Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netgear Router just not working

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netgear Router just not working

Old 06-11-2007, 17:22   #1
Mike54
Inactive

Mike54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Netgear Router just not working

Hey all,
First post so im hoping im following forum rules and stuff right

Basically i've got a friend who I was asked to set up his wireless network for.

He uses cable (Virgin Media). Theres a few problems im having.

I've installed the wireless receiver usb stick and it picks up the network, and I logon to 192.168.1.1 and enter what I beleive are the correct settings.

Before this, for the computer to get a connection it took this route..

cable box thing > a small box with a port for a ethernet cable and usb > the usb cable goes to the PC.

The router takes this connection..

cable box thing > the small box > the port for the ethernet cable goes into the router

There is a wireless receiver in the computer, it picks up the network.

However the laptop finds the network, connects to it successfully, however it cant get online on the internet. It doesnt seen to realise the wireless network has internet access?

Another problem is that theres like 4 connections when you go in My Network Places on the PC, it should only be the one?

Thanks very much
Mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2007, 17:32   #2
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Re: Netgear Router just not working

Welcome to the forums..

What model router is it?

After you connected the router did you power everything up in the following order:

Modem (small boxy thingummy let it settle - wait for the lights to become steady)
Router (let it settle wait for the lights to be steady)
Laptop
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 17:33   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

to Cable Forum

Firstly you must power off the cable modem when swappiing over the device directly connected to it, be that a computer or router. The modem will only speak to a single device so you cannot have a USB and ethernet lead connected at the same time.

Try powering everything off, computer, router modem. Plug in ethernet from modem to the router WAN port, ethernet between router LAN and computer. Power on modem, allow to settle, power on router allow to settle, power on PC.

Computer network settings need to be on autodetect.

You aren't trying to use an ADSL based router are you ?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 18:01   #4
Mike54
Inactive

Mike54 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for the fast replys!

I beleive it to be the

rangemax wireless router WPN824 v 2

And im sure when i checked it out yesterday it was cable, but i'll do some googleing now.

---------- Post added at 18:01 ---------- Previous post was at 17:53 ----------

Hmm I read something that with cable you only get one IP address?
The laptop was getting an error about an IP confliction thing..
Mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 18:09   #5
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike54 View Post
Cheers for the fast replys!

I beleive it to be the

rangemax wireless router WPN824 v 2

And im sure when i checked it out yesterday it was cable, but i'll do some googleing now.

---------- Post added at 18:01 ---------- Previous post was at 17:53 ----------

Hmm I read something that with cable you only get one IP address?
The laptop was getting an error about an IP confliction thing..
If you didn't turn it off before putting the router into the configuration, or still have it plugged in via USB to the modem, it would already have had an IP address. That's why it's important to turn everything off & turn it on in the order above...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote