Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | RDP connection not working

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

RDP connection not working

Old 11-03-2008, 19:01   #1
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
RDP connection not working

Evening all,

Thought I'd try setting up my router to port forward 3389 (RDP) to my PC so I can access via the web, however it's not working.

When I launch mstsc.exe I put in the WAN IP address of the router and then RDP prompts for user ID and password - I put them in but it's rejected saying they are incorrect. I know they are correct. I've setup a test user as well but get the same issue.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Lee
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2008, 19:53   #2
joesnake
Inactive

joesnake will become famous soon enoughjoesnake will become famous soon enoughjoesnake will become famous soon enough
Re: RDP connection not working

You need to put in the ip address of your pc, not the router
joesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 20:11   #3
RDDearing
Inactive

RDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to RDDearing

From outside of your home you will need to put in the WAN IP of the router as this will forward on to your PC via the port forwarding you've already set up.

I assume you've turned Remote Desktop on on the client PC (Computer Properties -> Remote -> Allow Users to Connect Remotely To This Computer.

Do you have the Windows Firewall turned on? If so, have you allowed RDP through it?

Also, do you have an ATI graphics card? I ask because we had an oddity here with the shipped version of the Catalyst driver that caused RDP not to work! Upgrading to the latest version of the ATI software fixed the problem - weird eh but we weren't alone according to the web.

Finally, try looking in the Event Log of the computer you are trying to connect to - are there any entries that show a connection is being made and refused and if so, any reasons given?

Good luck!
RDDearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 20:21   #4
LSainsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesnake View Post
You need to put in the ip address of your pc, not the router
In where?

The port forward rule in the router is 192.168.1.99 - which is the fixed IP of my PC...

---------- Post added at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was at 20:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDDearing View Post
From outside of your home you will need to put in the WAN IP of the router as this will forward on to your PC via the port forwarding you've already set up.
Yep - thats what I'm doing 62.x.x.x

Quote:
I assume you've turned Remote Desktop on on the client PC (Computer Properties -> Remote -> Allow Users to Connect Remotely To This Computer.
Works fine from inside the LAN so I know RDP config / passwords are ok.

Quote:
Do you have the Windows Firewall turned on? If so, have you allowed RDP through it?
Got Kaspersky installed - it works inside the LAN so do I need to specificaly state in the RDP session in the firewall rules if it's coming from outside? This might be why it's not working.

Quote:

Also, do you have an ATI graphics card? I ask because we had an oddity here with the shipped version of the Catalyst driver that caused RDP not to work! Upgrading to the latest version of the ATI software fixed the problem - weird eh but we weren't alone according to the web.
Very odd! It might be - I'll have to check...

Quote:
Finally, try looking in the Event Log of the computer you are trying to connect to - are there any entries that show a connection is being made and refused and if so, any reasons given?

Good luck!
Checked the router log - nothing!
Old 11-03-2008, 20:26   #5
RDDearing
Inactive

RDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enough

Looking through the responses the only two points left uncertain are the firewall and the router. Do you have other port-forward rules set up on the router and if so, do they work? This would rule that out.

As for the firewall, I know a few firewalls make generous allowances on the subnet the client is on (in your case 192.168.1.x) but for any other client you may need to add a rule that allows port 3389 (or if listed, RDP) for any client obviously remembering that this means anyone can theoretically connect to you via RDP if they know the password. (Sorry, bad case of covering my back!)
Old 11-03-2008, 20:35   #6
LSainsbury

Quote:
Looking through the responses the only two points left uncertain are the firewall and the router. Do you have other port-forward rules set up on the router and if so, do they work? This would rule that out.
OK - I'll answer those...

No other port forwards on the router.

One one port forward:

Linksys Wireless-N ADSL2+ GatewayWAG325N
Applications & Gaming Tab, Single Port Forward
Application: RDP
External Port: 3389
Internal Port: 3389
Protocol: UDP
IP Address: 192.168.1.99
Enable: Ticked

Quote:
As for the firewall, I know a few firewalls make generous allowances on the subnet the client is on (in your case 192.168.1.x) but for any other client you may need to add a rule that allows port 3389 (or if listed, RDP) for any client obviously remembering that this means anyone can theoretically connect to you via RDP if they know the password. (Sorry, bad case of covering my back!)
No problem - fully understand the implications...
Old 11-03-2008, 20:37   #7
RDDearing
Inactive

Ahhh, just checked my own router - it's been ages since I set it up. I have the 3389 port forward set to TCP not UDP. This may also be a cause of the problem.
Old 11-03-2008, 20:55   #8
LSainsbury

Quote:
Ahhh, just checked my own router - it's been ages since I set it up. I have the 3389 port forward set to TCP not UDP. This may also be a cause of the problem.

Guess who got their UDP / TCP mixed up...

TCP - now it works - yay!

Thanks for the help all!

Old 11-03-2008, 21:05   #9
RDDearing
Inactive

Glad it's all working :-)
Old 11-03-2008, 21:56   #10
LSainsbury

Quote:
Glad it's all working :-)
Me too! Thanks again!
Old 12-03-2008, 09:37   #11
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Guess who got their UDP / TCP mixed up...

Never mind all works out in the end eh!
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote