Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moved House - Connection Drops

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Moved House - Connection Drops

Old 15-06-2008, 08:31   #1
Logan
Inactive

Services: Sky+ NTL 10mb
Logan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Logan
Moved House - Connection Drops

Hi

I moved house recently and took my Virgin cable with me. Engineers came out, installed it etc. gave me a new black Virgin cable modem, Ambit 256 to replace my old NTL 250. Other then that everything else was how it was in the old house i.e. still using same router which is the D-Link DIR-655 and the same two computers.

Anyway, my internet connection keeps randomly dropping out and I can't work out why. I'm thinking its to do with the router because the modem lights remain solid. Only trouble is I cannot think what's changed to make the router keep dropping the internet connection?

When I go to my router settings, for the internet connection its setup as follows:

Internet connection: Dynamic IP (DHCP)
Host Name: Blank
Use Unicasting: Checked
Primary DNS Server: 0.0.0.0
Secondary DNS Server: 0.0.0.0
MTU: 1500
MAC Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00

There's a button there that says 'Clone Your PC's MAC Address' - no idea what this is about.

On the status page I have:

WAN

Connection Type : DHCP Client

QoS Engine : Active

Cable Status : Connected

Network Status : Established

Connection Up Time : 0 Days, 0:39:18

MAC Address : Information Here

Authentication & Security :

IP Address : Information Here

Subnet Mask : 255.255.252.0

Default Gateway : Information Here

Primary DNS Server : 194.168.4.100

Secondary DNS Server : 194.168.8.100

Note: Information Here just means I removed the numbers that were there for privacy in this post.

Any suggestions as to why my internet connection keeps dropping out?

Thanks in advance.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-06-2008, 08:45   #2
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2
Re: Moved House - Connection Drops

hi,
i have got pretty much the same setup, have you set security on the router i had problems with connection dropping until i set that, since then it has been solid
saabmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 19:53   #3
Logan
Inactive

Services: Sky+ NTL 10mb
Logan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really niceLogan is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Logan
Re: Moved House - Connection Drops

Hi, thanks for the reply. I think I may have solved it now. I disconnected everything and left it disconnected for awhile. I upgraded the router firmware too. Reconnected everything, firmware update reset to factory defaults, and now, touch wood, it is no longer randomly disconnecting.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote