Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netgear to Virgin Connection drops

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netgear to Virgin Connection drops

Old 07-03-2009, 10:13   #1
Lindamaginda
Inactive

Lindamaginda is an unknown quantity at this point
Netgear to Virgin Connection drops

Hi, I'm using a Netgear WGR614 v9 router to connect wirelessly to my new HP laptop. The connection drops intermittantly and the signal strength is poor. I seemed to get a slight improvement when I changed to Channel 1 and set security to WPA-PSK (tka and aes). But connection still drops and signal goes from fair to poor within 15 ft of the router. Any ideas on what I can try?
Lindamaginda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2009, 01:11   #2
mischievious
Inactive

Services: Sky
mischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Netgear to Virgin Connection drops

1. Try looking/updating to a new router firmware
2. As above for your network card

I suspect you are probably on wireless g which is in the 2.4Ghz frequency range. Unfortunately this is an unregulated range and therefore you could be a victim of radio poisoning. For example this is the same frequency band that radio controlled cars use. You could if possible try upgrading to wireless a, in the 5Ghz range.

I'm not saying that you estate is plagued by radio controlled devices, it is simply an example that many devices use this range.
mischievious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:23   #3
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindamaginda View Post
Hi, I'm using a Netgear WGR614 v9 router to connect wirelessly to my new HP laptop. The connection drops intermittantly and the signal strength is poor. I seemed to get a slight improvement when I changed to Channel 1 and set security to WPA-PSK (tka and aes). But connection still drops and signal goes from fair to poor within 15 ft of the router. Any ideas on what I can try?
Try channel 11 and is this the Virgin router.

If so check out my instructions in the following posts

Do this first http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34746112-post5.html

Do this second http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34746063-post2.html
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 10:37   #4
Lindamaginda
Inactive

Lindamaginda is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow Mischievious, you may have something on the interference stakes. I turned off our digital phones however we got a radio enthusiast nextdoor. Mind you, I can pick up other people's networks better than my own. I'm interested in the upgrade to wireless a - but never heard of it. What frequency does wireless n use? Where can I get wireless a and for how much does anyone know? Thanks Moldova, I've tried different channel 11 but same problem.
Lindamaginda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 14:03   #5
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindamaginda View Post
Wow Mischievious, you may have something on the interference stakes. I turned off our digital phones however we got a radio enthusiast nextdoor. Mind you, I can pick up other people's networks better than my own. I'm interested in the upgrade to wireless a - but never heard of it. What frequency does wireless n use? Where can I get wireless a and for how much does anyone know? Thanks Moldova, I've tried different channel 11 but same problem.
Try each channel in turn to see if you get a better connection, and possibly follow my install instructions above without the Virgin software.
Old 13-03-2009, 22:34   #6
mischievious
Inactive

Services: Sky
mischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of lightmischievious is a glorious beacon of light

As far as I am aware wireless n is a proposed newer standard which can use bith 2.4 and 5Ghz bands. I haven't read up on n too much but wireless a has actually been around for quite a while. It is frequently used in larger companies and many new devices use this technology as there is less overlap with other devices.

I hope this helps.
mischievious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 22:40   #7
Peter_
Permanently Banned

You could always get a Netgear N router from Virgin from next Tuesday 17/03 click the link for more information.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...lable-all.html