Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Setting up a Linksys WRT54GL Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Setting up a Linksys WRT54GL Router

Old 28-02-2007, 19:36   #1
djchapple
Inactive

Services: Now with Sky but wondering about VM
djchapple is an unknown quantity at this point
Setting up a Linksys WRT54GL Router

I have a 2 Mb connection with VM which works OK when the cable modem is connected directly to the computer by an Ethernet cable.

When i insert the router into the system following the instructions given on the accompanying CDROM I get as far as setting up the router when I am told that it cannot be set up automatically and I must enter the details myself.

I am asked for the following information:

(i) Connection (DCHP/PPPoE/Static IP/L2TP/TELSTRA)
(ii) IP address
(iii) Gateway
(iv) DNS1
(v) DNS2

My LAN comprises the WRT54GL router, a wired desktop, a wired HP Deskjet 6840 and wireless laptop (with a Linksys WPC54GS PCMCIA wireless card).

When the LAN is setup both the desktop (wired) and laptop (wireless) can send files to the printer (wired) where they are printed correctly.

My questions are these...

1. Why cannot the outer automatically set up the internet connections automatically?

2. Where can I find the information required in questions (i) to (v)?

I have looked on the VM website and in the data sent to me but i cannot find this information.
djchapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-02-2007, 19:47   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Setting up a Linksys WRT54GL Router

Are you powering off the modem, before you plug in the router, and ensuring no other cables from the modem connect to any PCs (USB or ethernet)?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:19   #3
djchapple
Inactive

Thanks for the reply.

No I have desktop and printer connected by wire and the laptop connected wirelessly.

I will try again with just the desktop connected and let you know the result.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:42   #4
Badders
Inactive

Badders is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you using a Cable Modem or a Set Top Box?

If a STP you need to go to the Router page which deals with "MAC Cloning" and enable it.
Badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 22:11   #5
djchapple
Inactive

I am usings an NTL 250 cable modem.
Old 01-03-2007, 22:20   #6
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I'd suggest a factory reset on the router, so you are back to standard settings, rather than anything the CD might have installed to the router. Additionally uninstall the CD stuff from your PC.

Make sure your ethernet connection on your computer is set to auto everything on the TCP/IP type settings in network connections. Your browser, (internet explorer) also needs to be auto for its connections under tools > options.

Now power everything off. Plug in the router WAN port to the modem ethernet. Plug a LAN port of the router to a PC. Now power up the modem, let settle, now the router, let settle, and finally the PC.
Hopefully now you will have a connection to the router and a connection from there to the internet.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 14:54   #7
djchapple
Inactive

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yesterday afternoon I contacted Linksys directly but did not expect a reply for a week or so. Imagine my amazement when I found a reply from then when I started the computer first thing this morning. The reply is a follows:

My suggestion is to configure the router manually. Please refer to the steps provided below:

Kindly reset the router first by pressing the Reset button at the back for 10-20 seconds.

1. Disconnect the modem from the router first, and connect the PC to the port one of the router then restart it. (This PC should be the one that can get online if directly connected to the modem)

2. Go to your desktop and double click on Internet Browser.

3. When browser opens, type 192.168.1.1 into the "Address" bar and click on Go.

4. The log-in window will appear.

5. Skip user name and type “adminâà ¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚ (admin is the default password) as the password, and click OK.

6. On the Setup page, please make sure that the Internet Connection Type is set to “Automatic Configuration – DHCP” or “Obtain an IP automatically”, then hit on Save Settings below.

7. Under the Setup tab, click on the MAC Address Clone sub tab and click on "Clone your PC's MAC" button, then save the settings.

8. Please go back to “Basic Setup”, then change the LAN IP address to 192.168.2.1, and then hit on Save Settings below. Don’t worry if the page will hang or lock up.

9. Shut down everything for 2 minutes.

10. Connect the modem to the Internet port of the router and power on. (Starting from the modem then the router and lastly your PC).

I hope this will help.

I followed the instructions to the letter and I can now access the net from both computer via the router.

It's not often that you get such fast and useful service these days.

Well done Linksys.
Old 28-05-2007, 00:10   #8
kiryl.m
Inactive

kiryl.m is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

I use wrt54gl to connect my laptop to home, ethernet based network, which has it's own DHCP and 4 ISP connections.
Does anybody know, is it possible to set up this router to work as a swich, I mean to allow me to get IP from network DHCP, to allow other network users acces my PC directly by IP in the same group as they are and so on?

Thanks in advance.
kiryl.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 00:44   #9
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiryl.m View Post
Hi Guys,

I use wrt54gl to connect my laptop to home, ethernet based network, which has it's own DHCP and 4 ISP connections.
Does anybody know, is it possible to set up this router to work as a swich, I mean to allow me to get IP from network DHCP, to allow other network users acces my PC directly by IP in the same group as they are and so on?

Thanks in advance.
What firmware are you using? Linksys's stuff or DD-WRT? or Tomato? or?
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 01:21   #10
kiryl.m
Inactive

kiryl.m is an unknown quantity at this point

Linksys wrt54gl broadband router.
kiryl.m is offline   Reply With Quote