Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM + SMCWBR14S-N2 + bittorrent

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VM + SMCWBR14S-N2 + bittorrent

Old 25-06-2008, 09:57   #1
desktopcarl
Inactive

desktopcarl is an unknown quantity at this point
VM + SMCWBR14S-N2 + bittorrent

Just a note about an SMC router that is a new addtion to PC World and at £70 not a bad buy (SMCWBR14S-N2).

Works fine under normal use with sometimes randon needs to reset to get a DHCP (which you can do via the 192.168.2.1 address)

It gets interesting when you try using bittorrent, when it drops connection every 5 minutes because the router keeps making the router ask for a DHCP update.

I have done a firmware update and disabled all it's normal firewall type activity to eliminate that, choked bitorrent down to a minimal number of connections, even tried putting the PC out in the DMZ. Still the same problems of rebooting and getting the modem to go for another DHCP lease after about 5 minutes heavy use.

[the modem works fine with bittorrent when connected directly]

So, after a couple of weeks flogging at the problem I think I have to conclude that my router is fundamentally incapable of dealing with the increased traffic? Though works ok under normal conditions.
desktopcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-06-2008, 01:13   #2
hoggie
Inactive

Services: V+.XL tv & Bb
hoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nice
Re: VM + SMCWBR14S-N2 + bittorrent

have you tried forwarding the port bittorrent is using ?
that worked ok for me. but found the utorrant software easier to configure for downloading large text files for collage.
try this link.
http://portforward.com/routers.htm
hoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 06:01   #3
desktopcarl
Inactive

Oddly the port forward procedure on the SMC worked really smoothly, so there was no problems with that, was in fact much easier than the previous one I had (Linksys 54)
Old 03-07-2008, 17:18   #4
desktopcarl
Inactive

OK, just for completeness, the SMC unit appears to have a Belkin chipset in it - found out while prowsing for network devices and have an SMC and Belkin (WFA) router listed

Given Belkins history of popping off DHCP connections I am guessing I have to wait for someone to come up with a better firmware.