Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | wireless modem/router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

wireless modem/router

Old 05-12-2007, 14:17   #1
dss
Inactive

dss is an unknown quantity at this point
wireless modem/router

Hi all,

I've just got my broadband up and running via Virgin, and now im in need of a wireless solution.

i'm after a wireless modem/router all in one so i can directly plug the cable connection into it and then wireless connect to my laptop.

is it possble to do without the Virgin modem? and get a box that does it in one?

im slightly confused..help

cheers
dss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2007, 14:28   #2
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
Re: wireless modem/router

I don't think you can. Cable only works with the modem supplied by VM (as its MAC address is registered to your account). So, you'll have to get a separate router and plug your existing modem into that.
Old 05-12-2007, 14:57   #3
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

danielf is right, and its very easy and relatively cheap to set up.

to the forum.

Take a look here.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 15:49   #4
dss
Inactive

dss is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers guys,

so that means i'm stuck with two boxes!! their modem and a separate router...

ok, i need to get one asap.. and theres tons out there can anybody pls recommend something decent for the price..

cheers
dss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 16:18   #5
Rockabilly Spike
Inactive

Rockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud of

i use the buffalo 125mb airstation one, loadsa places have it for less than 30 quid.
tis great. such an easy setup too
Rockabilly Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 16:49   #6
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Linksys WRT54G series of routers have been popular, but are getting a tad out of date now in terms of support for the faster wireless pre "n" speeds. Of course you'll only get those "n" speeds if your computer has a "n" standard card fitted.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote