Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 19:47   #8731
OldBear
Inactive

OldBear is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Actually no, much more shocking than that, but I don't really want to go into it.
Oh dear! Sorry about that, hope it works out for you, mate.
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2008, 20:03   #8732
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post
@BT
You keep spouting "BT sought expert legal advice before commencing the trial."
Well, how about disclosing who these 'experts' were? and disclosing the advice you were given?
Is it me?

Everytime I hear or read this: "BT sought expert legal advice before commencing the trial."

I think:

"Seeking" legal advice is not the same as "Taking it" or "Getting it"

I can send a letter asking for something. I have "sought" something.

"Getting" a reply to my request with answers, that is something different, isn't it?

They could have had a reply costing out what full legal advice might require on the subject. That might just be enough to class as "seeking" advice.

Maybe just words, but the truth behind them is what they may be relying upon.

Seeking is just not actually the same as getting.

Hank

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 20:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privacy_Matters View Post
Hows about approaching a newspaper that is sympathetic to our cause?

Also, when folk post their FREE ads in the FOR SELL section of their local paper, do you think they could get away with a small image as such?

eBay? A nice banner strategically placed beside the item for sell?
LOL...:

For sale - "My browsing history"

Auction will take place outside The Barbican on July 16th.

Old 12-06-2008, 20:04   #8733
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Old 12-06-2008, 20:07   #8734
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post

For sale - "My browsing history"

Auction will take place outside The Barbican on July 16th.
Made me laugh

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
I was hoping that was real but no auction found for that listing number.

Alexander Hanff
Old 12-06-2008, 20:09   #8735
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
I was hoping that was real but no auction found for that listing number.

Alexander Hanff
The thought never crossed my mind
Old 12-06-2008, 20:11   #8736
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
The eBay picture
ROFL Funny!

I'm not going to bid myself. I was almost tempted to bid for Jodrell Bank telescope for £100 a few months back when that was up for offers, but I thought better of it when I realized 'buyer collects'
Old 12-06-2008, 20:16   #8737
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

If we can put together a promotional pack for the event, we could sell it in this eBay category for free:

http://everythingelse.listings.ebay....istingItemList

Any DTP professionals reading who fancy putting together a PDF "booklet" for this?

In fact I could put two auctions up, one for free and one for £1.00 so people can choose to donate by purchasing the booklet rather than getting the free one.

Alexander Hanff
Old 12-06-2008, 20:17   #8738
Bobcat
Inactive

Bobcat is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a thought while everything is quiet for the moment.

Quote from: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/news on 2/6/08

Hugo Drayton, Phorm's UK CEO believes the technology will give ISPs a much needed opportunity to take part in the revenue-generating opportunities offered by the growth of broadband through a system which does not, he claims, identify someone in a way that can be linked back to their real identity.

"The ISPs are the Internet and they're being expected to roll out ever better networks to support functions that they do not gain from," he says.
(End quote)(My bold)

It's been said that BT could generate some £84+ a year from the implementation of Webwise/OIX.

I have no idea how many BB customers BT has but just for the sake of argument lets say it's about 5 million. If only 2 million of those are on Option 3 at £25 a month that's an income from that alone of £50M a month or £600M a year. And they need more to provide the service?

Perhaps the AGM will provide us all with the knowledge of exactly how much BT's income and profit were for the last year and how much more their shareholders want to bleed from us.
Old 12-06-2008, 20:23   #8739
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Actually it was £84M over 4 years if I remember correctly which means even if they did pump the profits into cheaper prices it would amount to a reduction of just 44p per month (based on BT having 4 million customers) and that's if they put all the money back into cheaper prices (pre-tax)

Alexander Hanff
Old 12-06-2008, 20:31   #8740
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
Hugo Drayton, Phorm's UK CEO believes...

"The ISPs are the Internet and they're being expected to roll out ever better networks to support functions that they do not gain from," he says.
Er, wrong Hugo.

No, no, Hugo... The ISPs are NOT the internet and that is the point you have missed setting up Phorm.

No. The internet is many things, but it is NOT the ISPs.

