Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless internet keeps disconnecting!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless internet keeps disconnecting!

Old 31-08-2008, 16:31   #1
shredder
Inactive

shredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via MSN to shredder
Wireless internet keeps disconnecting!

Hello!

Can anyone help me? Since I've moved house I cannot connect wirelessly for more than 10 minutes. My connection is never more than 17.0 mps. It only stays connected if I am less than 6 meters from the router, even when there are no walls in the path! I have no fax machines etc to interfere and the router is connected to the master telephone socket. I have a negear DG834G and my operating system is windows xp.

Please can someone help before I cancel my contract with AOL tomorrow as they are totally unhelpful everytime I call!

K x
shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-08-2008, 20:35   #2
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Re: Wireless internet keeps disconnecting!

connect directly and see if you have the same problem
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 21:01   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Try changing the channel the router is using 11 is the defaulf IIRC to anoher number

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 21:26   #4
shredder
Inactive

shredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation era

Thanks for getting back to me. I've tried channels 01 and 11, but there's no difference? My connection is fine when connected with an ethernet cable 54.00 mps, it just won't work wirelessly and I really need it to!
Old 31-08-2008, 21:37   #5
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal

Is the router rented? i.e. does it belong to AOL or is it one you have bought? does someone you know have another one you can try?
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 21:45   #6
shredder
Inactive

It came from AOL when I signed up with them, but they've said it's not their responsibility and that they don't supply techincal support for routers if the router works when connected via ethernet....even though my contract specifically states 'wireless'?? They've told me I should phone netgear and Microsoft, both of which cost a fortune and I gave up on after 10 minutes of holding!

Unfortunately, I don't have access to another router
Old 01-09-2008, 01:12   #7
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

Can contact them on technical assistance can be obtained from our European Support Team on 0844 875 4000.
Or mail them at customerservice.uk@netgear.com
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote