Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Free Router New Laptop

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Free Router New Laptop

Old 10-03-2008, 21:40   #1
Iken Fityemean
Inactive

Iken Fityemean is an unknown quantity at this point
Free Router New Laptop

Hi, just bought and awaiting delivery of my first laptop. My mate has offered me a router which he says is the right one for my cable broadband. Its a Buffalo WBR-G54. My knowledge in this area is sparse. I did a search and it appears to date from about 2003 when the 'G' standard for Wi Fi was in its infancy. My question is this. Will it need new drivers or firmware etc and will it give me similar performance as say a Belkin or Netgear router that I can buy for under £30 on Amazon? Some of the forums and reviews from 2003 are contradictory but several suggest it is not easy to set up and configure. (it will be a first for me but I can read a manual and fingers crossed understand most of the jargon)
Thanks for any input and opinion.
Iken Fityemean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2008, 21:12   #2
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: Free Router New Laptop

Doesn't read very well on the reviews and prob most importantly the default firmware doesn't support WPA security (only WEP insecurity).
You're more likely to get a satisfying and safe wireless experience with one of the brands - Netgear, Belkin or Linksys. (Linksys WRT54G does it for me)
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 21:46   #3
Iken Fityemean
Inactive

Iken Fityemean is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Free Router New Laptop

Thanks for that Aragorn. My mate sent me a PDF with the manual which confirms what you've said, though the way its worded I might have missed it if you hadn't mentioned it, quote "future support for WPA".
Iken Fityemean is offline   Reply With Quote