Before the internet we had letters, faxes and phone conversations. The Post Office was not the communication, they were the conduit for it.

The ISPs provide a conduit for data and that IS the way it WILL stay!!

The internet is enabled by the conduit and the communication on it is ours, the readers/listeners and the content providers.

When will you get this through yours and Kent's thick heads?

How low does your share price have to go?

Hank

Old 12-06-2008, 20:39   #8741
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Actually it was £84M over 4 years if I remember correctly which means even if they did pump the profits into cheaper prices it would amount to a reduction of just 44p per month (based on BT having 4 million customers) and that's if they put all the money back into cheaper prices (pre-tax)

Alexander Hanff

Don't forget the cost of all the extra monitoring Hardware & the ongoing Power Consumption. This doesn't look like a good business model for an ISP when taking all this into account.

The only real winners would be the Advertising Agencies & Phorm.
Old 12-06-2008, 20:48   #8742
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post
Don't forget the cost of all the extra monitoring Hardware & the ongoing Power Consumption. This doesn't look like a good business model for an ISP when taking all this into account.

The only real winners would be the Advertising Agencies & Phorm.
Yeah the power usage (although I would have to double check the BT report) for the entire Phorm network would be about 300KW/h so using my electricity price as a very rough guide that comes too:

7200 KW per day @ 12p per KW/h comes to:

£864 per day or £315360.00 per year if the servers run at peak 24/365

Obviously this is a very rough estimate it is impossible to say how much power their systems will drain and I have no idea how much BT pay for their power but I assume it is a great deal less than my domestic rates; but it does provide a basic illustration. It would seem that power costs could be around the 1% mark when you take into account the £84M over 4 years.

Alexander Hanff
Old 12-06-2008, 20:53   #8743
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Er, wrong Hugo.

No, no, Hugo... The ISPs are NOT the internet and that is the point you have missed setting up Phorm.

No. The internet is many things, but it is NOT the ISPs.

Before the internet we had letters, faxes and phone conversations. The Post Office was not the communication, they were the conduit for it.

The ISPs provide a conduit for data and that IS the way it WILL stay!!

The internet is enabled by the conduit and the communication on it is ours, the readers/listeners and the content providers.

When will you get this through yours and Kent's thick heads?

How low does your share price have to go?

Hank

How low do the shares have to go? They need to hit zero ( £0.00 ) before these clowns get the hint. There is no other minimum level for the Phormshets. Someone earlier said that only "Ash" should be left, I disagree, even the ash from Phromshet should be got rid of. We don't want some kind of new K~nt venture to rise from the ashes now do we?
Old 12-06-2008, 21:14   #8744
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Yeah the power usage (although I would have to double check the BT report) for the entire Phorm network would be about 300KW/h so using my electricity price as a very rough guide that comes too:

7200 KW per day @ 12p per KW/h comes to:

£864 per day or £315360.00 per year if the servers run at peak 24/365

Obviously this is a very rough estimate it is impossible to say how much power their systems will drain and I have no idea how much BT pay for their power but I assume it is a great deal less than my domestic rates; but it does provide a basic illustration. It would seem that power costs could be around the 1% mark when you take into account the £84M over 4 years.

That's assuming they still use the cookie option, without cookies Load Balancing could be a real problem.
The cookies were being used to prevent infinite loops 1% was the figure quoted I believe.

This was of course before this became Public knowledge, the first thing a User does is to try to block unwanted sites.

How can BT or Phorm detect & drop these loops in a hostile environment without cookies?

The Nebuad System may well have the same problem.

Alexander Hanff
---------- Post added at 21:14 ---------- Previous post was at 21:11 ----------

Sorry got the quote in the wrong position & my system always logs off the forum, so I couldn't edit it
Old 12-06-2008, 21:15   #8745
tarka
Inactive

tarka is on a distinguished roadtarka is on a distinguished road

Don't forget the cost of datacentre space (that could be used or leased for other things if nothing else), the cost of extra cooling, the staff and equipment to monitor and maintain the servers/equipment, hardware maintenance contracts etc. I imagine we all know where software support would come from and probably with no cost!
Closed Thread