Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wrt54gs Wep

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wrt54gs Wep

Old 10-03-2008, 12:41   #1
Gizmo1888
Inactive

Gizmo1888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Wrt54gs Wep

Alright folks,

3 laptops here(2vista, 1xp)......1 wrt54gs through a virgin BB cable modem

3 laptops all connected wireless, only the xp lappy identifies the network and connects to the net.

The two vista's do not.....

I have WEP setup on the WRT54GS....when I disable WEP the two vista's find the network and connect no problem....

My question is, how can I get the vista lappy's to connect to the network with WEP activated.....

Please list possible solutions if there aren't too many

Cheers in advance folks

note;
I'm using WEP instead of the other security options WPA etc because the xp lappy using 'B' technology wont understand the WPA encryption, so I have read.
Gizmo1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2008, 12:45   #2
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Re: Wrt54gs Wep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo1888 View Post
note;
I'm using WEP instead of the other security options WPA etc because the xp lappy using 'B' technology wont understand the WPA encryption, so I have read.
Depends on the drivers I think... I had a linksys 802.11B card (WPC11v3) that with the updated drivers did support WPA
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:53   #3
Gizmo1888
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Depends on the drivers I think... I had a linksys 802.11B card (WPC11v3) that with the updated drivers did support WPA
Cheers for that info, I'll look into that......

Any answers for the WEP Vista issue though, I would like to know where I am going wrong.....or if its a hardware software issue

The issue arrives when I'm prompted for the key or pass phrase.... I then enter the correct pass....... then it tries to identify the network and responds with unidentified network

Does vista understand WEP 64bit 10 digit, is it my network card that doesn't understand WEP 64bit, do I have to set my wireless card to understand it?

These are the only solutions I can think of but don't know how?
Old 10-03-2008, 13:15   #4
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

A few questions to see if I can help...
What wireless cards are being used to connect?
Do any of the laptops use the same type of wireless card to connect to the router?
Have you tried 128bit wep?
What type of key are you using? (Passphrase or manual key).
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 13:29   #5
Gizmo1888
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrByte View Post
A few questions to see if I can help...
What wireless cards are being used to connect?
Do any of the laptops use the same type of wireless card to connect to the router?
Have you tried 128bit wep?
What type of key are you using? (Passphrase or manual key).
All cards are inbuilt......Packard Bell(XP) is using an Intel 'B' which connects fine as I stated

The Vaio(Vista) uses an Intel(R) Pro Wireless 3945abg

The Dell Vostro(Vista) uses the same

128bit results with the same issues.

I have tried using the passphrase and the passkey..... both no go
Old 11-03-2008, 21:11   #6
Gizmo1888
Inactive

Looking like I'm lumbered with this issue then......

Scoured the net to the best of my ability and can't find anything relating to my woes
Old 11-03-2008, 21:16   #7
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Can you change them all to WPA PSK? Its more secure and the router supports it
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 21:35   #8
Gizmo1888
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_and_Crazy View Post
Can you change them all to WPA PSK? Its more secure and the router supports it
The Packard Bell Lappy with its wireless 'B' technology doesn't support WPA.....
Old 12-03-2008, 14:21   #9
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo1888 View Post
The Packard Bell Lappy with its wireless 'B' technology doesn't support WPA.....
Are you actually sure of that? Wireless B does support WPA, its just the majority of cards that dont isnt it?
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 16:02   #10
OldGeezer
Inactive

OldGeezer will become famous soon enoughOldGeezer will become famous soon enoughOldGeezer will become famous soon enough

It may possibly be nothing to do with WEP/WPA, but TCP/IPv6 incompatibilities.
I couldn't connect wirelessly to my router (Draytek 2100VG) after upgrade to Vista until I disabled TCP/IPv6 in the wireless connection properties, even though wired was OK with TCP/IPv6 enabled.
OldGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 16:27   #11
gc10360
Inactive

Services: VM XL phone & BB - sky HD - SONY bravia 52W4000 LCDTV HD DVD & BLU RAY XBox 360 ONKYO 605 HD Reci
gc10360 is on a distinguished roadgc10360 is on a distinguished road

The best way would be to invest in a pcmcia wireless G card for the wireless b lappy then you could use wpa on all pcs they only cost around £20.00
gc10360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 17:57   #12
Gizmo1888
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrByte View Post
Are you actually sure of that? Wireless B does support WPA, its just the majority of cards that dont isnt it?
Sorry, I meant the card doesn't support WEP.....it's been suggested new drivers for the card will allow it to use WEP.....would that be possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGeezer View Post
It may possibly be nothing to do with WEP/WPA, but TCP/IPv6 incompatibilities.
I couldn't connect wirelessly to my router (Draytek 2100VG) after upgrade to Vista until I disabled TCP/IPv6 in the wireless connection properties, even though wired was OK with TCP/IPv6 enabled.
Tried and failed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc10360 View Post
The best way would be to invest in a pcmcia wireless G card for the wireless b lappy then you could use wpa on all pcs they only cost around £20.00
That is my last resort, but thanks for the input

*EDIT*

still no joy here
Old 14-03-2008, 21:59   #13
Gizmo1888
Inactive

the other lappy's respond well too WPA2..... so the xp lappy has a agere systems ieee wireless mini card 7007.... is it possible to get a driver that will allow this card tae understans wpa2?
Old 15-03-2008, 10:26   #14
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Depends on the ID string for the card,but prob not.
Found this old thread with an Agere WPA driver but only for certain cards.
Go into device manager on XP, look at the properties of the wireless card and switch to the 'Details' tab and select Hardware Ids from the drop down list. If you can find the card ID on the list of supported cards for that driver you should be OK - otherwise, time for a new card
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote