Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VPN/Firewall keeps losing connection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VPN/Firewall keeps losing connection

Old 24-11-2007, 08:57   #1
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future
Question VPN/Firewall keeps losing connection

On my network i have a VPN/Firewall plugged into my router and plugged into the VPN is a wireless access point. Every so often i lose connection with my VPN and also seems i cant connect to that i cant get on the internet!

My Network: Link

Does anybody know why?
Callumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-11-2007, 10:09   #2
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age
Re: VPN/Firewall keeps losing connection

Not the simplest of home networks is it?

You don't really need the netgear VPN/Firewall for a start, and your using a wgr-614 router as an access point, so three routers in total. Lot's of things that could go wrong.

First thing to check is are you using the WAN port of the 614 or one of the LAN ports to link back to the Netgear Firewall/VPN, If you using WAN port, then that;s going to complicate things, because your essentially spliting of a private network into another private subnetwork.

Don't suppose you'd like to do the diagram again would you? only this time with IP address/ranges for all the equipment on the network. May help to locate the failure point.

You really need to sort yourself out with a decent networking book, read it and learn from it, instead of plugging things in and hoping they'll work.

As I said again, loose the VPN/Firwall, it's really meant so that remote workers can connect to a network remotely, or so that two private networks can be joined together. Your getting absolutely nothing from it.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2007, 11:37   #3
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Is that the DSL G624t wireless router...

I had no end of problems with the one of those I had locking up and therefore dropping all the traffic it was routing at the time.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2007, 14:02   #4
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

What the hell is going on there?

Scrap it all especially the D-Link POS at the beginning.

Get a decent Linksys or Netgear ADSL router with built in wireless, and connect the PCs up to it by ethernet. As for the VPN/Firewall a good router should do that anyway.

You're overcomplicating stuff by adding redundant rubbish which is making it look a right mess. I have cable modem, router, and then all the PCs connect to that.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 19:22   #5
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future

the reason i have all of it is cause i went to a shop and i wanted a dlink DSD-150, its a virus protection thing! but its only avaliable in the usa.

then the person behind the counter said you could use a firewall! so i did
Old 25-11-2007, 19:41   #6
nffc
cf.mega poster

nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

But a router with NAT is a de facto firewall anyway, so it's pointless.

Old 25-11-2007, 19:44   #7
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callumpy View Post
the reason i have all of it is cause i went to a shop and i wanted a dlink DSD-150, its a virus protection thing! but its only avaliable in the usa.

then the person behind the counter said you could use a firewall! so i did

Probably to sell you something
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 19:52   #8
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Old 25-11-2007, 20:12   #9
nffc
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callumpy View Post
Language, child

Old 25-11-2007, 21:25   #10
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

i hate the language filter! infact ive had a warnin for swearin! better stop!
Old 25-11-2007, 22:16   #11
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Just goes to prove the point that you need to read read and read before asking random questions with no context and then spending cash.
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 22:35   #12
nffc
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_and_Crazy View Post
Just goes to prove the point that you need to read read and read before asking random questions with no context and then spending cash.
Typical Year 8.

Old 26-11-2007, 17:04   #13
Callumpy
cf.mega poster