockets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...centage_of_GDP

Ah btw the health insurance / social security premium is taken into account with the lower brackets of tax, the actual income tax rates are 2.35% and 10.85% for the lower two brackets but this is boosted as the premiums are taken into account and capped to an income of 30,015 euro.

Quote:
The Netherlands has partly a progressive tax rate. In the very past the highest income bracket in the Netherlands was 72%, in 1990 the highest income bracket became 60% and in 2001 it became 52%. The brackets now are 2.35%, 10.85%, 42% and 52%. But the first two brackets also contains the Social Security payments (premiums, AOW, ANW and AWBZ), making it effectively 33.5%, 42%, 42% and 52%.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 19:41   #21
mischievious
Inactive

Services: Sky
mischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Oh a quick Iperf between devices on WAN and LAN ports on router soon puts anything like that to bed
Depends on your ISP I guess:

http://www.redorbit.com/news/technol...d_speed_tests/

They may still find someone/something else to blame.
mischievious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 23:32   #22
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Yes, this is pretty much what I thought. I am familiar enough with Linux, it powers the appliances I work on full time, so that's likely the way I'll have to go.

Plenty of options for network cards, be it a single dual port network card or two single ports, and I can just hook the LAN side up to a gigabit switch to provide the port density so that won't be a problem.

As far as affording goes, well, some places aren't like the UK!

---------- Post added at 10:09 ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 ----------

i was doing some browsing for wireless gigaE and external band B wireless kit and came across this set of boards Broadbandings

the Atheros at 680MHz should be more than able to cope with full gigE, its a shame we cant get these in generic SOHO kit
http://www.mikrotik-store.eu/product...450G--L4-.html

72,80 EUR
excl. 19 % Tax excl. Shipping costsProduct No.: RB/450G
Print product data sheet
Shipping time:immediatly
Mini Router
CPU Atheros AR7161 680MHz
5 x 10/100/1000 Ethernetports
Memory 32MB/256MB
Storage 64 MB
Power Jack 10~28V DC
RouterOS Level4