Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Networking and effects on ethernet connection...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Networking and effects on ethernet connection...

Old 27-02-2007, 18:28   #1
chrisjones
Inactive

Services: 100mb BB TiVo 500gb TV L Phone - Evening / Weekends
chrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to chrisjones Send a message via MSN to chrisjones Send a message via Yahoo to chrisjones
Networking and effects on ethernet connection...

.... Before I network my two PC's via ethernet is there anything I need to do with regards to my internet connection? As im running that via ethernet I wanted to be sure that messing with the network settings would muck up my connection :-)

Ta very muchly

Chris.
chrisjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-02-2007, 18:31   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Networking and effects on ethernet connection...

Are you networking directly from PC to PC or through a piece of hardware such as a router?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 19:19   #3
chrisjones
Inactive

chrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to chrisjones Send a message via MSN to chrisjones Send a message via Yahoo to chrisjones

ok... so the laptops hooked up to 'Virgin' at home. I want to bring it into work and direct connect to my works machine.
Old 27-02-2007, 19:24   #4
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

In that case (if it's not there already) - Unless you buy a router which is the easiest and better (in that you don't have to have one PC turned on to get the Internet on the other) then you will need to put a second Network card (unless there's one already) in the computer you want to have the Internet/Share the Internet
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 19:34   #5
chrisjones
Inactive

haaaang on.

All I wanna do is connect the two machines to swap files.. not surf.

The laptop IS connected when im at home, I was concerned that connecting it to the works PC might effect it.